An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, gethin said:

Anyone used the gx80/5 and Nikon d53/5500?

I sold my Nikon D5300, which I liked very much, and bought Lumix GX80, which I start to like too now :) I like that 4K has a more detailed image in the result. But if there was a Nikon with no crop 4K and 5-axis stabilization, I would choose Nikon, since it also has nice flat profiles made by genius Lee Powell @LPowell

12 hours ago, Hene1 said:

It looks like there is huge amount of noise reduction. There is no skin texture left. Looks wrong.

43 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Nice constructive criticism. I agree that it's too smooth though, but it's still a nice frame I think.

Thank you, guys :) I did this smoothness on purpose. It is not a final frame, still experimenting with it. I used Midtone Detail in Davinci Resolve for the skin, that's why it looks a bit glamorous, because I need them to look a little bit younger in these scenes :)

1 hour ago, 7 Lakes said:

Thank you, guys :) I did this smoothness on purpose. It is not a final frame, still experimenting with it. I used Midtone Detail in Davinci Resolve for the skin, that's why it looks a bit glamorous, because I need them to look a little bit younger in these scenes :)

The criticism part was sarcasm. I thought he was being a bit harsh and not so much constructive in his criticism. Anyways, will there be a video you can post here when it's finished?

14 hours ago, 7 Lakes said:

I sold my Nikon D5300, which I liked very much, and bought Lumix GX80, which I start to like too now :) I like that 4K has a more detailed image in the result. But if there was a Nikon with no crop 4K and 5-axis stabilization, I would choose Nikon, since it also has nice flat profiles made by genius Lee Powell @LPowell

Ok good to know especially as I just bought one :). Got a deal in Australia with 12-35 and 45-150 lenses and 25mm 1.7 thrown in for free. Expecting these lenses to be kit lens tastic, but may use when I need auto focus. 

I have the feeling that we discussed this already. I have the issue, that the LCD screen is much brighter during standby while when recording or taking a picture - especially in low light - not only that the display is bright, but also that the image that the LCD shows me is much brighter. Anyone else with this issue and a solution to turn this off?

I finally got a chance to play around with some of the 8-bit color on the G6. Shooting profile was Natural, -5,-5,-5,-5. This frame was also taken with the ETC crop mode on, as I was using a C-mount lens. Aside from the obvious dynamic range issues, I felt it graded quite well. The GX85 is sure to outperform the G6 in terms of sharpness thanks to the lack of an AA filter, which is sure to make ETC much more usable.

EOSHD Demo 1.jpg

EOSHD Demo 2.jpg

whilst I'm waiting for it to arrive...

I have an original speedbooster, how much advantage is there to the new one?  I used to find the 11-16 tokina on the gh2 was super wideorooni. I calculated it will be equivalent to a 17mm full frame (11x2x1.1x0.7).  Does that sound right? I cant think of many fast ultra wide apsc lenses to adapt. I love the effective f2 of the tokina, but would also love a 14mm equivalent. (Which means 8-9 mm apsc).

Batteries: Bugger I forgot to buy extras. Any ebay ones OK? Hows the battery life? Can I power it off usb?

Any other bits and bobs I should get?

Just taken it spin.  A few things:

so I'm stuck to 50p? Not ntsc switchable? 

Is there a way to get it to display the shutter speed when You're in A or P mode?  I see in M its happy going down to 1/25th at 25fps.  I want to avoid that 360 degree shutter angle!

So do I need E-stablization on to get any stabilsation in video?

My custom profile is set to -5,-5,0,-3 for C,S,NR,Sat.  I did a custom curve too with +1 shad and -3 highlight.  looks quite nice.  will post a vid shortly