An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

16 hours ago, tupp said:

Friendly reminder:  avoid blocking the light fixture's ventilation holes when using blackwrap.  Leave plenty of room around the vents (both top vents and bottom vents) for convection:  cool air comes in the bottom; hot air goes out the top.

Hey Tupp,

oh boy, seems like you´re right. Just got started with the practical ways of lighting, not just making up my mind about theory.

Don´t even know right now, where the heat sink is of that light. It´s a so called red head. Maybe gonna post a screenshot or footage soon.

Thanks for sharing! cheers

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I agree, I think the GX85 is a lot cleaner in the shadows than the G7. ISO 800, SEEMS, to be completely noise free at 1-2 stops under. Of course I have been exposing differently since I picked up the XC10. With the G7, I used 100% zebras to expose to the left, with the XC10 I learned quickly that you need to underexpose... Or expose to the center for best results.

Hey Merce!:)

So GX is even better in the shadows than G7? That´s something I would most certainly love to believe! Great news.

What do you mean exposing for the center? I most the time expose for the mids. Going close with the cam and metering with my cam.

Time to get a lightmeter, sekonic or something. Did some lighting last week for comparing G6 and 600D. If G7 and GX80 really

mean a quantum leap in the shadows compared to G6 would be awesome. For the comparision I must realise that 600D had more dynamic range

than G6 regarding to our maybe faulty setup. Maybe it is the lens, FD 50mm 1.4 on G6 VS Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.4.

I held a Oly EM10ii with additional grip in my hand a few days ago. When doing street photography I approached another guy running around with that beauty.

Felt awesome in the hand. GX85 in the stores didnt feel too great. Googled for a grip. Found this: J.B. Wood Grip. Looks like a nice addtion for the GX85.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@PannySVHS

"So GX is even better in the shadows than G7? That´s something I would most certainly love to believe! Great news."

It seems that way from my preliminary tests. I am heading out today to give her some gas, so I'll report back later.

"What do you mean exposing for the center? I most the time expose for the mids. Going close with the cam and metering with my cam."

Yeah, that's basically what I mean. Before I would rely on the zebras to show up and then dial down either the exposure, ISO, or ND to right below clipping. Now I only use the zebras as a warning for excessive clipping but have found that the camera's meter is a better gauge... For me anyway. So exposing to the center would mean that the histogram is not pushing to the right or the left but the info is in the center.

"I held a Oly EM10ii with additional grip in my hand a few days ago. When doing street photography I approached another guy running around with that beauty.

Felt awesome in the hand. GX85 in the stores didnt feel too great. Googled for a grip. Found this: J.B. Wood Grip. Looks like a nice addtion for the GX85."

Yeah those Olympus' look really nice. They were never really on my radar until I saw John Brawley's recent video, but in reality it seems that anyone who ever uses one is impressed. 

I use a strap with the GX85, so the grip isn't horrible, but it could be a little better. For now, it's fine. If I start shooting more serious work with it, I will rig it up to a small L-Bracket so I can have plenty of cold shoes for external recorder, rode, etc. 

Carry on, I look forward to some more hula hoop action from that pretty lady of yours. 

Loving my GX80 but noticed a weird feature which I am not sure if a feature or software bug

If you use 1080 and the ex telephoto conversation when you focus before starting to record it looks out of focus

Yet as soon as you press record the live view looks right as in - in focus and sharp

Almost as if before you start recording it is sending the wrong processed image to the live view

It disconcerting as you think you do not have focus (or worse) before you start recording

Any ideas ?  Thanks

51 minutes ago, BucksterUK said:

Loving my GX80 but noticed a weird feature which I am not sure if a feature or software bug

If you use 1080 and the ex telephoto conversation when you focus before starting to record it looks out of focus

Yet as soon as you press record the live view looks right as in - in focus and sharp

Almost as if before you start recording it is sending the wrong processed image to the live view

It disconcerting as you think you do not have focus (or worse) before you start recording

Any ideas ?  Thanks

I cant confirm that. I am using 1080p and ex tele converter and on my GX80, the preview is always sharp once i focus.

1 hour ago, BucksterUK said:

Any ideas ?  Thanks

Don't panic, i have this problem on my G7 too.

So, I had my first go with the GX85... awesome little camera... well worth what I paid for it.

I have to adjust Saturation a little. On my monitor, the levels look fine, but when I watch it on one of my TVs, it is definitely over-saturated. I am going to try lowering my in camera saturation a tick or two. For this video, the in camera settings were... Contrast -5, Sharpness -5, Noise Reduction -5, Saturation -2. I'm going to try -3 and -5 next. I used FilmConvert for correction/grading. And the music is by Kevin McLeod.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, I had my first go with the GX85... awesome little camera... well worth what I paid for it

Looks great! I liked the greens very much. Which profile did you use? Sky at 01:00 looks very purple, but other than that.. great!

The music freaks me out btw :)

2 minutes ago, jase said:

Looks great! I liked the greens very much. Which profile did you use? Sky at 01:00 looks very purple, but other than that.. great!

The music freaks me out btw :)

Haha, yeah the music is definitely eerie, that guy has some great royalty free music. That shot was giving me problems all over the place, I used AWB for that shot and I think there were just too many mixes of shade and sun that confused it. I either used Portra or 160s. I have the stand alone version, so this was the first time I ever sent out an XML from FCPX to FC, needless to say I had some issues, so I had about 3 different versions before this one and I honestly forget which of the two profiles I used. I seem to like Portra the best, so it is probably that. Did it look over-saturated on your screen? On my macbook and iPhone it looks as intended, but on my TVs, it does not... which is really annoying.

No, I have a JVC and a Roku TV... I think it's a TCL. I wonder what the best method is to ensure that color looks acceptable on multiple platforms and devices. Obviously, I can't control how people have their settings, but is it commonplace to desaturate to the lowest preferred levels?

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

No, I have a JVC and a Roku TV... I think it's a TCL. I wonder what the best method is to ensure that color looks acceptable on multiple platforms and devices. Obviously, I can't control how people have their settings, but is it commonplace to desaturate to the lowest preferred levels?

I had the same question, see here: 

Long story short: bought the device, used it and now everything is totally fine, yet this freakin Sony..

9 minutes ago, jase said:

I had the same question, see here: 

Long story short: bought the device, used it and now everything is totally fine, yet this freakin Sony..

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I did the same thing as you originally did... I set the display in preferences to RGB. I've definitely noticed a difference since I did it, but I am always second guessing myself with color since I usually have such a rough go of it.

Funny thing is, when I have a question I need answering and I Google it, I usually find the answer on EOSHD. This is such a helpful community!!!

Hey @mercer!

These are some luscious greens! BTW went for bidding on that Minolta 35mm 1.8 you recommended. Went away for 160 USD.

Seems a great choice.

With the hoola hoop artist, I call her that, it was a documentary opportunity, so no follow up footage on that:)

But gonna post some Panny G6 grading b4 and after to get some more feedback on Panasonic 8bit colors.

cheers

12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey @mercer!

These are some luscious greens! BTW went for bidding on that Minolta 35mm 1.8 you recommended. Went away for 160 USD.

Seems a great choice.

With the hoola hoop artist, I call her that, it was a documentary opportunity, so no follow up footage on that:)

But gonna post some Panny G6 grading b4 and after to get some more feedback on Panasonic 8bit colors.

cheers

So, you won it for $160?

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while partially due to my interest in the GX85 as A-Camera for a creative project running through my brain but also due to the peppering of advice regarding other lumix cameras. 

In June I was hired to document a whitewater rafting trip in Colorado and didn't want to rent or borrow any gear in case it got water damaged. I found a lightly used G6 on eBay for $150! The catch was that the lens contacts were broken so no  AF or electronic aperture. 

With that limitation in mind, I shot the job with an old Fuji 12.5-75mm c-mount lens and managed to keep everything dry. 

Now that the job's done, I'm looking to do more work with that camera. My company uses GH4's at work so it could be a good B-Cam once I test and tweak the settings to my liking. 

Thsnks for all your information, it's been helpful. 

1 hour ago, Connor Rickman said:

In June I was hired to document a whitewater rafting trip in Colorado and didn't want to rent or borrow any gear in case it got water damaged. I found a lightly used G6 on eBay for $150! The catch was that the lens contacts were broken so no  AF or electronic aperture. 

Damn, that is quite a great bargain you caught yourself! 

12 minutes ago, sjg98 said:

Anyone using native primes for video on the GX85? 

The PanaLeica 12/1.4 and 15/1.7 seem like interesting focal lengths. 

Funny thing is, I was just going to ask the opposite... Is anyone using vintage primes. 

I have noticed that due to the size and shape of the body, a lot of vintage primes are too front heavy for the body and makes it an ergonomical mess when using IBIS. My Nikkor 28mm f2, which is one of my favorite lenses of all time feels completely unbalanced and awkward on the GX75. I'm bummed too because I sold the AI version a few months back, but recently bought the ai-s version because I missed it so much.

But to answer your actual question, no I don't have any Panasonic lenses, but I do have the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and it is a blast to use. Set the camera to manual focus, hit your mark in the foreground, pan or tilt, then touch the AFL button and the results are a beautifully smooth rack focus with a pan or tilt.

I like the clinically sharp look too. Now I'm intrigued by the f/1.4 Contemporary version of the Sigma... Does anyone have that?