I am depressed by the lack of articles on this blog.

Michal Gajdoš

I think the counter to the trend of endless repackaging of other peoples' content, reviews, tutorials, whatever (NFS style) is producing well thought out and researched stuff which doesn't address specific cameras, rather discusses concepts. It certainly takes way more time, but the result is arguably more valuable. Back when I was occasionally posting stuff on my own site it would take around up to 2 weeks for an article (text + illustrations). Now obviously this isn't viable in a commercial setting, but it does attract a certain kind of audience. And I'd argue it's the better kind.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The crux of it is this -

We are a community, a part of the larger photography city, inspired by cinema and hollywood. The DSLR revolution was truly a moment of magic, unleashing all kinds of passion.

Passion is a motivation, it gets things done.

What has happened to this community is that Corporate America and Corporate Japan have segmented it in half, like slicing a neighbourhood in half with a wall.

We have the NewsShooter and Cinema5D managed communities on one side with their C300 Mark IIs and paid work, NoFilmSchool with their venture capitalist funding and team of staffers.

On the other side we have the artists.

Yes, artists sometimes make bank commercials!!! (Disclaimer)

Anyway the point is, that EOSHD and the forum is a great community but it's really up against it now.

The premise that anyone can publish gear-orientated opinion pieces has lead to an over-supply of content, much of it rushed, in order to make it timely, because on the internet and Facebook timeliness is everything and a 2 day old post is trash.

The internet started as a resource base, a researcher's tool which acts like a big encyclopaedia.

For better or worse, since it became mass market, the internet changed and evolved into an entertainment platform and a social network "CelebrityNet"

In order to combine the two - entertainment and information, you need to present the information in an entertaining way, no shit huh!? But you also need passion to drive it.

I'd like to think that in the DSLR video world myself and Philip Bloom have succeeded in doing this.

But eventually I lose my passion and Philip dedicates himself to work. It's a shame, but it's on that path.

What needs to happen is that EOSHD becomes a team of people rather than just me, and that it puts on a good show for YouTube, in the mould of Top Gear or The Grand Tour where presenters travel the world and shoot really beautifully entertaining short films, with the latest camera kit. It's exactly like driving a car through spectacular scenery and presenting the information with wit. I'm amazed nobody has done this yet, however when you consider this...

This is one of the most expensive and time consuming form of content there is. I'm up for doing it. It's very difficult though and I don't yet have a team, I don't have the enormous amount of money and I don't have the platform behind me (like Amazon).

Yet!

Until then there's Lok at Digital Rev.

8 minutes ago, cpc said:

I think the counter to the trend of endless repackaging of other peoples' content, reviews, tutorials, whatever (NFS style) is producing well thought out and researched stuff which doesn't address specific cameras, rather discusses concepts. It certainly takes way more time, but the result is arguably more valuable. Back when I was occasionally posting stuff on my own site it would take around up to 2 weeks for an article (text + illustrations). Now obviously this isn't viable in a commercial setting, but it does attract a certain kind of audience. And I'd argue it's the better kind.

I agree with you completely.

Actually when EOSHD began, it was more of a 7 posts a week site and a few rumours too, sometimes from good sources, and it grabbed attention and inspired me to build the community and put interesting stuff out there, like a band of GH2 pirates fighting the Canon flagship.

When you want to increase the quality of the content by yourself you have to spend weeks or months on it and then your 1 article per month gets buried under a ton of shit.

The internet is just like that.

You may have noticed some of my recent articles have also been shit, or lacking in inspiration.

That's what happens when you try to compete with the internet.

• Administrators

Guest posts by email or proxy, no, because there are plenty of other blogs that do this and sitting at my emails all day isn't my idea of filmmaking fun.... but moving out of Berlin and getting a real team of talent around me, shooting stuff and producing EOSHD content together for YouTube... YES to that.

One of the issues I've found in doing this though, is that nobody has the time or money, or the willingness to exit their day jobs to commit to doing so, because we're all slaves in an oligarchy.

It's funny as I was thinking this just the order day. Even as a producer of the medium itself, I have come to hate how video is used as a learning/tutorial/review tool.

I can buzz through a text tutorial and get right to the problem I am trying to solve. How do I know what sound the Phantom makes after the firmware has been updated? With a text article, I can Google/control-f right to my answer. 2 seconds and done, it's there or it's not. With video, I find nothing but 20 minute firmware update video that spend the first 5 minutes explaining how to unzip a freaking zip file and have to guess click around until I find what I want, if it is even there in the first place.

Or with a lens review, I might just want to see how bokeh renders in high contrast areas, not sit through a stupid 2 minute intro for your channel personality or a total of 3 minutes of footage cut in between 17 minutes of your ugly mug. With a longform text article, I can breeze by everything and get right to what I'm looking for. I can consume the content at the pace I desire.

That's why I've always gone to EOSHD at least, in the way reviews were well outlined and presented, and also how it seems to stay away from the Buzzfeed/clickbait style headlines that fill up almost every other site out there.

I think it would be great to turn a little bit more attention to lenses, new or old it doesn't matter, and rest a little from new cameras. In the past I always enjoyed topics about lenses, because there was much less arguing, and much more shared advices and gem discoveries.

Andrew, I still wait for your take on that Angenieux that you said you bought.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

See, blogging isn't as easy as just filming ducks and raving about image quality... if it was, I'd have an article ready by the end of every single day.

Damn, I was about to post some dodgy GX80 footage that featured some ducks and my kids and say how happy I was with the picture :) 

Seriously, I really appreciate your effort and this site and all that I've learned from you and others here.  I'm definitely a video hobbyist/hack but I really enjoy reading this site and it seems to help me keep my sanity ;)

As for Berlin, it could be worse - think of Calgary and what @Jordan Drake and Chris have to work with for each review :)

23 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

Damn, I was about to post some dodgy GX80 footage that featured some ducks and my kids and say how happy I was with the picture :) 

Seriously, I really appreciate your effort and this site and all that I've learned from you and others here.  I'm definitely a video hobbyist/hack but I really enjoy reading this site and it seems to help me keep my sanity ;)

As for Berlin, it could be worse - think of Calgary and what @Jordan Drake and Chris have to work with for each review :)

So Calgary is definitely not the best looking place in the world but Banff is just 1 1/2 hours away and that is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I think its pretty typical for people to not appreciative the beauty they see everyday. Personally one of my favorite things about traveling is when I come home I try to keep that tourist mindset for a few days and walk around with a camera as if I am a tourist and shoot everything.

Its also interesting to sometimes compare some of that footage to the stuff you shot on your vacation. Its always a nice surprise when it looks just as good if not better. :)

16 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

So Calgary is definitely not the best looking place in the world but Banff is just 1 1/2 hours away and that is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

:)

I'm Canadian (but living in UK) and my brother lives in Calgary (Olympic skeleton program) - I was just kidding.  Even got a couple of cameras from the Camera Store at 7% tax before the Canadian Dollar adjusted and companies adjusted their prices ;).  

One of the best trips I ever did was camping/hiking between Banff/Jasper in late June.  A lot of snow was still on the ground and I saw so many black and grizzly bear, even a mother with a few cubs playing near the road.  I'd been in the rockies before but never saw wildlife like that.

Hey Andrew. Couldn't agree more with what you said about the FB and instagram franzy. The rush to be the first over quality, the frequency of publication over depth of content, etc.

For what it's worth I really appreciate your work and honesty. It becomes very rare on internet these days with all the informercials BS so please keep trashing the products that must be trashed without any preference or loyalty to any brand. I found DigRev to be one of the most overrated and useless piece of "reviewers". They make long video for nothing, fail to be fun and eventually dedicate 2% of the time to talk about the gears. I'm still surprised they have so much viewers. Same goes for many other internet celebrities.
So keep your style and let the fanboys whine. We are not running for celebrity here and if I can help regarding drones and timelapse (my area of expertise), I'll be glad to do so.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Guest posts by email or proxy, no, because there are plenty of other blogs that do this and sitting at my emails all day isn't my idea of filmmaking fun.... but moving out of Berlin and getting a real team of talent around me, shooting stuff and producing EOSHD content together for YouTube... YES to that.

One of the issues I've found in doing this though, is that nobody has the time or money, or the willingness to exit their day jobs to commit to doing so, because we're all slaves in an oligarchy.

I'm with you for 99.9% of your (de)motivations - I wrote for 10 years for the biggest italian national guitar monthly paper magazine that slowly become just an online magazine (with a totally different way of writing: my reviews or interviews went from 6 magazine's pages to 500 characters) and I ran a blog about home recording for 3 years, now for your same reasons it is 2 years that I frozen it.

But I really can't understand one think: Berlin is one of the most interesting city in Europe, in every street you could shoot something great, why you want to move out? 

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hey Andrew!

I sent you a pm. Don´t wanna brag about it, but there is a place in Berlin where people do just that, using all their time the dayjob leaves them and do films and more.

What can I say, it´s a pretty nifty (did i get that word right, lemme check on dict.cc:) place. Think I got the word right:)

You and some awesome people here inspired me to apply for that school and it´s been as nice as it can be, besides the burden of a non filmic day job.

Here is a screenshot from a 24h hour film challenge me and a collegue student did on the semilegendary G6, no filmschooltech allowed, just

practicals, a photolamp bounced, boosted 28mm FD and way too high iso 1600:) Shoot, now I spoiled the camera for my planned guess the camera challenge:)

cheers Andrew and friends of this awesome place EOSHD!

Marty

0001.JPG

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, M Carter said:

And can I throw in one more rant-ism - what the f*cking F*CK is with all the "unboxing reviews". I really, really don't give a rat's what the corporate packaging department came up with. It's just more clickbait, by people who only now how to open a damn box.

Whhew. I feel much better now.

I sometimes like them and make them. It depends. If there is little information about accessories and/or build quality I think they are a good source.
There is a lot of things I don't watch, but I don't get angry about it, because I realize that youtube doesn't exist purely for my benefit ;)

9 hours ago, sudopera said:

I think it would be great to turn a little bit more attention to lenses, new or old it doesn't matter, and rest a little from new cameras. In the past I always enjoyed topics about lenses, because there was much less arguing, and much more shared advices and gem discoveries.

Andrew, I still wait for your take on that Angenieux that you said you bought.

I agree 100% so many awesome lenses ! the cameras are good enough that we can focus on the lens and its rendering only :)

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

practicals, a photolamp bounced, boosted 28mm FD and way too high iso 1600:) Shoot, now I spoiled the camera for my planned guess the camera challenge:)

i would have never guessed. Have you tried 24mm 2.8 FD ? my personal favorite,leave it on 2.8 come close about one meter and let the magic happen !