An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

The voigtlanders really do transform M43 to deliver a dreamy look - especially the 25 / .095

here are my shots with a GH4.  

The GX80 would be a mean low light low profile combo with this lens - I tried the combo in store (i didnt purchase a gX80 as I am waiting on the GH5) and THE IBIS was awesome with the NON IS VOIGT 25

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

The voigtlanders really do transform M43 to deliver a dreamy look - especially the 25 / .095

here are my shots with a GH4.  

The GX80 would be a mean low light low profile combo with this lens - I tried the combo in store (i didnt purchase a gX80 as I am waiting on the GH5) and THE IBIS was awesome with the NON IS VOIGT 25

Given their weight and size, I think you're right in waiting for the GH5. It seems like a better fit. The GX80 is, IMO, just a smaller option instead of the GH5... for those don't want/need to deal with logs or size. From what I hear, it's going to have at least all of the features of the GX80 with a super-fast processor in a bigger body... probably right up your alley. :) 

Hey guys,

i recently joined the gx80 community and really love this camera so far. I tried to go through all the posts, but still have a question concerning the recording format.

In 4k you can just record in mp4, in hd also in avchd. Do you see any advantage/disadvantage in Quality choosing one over the other while shooting in hd?

thanks

ben

4 hours ago, mat33 said:

I've been seriously considering the GX80 as the IBIS looks good, but I did a quick shoot today and decided to take my E-M1 along (in all of its 24Mbit glory :-) ).  Man, it quickly reminded me why I like olympus so much for low-profile run and gun- the ergonomics just click for me and the single AF + manual focus is such a pleasure to use.  Can anyone with an olympus and GX80 chip in on how they compare usability/ergonomics wise? 

After today, I'm thinking I might just hold out for the E-M1 mark ii which will hopefully even the IQ gap....

I have the GX80 and an EM5 MK II. I think just about everything is superior in the Panasonic file wise but he Olympus is a much nicer camera to use and the EVF is much, much better than the Panasonic (which I would describe as being usable but not much more). 

after running around with the GX80 and the voigtländer 25, i have collected so much material i will be busy with editing it for weeks :) In my opinion, the GX80 is not too small for it, at least for me. The more I shoot with this combo, the less I get why I ever abandoned it...

P1040145.JPG

Std -5/-5/-5/-5 with WB cloudy preset (A3G3) & Tiffen Ultra Contrast. ooc.

12 minutes ago, jase said:

after running around with the GX80 and the voigtländer 25, i have collected so much material i will be busy with editing it for weeks :) In my opinion, the GX80 is not too small for it, at least for me. The more I shoot with this combo, the less I get why I ever abandoned it...

Good to hear it doesn't feel big. It probably helps with IS too. From the video I posted earlier, it looks like you have a sweet setup. Good luck with all the editing, hopefully not as tiring as in the photo! :) 

9 hours ago, DPC said:

I have the GX80 and an EM5 MK II. I think just about everything is superior in the Panasonic file wise but he Olympus is a much nicer camera to use and the EVF is much, much better than the Panasonic (which I would describe as being usable but not much more). 

Thanks, I suspected as much. I think I'll wait and see what Olympus comes up the the E-M1 mark ii, will it be the fabled mirrorless unison of great ergonomics, EVF, IBIS, battery life, and IQ.......

3 hours ago, jase said:

P1040145.JPG

Std -5/-5/-5/-5 with WB cloudy preset (A3G3) & Tiffen Ultra Contrast. ooc.

What is (A3G3)? I read someone John Matthews(?) mention something similar on this thread or somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Its a sub modification within the white balance setting. There's a color graph/grid with numeric values. A3G3 references these color settings. 

Oh ok, thanks.  Is it like the Olympus layout. The colored grid with boxes?

1 minute ago, fuzzynormal said:

I use the A3G3 setting as well. 

Ok. I have been doing the Custom White Balance for most (Panasonic) Cameras. It's ok, but has some strange green or orange tint. I guess, this seems much better. 

Concerning white balance and other settings, I've been using Sunny (A3G3) and Tungsten(A3G3), depending on the project. I'm of the school of thought to maintain consistency and just stick with it, letting colors fall where they may. @Inazuma came up with A3G3. The reason for my using it was due to the blue channel dipping into the 0%-5%. Panasonic's implementation of the 8-bit codec is excellent, but there just isn't much information in that range because it (correctly) put most of the information in the 5%-95% range. The same thing happens at the 95%-100%. @jase is using a Tiffen filter to lower the contrast even further... resulting in a nice effect too. Finally, I think it's almost a toss-up between Standard or Natural, as long as everything is set at -5, the channels will be clean. I gave Natural a slight edge though.

The image from gx80 might be usable indeed. Here's some CC I've made. Thanks Jase for a source. I went for a kodak portra look, so forgive me a low key, hi saturated, a bit out of date touch. There is a slight muchy digital-noise but I presume in movement It would vanish in action. From story point of view, I'd be more than happy with this kind of image on full screen.

Question: has anybody tried to use external recorder and prores workflow? What about 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi output claim from few pages back. Is it confirmed/rejected?

cc_01.jpg