An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On July 14, 2016 at 2:22 AM, John Matthews said:

AS WELL AS outputting the full 4K 422 feed to an external recorder for high bitrate ProRes at the same time.

Is it already confirmed or written somewhere that it outputs 4K 4.2.2. ? Still 8bit?

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I purchased the BMMCC about 2 months ago, and although I really like the picture quality, and being able to use my small collection of old c-mount lenses with it, I hate the form factor.

But BMMCC has ProRes, RAW and Global Shutter! All of these already give a huge step forward when comparing it to Nikon D5500 or Lumix GX80/85. I can't believe you didn't like the form factor of a small camera! Did you sell it? I owned Nikon D5300 which I liked VERY much. Now I have Lumix GX80. I would no doubt purchase BMMCC if it had 4K :) But now, for an A-Camera, I follow news about Kinefinity Terra 5K.

13 minutes ago, 7 Lakes said:

But BMMCC has ProRes, RAW and Global Shutter! All of these already give a huge step forward when comparing it to Nikon D5500 or Lumix GX80/85. I can't believe you didn't like the form factor of a small camera! Did you sell it? I owned Nikon D5300 which I liked VERY much. Now I have Lumix GX80. I would no doubt purchase BMMCC if it had 4K :) But now, for an A-Camera, I follow news about Kinefinity Terra 5K.

The BMMCC never got the global shutter. It was canned last minute. Like I said, I love the picture quality, it's beautiful. It made me realize I don't really need 4K, it's just the form factor that I dislike. The camera is literally the size of a Rubik's Cube, but when you add a 5" monitor and cables and a small rig, it's basically the size of a prosumer camcorder without the ergonomics of one. I haven't sold it yet, my XC10 is supposed to arrive today, so I am waiting to see how I get along with it before I get rid of the BMMCC. Since the XC10 has a fixed lens, I may pick up a D5500 or the GX85 so I can use my lenses... Probably the GX85 since it will give me more lens option plus IBIS. 

HI everyone,

I am new to fotography/videography, but it is very intereting and there is so much to learn. :-) So through reading on this website I learn a lot of you guys (thx 4 that). I get you guys using negativ values on your picture profiles to have more flexibility in post. Would this not make it necessary to under expose a shot/video so it will not blow out later in post? I can't find any rule/chart so I would know how much to under expose, so it will be fine when working with the material? Maybe because I use the wrong terms to search or I am maybe not grasping something important?

Can someone maybe please point me in the right direction (correct term used or adjust my understanding)?

Thx

4 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Took some quick shots in the woods. Gotta say I really like the colors and DR of this camera! 

This looks great!!! I should take color finale lessons from you, because this is the look I have been trying to get and usually come up short. Do you uses LUTS, curves, vector?

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I like the 20mm lens.  Small and unobtrusive, as you say.

Indeed. Unfortunately, it has a quite longish focus throw which makes focus pulls once again quite tricky. Next to that the focus ring is very stiff, grindy - the absolute opposite what i am used to by the voigt.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

This looks great!!! I should take color finale lessons from you, because this is the look I have been trying to get and usually come up short. Do you uses LUTS, curves, vector?

Thanks man, that means a lot! 

Hehe, I don't know about lessons but I can tell how I grade with Color Finale. I'm still learning too. I guess you have you seen Denver's tutorials?

I didn't use any LUT as I was going for a natural look and I think most LUT's are too stylized. Some LUT's can be good for a base grade though. 

I used Standard 0, -5, -5, 0 with WB set to Sunny, which was to blue for my taste. I didn't set A3G3 as in my test it made a white wall yellow. I have to test more in different settings, but for now I prefer to fine tune WB in post. Most shots were f/1.4 btw.

In Color Finale I first add Color Wheels and adjust exposure looking at the RGB parade. Then I add another Color Wheels and set saturation, in this case 1,1. Mostly I raise it between 1,0 and 1,1 or don't touch it at all, and a few rare times I lower it a bit. Then I add a third Color Wheels and adjust gain to set WB, which is a little tricky as you probably know. Usually it is enough to adjust the gain, but sometimes I also adjust gamma and lift, although not in this video. The last thing I did was to add Curves and pull down the shadows in the blue channel. This really helped getting that warm feeling. 

So basically I adjust exposure and WB using 3 x Color Wheels, and fine tune with curves and vectors if needed. The reason I use 3 Color Wheels is to see what every little adjustment does so It's easier to go back and forth. 

Here's before and after:Before.jpgAfter.jpg

I see DXOMark has reviewed the GX80 now - looks good to me

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Panasonic-Lumix-GX80-GX85-sensor-review-Diminutive-design

similar DR to the APS-C sensor in my Nex 5n - which matches my qualitative views from the photos I've taken so far

Bought a Hoya Pro ND16 filter the other day - what a difference it makes to the video quality

I've seen a few complaints around various forums about the Dynamic Range on the GX80 in video - I'm surprised

After 4 days of comparisons I decided to let t my a6300 go and keep the GX85.I had the the a6300 since March so I'm aware of its advantages but decided IBS,touch screen and affordable lenses were more important than great CAF,S-log and a microphone input.I simply like the image and colors of the GX85 better,no it's not as detailed as the A6300 but it has a certain magic to it.Also I was rather surprised by the GX85 photo quality which has greatly improved since last time I owned a panasonic camera,the famous GH2.

I came to my final decision to keep the Panny after my A6300 kept overheating while at the Museum with my kids.I wasn't doing long takes just 40 sec clips and taking photos smh. I hope Panasonic oneday adds Phase Detection AF and a Mic input to a camera of this form factor and stability,a log profile wouldn't hurt either.

decided.jpg

@jase Nice footage indeed!

On July 24, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Thanks man, that means a lot! 

Hehe, I don't know about lessons but I can tell how I grade with Color Finale. I'm still learning too. I guess you have you seen Denver's tutorials?

I didn't use any LUT as I was going for a natural look and I think most LUT's are too stylized. Some LUT's can be good for a base grade though. 

I used Standard 0, -5, -5, 0 with WB set to Sunny, which was to blue for my taste. I didn't set A3G3 as in my test it made a white wall yellow. I have to test more in different settings, but for now I prefer to fine tune WB in post. Most shots were f/1.4 btw.

In Color Finale I first add Color Wheels and adjust exposure looking at the RGB parade. Then I add another Color Wheels and set saturation, in this case 1,1. Mostly I raise it between 1,0 and 1,1 or don't touch it at all, and a few rare times I lower it a bit. Then I add a third Color Wheels and adjust gain to set WB, which is a little tricky as you probably know. Usually it is enough to adjust the gain, but sometimes I also adjust gamma and lift, although not in this video. The last thing I did was to add Curves and pull down the shadows in the blue channel. This really helped getting that warm feeling. 

So basically I adjust exposure and WB using 3 x Color Wheels, and fine tune with curves and vectors if needed. The reason I use 3 Color Wheels is to see what every little adjustment does so It's easier to go back and forth. 

Here's before and after:Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Good workflow. Thanks. I always find it very helpful to see before and afters and then the modus operandi. I have a lot of similar shots in a short I am working on. I am not that proficient with color, so these little tips are priceless. Thanks again.