I am depressed by the lack of articles on this blog.

Michal Gajdoš

Hey Andrew, I agree with you that long form reviews are getting few and far between, but I think there's great value in shooting a 30 second - 90 second demo with a new camera. People are constantly searching for well shot videos with new camera releases. Purely my opinion, but I think you could create good buzz with this approach.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love this thread! I agree with everyone and It is nice to hear others who are thinking the same thing as me.

"celebrity net" is right.

Another thing I find kind of ironic and funny but completely understandable. Is how we all fight so hard to keep the internet open and wild but then are surprised when it turns into the wild west with disingenuous click bate sites poping up all over the place.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Hey Andrew, I agree with you that long form reviews are getting few and far between, but I think there's great value in shooting a 30 second - 90 second demo with a new camera. People are constantly searching for well shot videos with new camera releases. Purely my opinion, but I think you could create good buzz with this approach.

I'm just not interested in doing that... I think it's a pathetic attention seeking ploy :)

4 minutes ago, richg101 said:

inally, I think a few adverts wouldn;t do much hard to the site

I agree, but have the feeling Andrew wants to keep it advertisement free so that no one can connect it with biased opinion? what about advertisement for non related stuff ? or just an option to buy stuff via links to retailers as you suggest ? 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:
7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm just not interested in doing that... I think it's a pathetic attention seeking ploy :)

why ? I disagree. A nice and well made footage sometimes speaks more than a 500 page book, and the videos that you made with the articles were great, always had a bit of a soul.

If there aren't many blogs like yours, that seems like more reason to keep doing your thing. I've read your longest articles like 8 times each. To me that means you're one of the best sources out there now, if no one is doing it right. I've missed your blog posts, but not whining about it seemed more like a courtesy. Please don't take it as lack of support ;)

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Michal Gajdoš said:

why ? I disagree. A nice and well made footage sometimes speaks more than a 500 page book, and the videos that you made with the articles were great, always had a bit of a soul.

I think you might be getting the videos I made confused with the 30 second buzz unboxing video for YouTube there, which is what Aaron was referring to. As I said, people are pathetic :) They seek comfort and justification in material objects by watching other people buy the camera, open the box and say on YouTube "look isn't it great!" I am not in that market.

12 minutes ago, sanveer said:
19 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

you know those google adds are tailored to you via your browsing history ;) lol

hahahahahahahahaha

oh shit sherlock ;) i always wondered why they try to sell me how to bigger my junk only on my friend's phone :) btw is there a way limit the content of commercials on your site ? meaning i don't want any baby food commercial on my site no matter what your/visitor's search history is ? 

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think you might be getting the videos I made confused with the 30 second buzz unboxing video for YouTube there, which is what Aaron was referring to. As I said, people are pathetic :) They seek comfort and justification in material objects by watching other people buy the camera, open the box and say on YouTube "look isn't it great!" I am not in that market.

I wasn't talking about unboxing videos at all. I mean taking a new camera the day you get it, and filming a "short film" of footage edited to music (which you've done a lot in the past.) Whenever a new camera is out the most popular examples are people in their house with a cat or a flower. I just mean you could shoot something substantial with a new camera, share it, sell the camera, move to the next one.

EDIT: To add to this. You could make a raw file available for people to download and view/grade for themselves. I really don't see anywhere that does this online other than specific brand forums.

30 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

you know those google adds are tailored to you via your browsing history ;) lol

I am mildly offended. Andrew posted the article "After" I mentioned the Review bit (of the GX85). You could check the time for both. Or simpler still, just ask Andrew. 

The word is clairvoyance, not AdSense. hehehe 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I wasn't talking about unboxing videos at all. I mean taking a new camera the day you get it, and filming a "short film" of footage edited to music (which you've done a lot in the past.) Whenever a new camera is out the most popular examples are people in their house with a cat or a flower. I just mean you could shoot something substantial with a new camera, share it, sell the camera, move to the next one.

OK so great value in shooting 30-90 second demo with new camera, I get your point now... Well isn't that similar to what I've done many times on EOSHD blog posts over the last 5 years, actually 4 minute videos rather than 30 seconds, so far too long for modern audiences!! I did enjoy doing this but it depends on having something interesting and instantly accessible to film, otherwise it is going to be ducks and cats Every.Single.Time. Also what I loved to do was to create mood pieces for any music of my choosing, but the whole Vimeo copyright match bullshit put paid to that 'artform'. No more haunting Radiohead music videos of Buddhist temples thanks to that.

So now what you have to appreciate is that 1 - I live in probably one of the dullest cities in the world to shoot, my own fault I guess and 2 - the effort required to find actors and interesting subjects in Berlin at short notice for free to make a 30-90 second demo reel shot with a hot new cameras and published in a matter of days whilst still newsworthy just after the camera comes into EOSHD HQ.... well that effort is tricky to maintain for one person, not to mention overkill given that this time and effort would be better spent actually making a proper film?

So I either maintain a passion somehow for continuing to walk into a shop, buying a GH5 or whatever, then using it in my work, shooting music videos for the bands here in Berlin and my own artistic projects, or shooting whatever is available on the day in order to get the YouTube video out before the competition does.... but if you are late in releasing the content even by a matter of a day or 2, nobody really notices it or shares it, due to it being buried under a thousand other videos about the same thing but made more quickly with less effort, which have now taken pride of place on the entire internet thanks to Facebook and Instagram.

It's a race to be first to the bottom my friends.

In fact, I don't know why anyone bothers to create anything these days, the internet just makes it a waste of time. Whatever you do, someone else will do it first :)

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Time. Also what I loved to do was to create mood pieces for any music of my choosing, but the whole Vimeo copyright match bullshit put paid to that 'artform'. No more haunting Radiohead music videos of Buddhist temples thanks to that.

Why not upload the pieces to youtube instead? Sure you wont make money of the actual video but it will still be up.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So now what you have to appreciate is that 1 - I live in probably one of the dullest cities in the world to shoot, my own fault I guess and 2 - the effort required to find actors and interesting subjects in Berlin at short notice for free to make a 30-90 second demo reel shot with a hot new cameras and published in a matter of days whilst still newsworthy just after the camera comes into EOSHD HQ.... well that effort is tricky to maintain for one person, not to mention overkill given that this time and effort would be better spent actually making a proper film?

I think that is the key. Getting it out ASAP and being the first well shot example. It seems to snowball from there. Regarding subject matter: even just shooting Berlin's cityscape with people on the streets (like you've done) is great. Maybe find a local acting/model studio that would want to partner and have their 1 or 2 of their students at a time participate in a quick video that they can use themselves as a portfolio piece.

blogging is hard as fck. Factor in having to write, proofread, review the product, fact check the review then upload. I tried to blog full time AND take on jobs and it was just toooo much. Consumers/readers are monsters dude. Flesh eating monsters lol they digest content in seconds now. The long form factor blog is dying ONLY because people have become accustomed with short & sweet cuz of social media