An adventure into the Panasonic GX85/80 begins - and a look at the Leica Nocticron for Micro Four Thirds

Andrew Reid

21 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Does anyone know if it's still a "thing" to downscale 4k to 1080p for easier editing and improved video 1080p quality? If so, do you have an ffmpeg command that would work with the GX80? My old ffmpeg command for doing this doesn't work and I don't know why. This is what I got so far:

ffmpeg -i INPUT -filter_complex 'extractplanes=y+u+v[y][v]; scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=print_info+neighbor+bitexact [us]; [v] scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=print_info+neighbor+bitexact [vs]; [y][us][vs]mergeplanes=0x001020:yuv444p,format=pix_fmts=yuv444p10le,scale=w=1920:h=1080:flags=print_info+bicubic+full_chroma_inp+full_chroma_int' \
  -sws_dither none \
  -q 0 -quant_mat hq \
  -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 4 \
  -c:a copy \
  -c:s copy \
OUTPUT

use this

http://hdcinematics.com/Convert-V3.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

Can you explain where I can learn more about this?  Any tips about direct Facebook uploading as it generally looks the most horrible?

I researched this some time ago. For Youtube (don't know about other services), the max allowed bitrate for 4k 24-30p is 35-45Mbps. Youtube, in turn, will downscale when they "process" your video. Numerous youtubers have noted that when you upload 4k and let youtube downscale, the results are better than when you upload 1080p 8Mbps. I concur on these results. In short, you want to upload to the absolute maximum that the service provides as those are the limitations of the service.

For Facebook, maybe try here:

http://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/best-video-format-for-facebook.htm

Also remember that Facebook declares ownership of anything you upload to its services... not nice.

5 minutes ago, Cippo said:

Looks good, but unfortunately I refuse to use Microsoft Windows. Bummer... really want ffmpeg command...

I think I found out what went wrong with my ffmpeg command. I had to remove "-sws_dither none \" and it worked. That said, it helped my computer only a little. I think I'll be purchasing a fast/large SSD and stick with the 4k. I will say for anyone thinking that a Panasonic image looks "too video-like," downscaling footage to 1080p, then upscaling to 4k will help everything to look more organic- just a hint of softness at 4k resolution. There's a loss of some detail, but it's damn good 1080p! :) 

Anyway, here's the working script:

ffmpeg -i INPUT -filter_complex 'extractplanes=y+u+v[y][v]; scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=print_info+neighbor+bitexact [us]; [v] scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=print_info+neighbor+bitexact [vs]; [y][us][vs]mergeplanes=0x001020:yuv444p,format=pix_fmts=yuv444p10le,scale=w=1920:h=1080:flags=print_info+bicubic+full_chroma_inp+full_chroma_int' \
  -q 0 -quant_mat hq \
  -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 4 \
  -c:a copy \
  -c:s copy \
OUTPUT

What do you guys think of this, I am doing multicopter aerial shots of houses, boats, cars, landscapes etc.  I need a small camera with good image quality and will be using a gremsy h3 gimbal. What camera would you pick of the bmpcc and the gx80?   I can buy them for the same price.

41 minutes ago, sanveer said:

ANDREW REID

Your GX85 Review is overdue. Impatience is afflicting my mind. Cannot wait much longer. ;-)

The GX80 is one of the most popular cameras on EOSHD if the number of views on its threads is an indicator. This thread has been going strong for quite some time. I doubt the GH5 is going to be at Photokina, given that the EM1 II launch has been delayed until early 2017. The GX80 is all we got right now; so, let's give it our undivided attention. :) 

17 hours ago, mercer said:

Honestly. That's probably the nicest footage I have seen from the camera.

Hi, I´m Javier and I´m the autor of this video, sorry my English is so bad!!. I am very grateful for the nice comments. I love this forum, I have learnt a lot about filmmaking for years as a follower of EOSHD. Talking about the video, in camera setting was Natural Profile all parameters -3 noises reduction -2, i-dynamic and i-resolution OFF. A few shots in 4k and the rest of them 1080 50p for slow motion. Everything was shot hand-held. It was edited in Final Cut Pro X, I applied post-stabilization in a couple of shots, I don't remember which of them. The primary color correction of each shot was made in this program too with color correction tool and finally I applied film convert plugin in a adjustment layer to all the video.

Greetings to all you, and thanks again, nice to be here!

7 hours ago, Javier López said:

Thanks Michael! I used the GH4 Natural Profile, KD P400 Ptra, film color 90% and film grain 30%. 

Welcome, @Javier López, to posting on EOSHD! It would seem you chose Filmconvert settings similar to mine and @jase. However, we preferred without noise added. My logic is this: why add noise when this sensor does a pretty good job unless it's for a desired look or feel? Strictly personal taste... Great video nonetheless! Also, your English is fine (I'm an English teacher). :) 

23 hours ago, Mikaelj said:

What do you guys think of this, I am doing multicopter aerial shots of houses, boats, cars, landscapes etc.  I need a small camera with good image quality and will be using a gremsy h3 gimbal. What camera would you pick of the bmpcc and the gx80?   I can buy them for the same price.

In theory is a very good camera. It's MUCH better to use a 4K cam for drones. But if you are money tight and can't fail, I would search the gimbal+camera combination in YouTube. Too many anti-vibration systems can conflict instead of help!

5 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Welcome, @Javier López, to posting on EOSHD! It would seem you chose Filmconvert settings similar to mine and @jase. However, we preferred without noise added. My logic is this: why add noise when this sensor does a pretty good job unless it's for a desired look or feel? Strictly personal taste... Great video nonetheless! Also, your English is fine (I'm an English teacher). :) 

Thanks John! Yes, Adding noise was a totally aesthetic choice, I wanted a little rough look for this video. I also own a GH4 and I pleased to say that Panasonic has improve the color a lot in the GX80, the yellowness of the GH4 natural profile has gone. In my opinion the GX80 has a more pleasant and organic tone. I also notice a huge improvement in terms of noise in dark areas and in underexposed images, I believe that It was the weakest point in GH4. Until now, I am very happy with this little monster, I would like to keep on making more test and comparisons between GX80 and GH4.