An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Maybe he means the Tascam DR-10CS?

OMG.  Thanks for this.  I don't know how this has flown under my radar!  

...oh...looks like this is why:

"I then saw that before they were even released they were discontinued in the US. I did quite a bit of research and it looks like Zaxcom sued Tascam for patent infringement and Tascam had to stop selling them in the US. Zaxcom has a similar device but it's over $1000."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The LS-5 and LS-7 are discontinued models. The current cheapest Olympus one is the LS-12. And it is $140. It is heavier (e.g., it uses two AA batteries, not one), but a little smaller, than the H1. You can get an H1 (BHPhotoVideo) for $80 or less. Its plastic build makes it lighter - very good - and has no effect on audio or longevity. The body is sensitive to handling noise, but if it is mounted on the camera and you do not touch it, it is ok.

7 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The LS-5 and LS-7 are discontinued models. The current cheapest Olympus one is the LS-12. And it is $140. It is heavier (e.g., it uses two AA batteries, not one), but a little smaller, than the H1. You can get an H1 (BHPhotoVideo) for $80 or less. Its plastic build makes it lighter - very good - and has no effect on audio or longevity. The body is sensitive to handling noise, but if it is mounted on the camera and you do not touch it, it is ok.

I found the build quality of the H1 to be horrible and the design just as bad. However, the audio quality is good, but at its size and build quality, I would choose the H2 or H2n over it. So for me, that's why I chose the Olympus, but to each their own. 

One is not going to mount an H2 on the GX85. One really needs the smallest size. It may be ugly and cheap-looking, but there are actually few reports of any problems with it, and the H1 has been around for more than 5 years. It's also not like you have to go through settings a lot - set it to 24 bit, 48Hz wav once (say) and forget. Then push buttons to set the levels. That's it; ergonomics are almost irrelevant.

Anyway, for fun (An H1 audio track, GX85 video):

My friend dropped his h1 from 5 feet onto carpet and it broke the mic capsule off. Again, for me, it's just too long. The point of the gx85 is its small footprint, the H1 will be too intrusive. I'd rather spend the extra hundred and get a Little Darling. 

It is longer than I like too. But, is that how you assess build quality of equipment, by what happens when you drop it by five feet? I do not expect any of my equipment to withstand a drop of five feet. Is the build quality of the Leica Nocticron bad because it breaks with a five-foot drop? What matters is lasting through normal equipment handling. Tell us how your Little darling does when you drop it five feet :).

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

It is longer than I like too. But, is that how you assess build quality of equipment, by what happens when you drop it by five feet? I do not expect any of my equipment to withstand a drop of five feet. Is the build quality of the Leica Nocticron bad because it breaks with a five-foot drop? What matters is lasting through normal equipment handling. Tell us how your Little darling does when you drop it five feet :).

Yes, I am 6'3". I have never dropped a piece of equipment, but if I ever do I only want to invest in equipment that has a fighting chance. I am really happy that you are happy with the H1!!! As I have said, the audio quality is excellent, but the form factor and build quality is not up to par for me. YMMV. 

7 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

"I then saw that before they were even released they were discontinued in the US. I did quite a bit of research and it looks like Zaxcom sued Tascam for patent infringement and Tascam had to stop selling them in the US. Zaxcom has a similar device but it's over $1000."

Yup. Stupid patent laws. It is rediculous that this is stopping it being sold. So sad.

On 22 August 2016 at 7:24 AM, jase said:

Interesting conversation about the H1 because I was thinking for getting it as well. I am only interested in ambient sounds, no interviews or whatsoever - do you guys still think that mounting the H1 on the hotshoe is an acceptable compromise? I want to keep things small.

Jase, I can't really recommend that setup as the zoom h1 is really sensitive to handling and wind due to the sensitivity of its microphones and the lightweight plastic body. I even tried using a rycote mount and I have a good deadcat (read head) for. It too. I eventually replaced it with the (discontinued) Sony ICDSX1000 which is smaller and more solid and had a built in USB connector and memory so I like that for convenience.

That recorder will have the same challenges as any mounted on the camera (wind, handling, distance from camera). I usually use that recorder for lav input or using its built in stand and mics to record a concert, syncing with the gx80 scratch audio in post.

I also have a used shure lenshopper with built in recorder if I want better ambient recording.

i also got good results with the rode video micro with my old g7 which had an input (not so good with em5ii with noisier preamps).

I'm still looking forward to getting my instamics via indigogo to make dual audio a little easier.

16 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

If you are in the US look up the juiced link little DARling. Does the same thing as the tascam.

Im also really looking for the instamic on indigogo to finally ship for a small good quality mic/recorder I can plant on things (like my kids).

13 hours ago, BucksterUK said:

I liked the look of the Sony ICD-SX2000  - but couldn't find much info on forums to how good the audio quality is - liked the form factor though

at £200 odd was too expensive just to take a punt on

I have the discontinued Sony icd-sx1000 which is pretty good and smaller/sturdier than my old h1. I read some old reviews that compare the quality to the much larger Sony dc-10. I am thinking of buying another if I can find on clear out discount (got mine for around £100).

Some people don't like the built in USB and battery and memory (can add micro-sd. I like that everything is contained and small and it comes with case and little flip stand. I've used the built in mics and lav input and both are good.

@sgreszcz: thanks for your answer. This somehow is also my conclusion after creating a paper-based dummy of any of the possible recorders. I just see no real good placing on the camera for which I either can make sure that I wouldnt touch the recorder while operating the camera that also would fit my bag... I mean the recorder would have to be extremely small so that mounting on an hotshoe would make any sense. 

If i would mount it on a hotshoe, i would place it in parallel to the camera body so that it fits my bag. Yet, this is not the ideal position + it is quite possible that I would touch the recorder while hitting any buttons.

Mh, tough decision. Anyways I think that in my case, the most important aspect is the smallest size possible, even if I have to sacrifice quality. Anything should be better than the onboard mic.

31 minutes ago, jase said:

@sgreszcz: thanks for your answer. This somehow is also my conclusion after creating a paper-based dummy of any of the possible recorders. I just see no real good placing on the camera for which I either can make sure that I wouldnt touch the recorder while operating the camera that also would fit my bag... I mean the recorder would have to be extremely small so that mounting on an hotshoe would make any sense. 

If i would mount it on a hotshoe, i would place it in parallel to the camera body so that it fits my bag. Yet, this is not the ideal position + it is quite possible that I would touch the recorder while hitting any buttons.

Mh, tough decision. Anyways I think that in my case, the most important aspect is the smallest size possible, even if I have to sacrifice quality. Anything should be better than the onboard mic.

If that's what your needs are, then maybe you should pick up the Little Darling or Tascam equivalent, and then pick up a tiny stick microphone, or one of those Sony T-shaped stereo mics. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=225510&gclid=CMrrmuLB184CFZNZhgodNMMF5Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&Q=&A=details

46 minutes ago, mercer said:

If that's what your needs are, then maybe you should pick up the Little Darling or Tascam equivalent, and then pick up a tiny stick microphone, or one of those Sony T-shaped stereo mics. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=225510&gclid=CMrrmuLB184CFZNZhgodNMMF5Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C&Q=&A=details

Or in a pinch use your mobile phone and a plug-in X-Y mic (sony, zoom, rode) or something like the Rode smartLav+ and the Rode or Tascam apps.  I've used the Smartlav+ for the interview here (with the silicon rode invisilav to isolate the mic from noise).  Downside is that you lose the use of your phone.

Interesting suggestions. Since i have my iPhone all the time with my, this could be an interesting proposition. Is there some kind of wireless / bluetooth(?) microphone that i could put on my hotshoe, while my iphone is the recorder?