Canon 1DX mark II quick test with Technicolor Cinestyle

karoliina

I did a very quick test with the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style. Please note that these are very rough quick grades and I am not a colorist and they are far from being good ones, but I shot this just to demonstrate that how the 1DX2 looks with the Cinestyle picture style. 

Resolve dropped the resolution from 4096x2160 to 3840x2160 because I did not have free USB for the Resolve dongle and I used the free version. 

The BMD Film LUT makes the Cinestyle footage way too oversaturated. I reduced the saturation quite a bit, but too much was still left. But it is there for demonstration only, kind of demonstrates that the BMD film is still flatter (in saturation at least) than the Technicolor Cinestyle.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, karoliina said:

One still frame from unedited video shot in Cinestyle: 
Flat cat and two grade attempts.

B19I5218-1.jpg

Cinestyle ungraded and graded, 1DX mark II frame capture.

B19I5267-1.jpg

Ahhh....yes. Buying a $6,000 camera to take cat videos. 

What do you expect for a quick'n'dirty camera test? Oscar nominee film or perhaps a cat video? I can go to shoot cat video at any time just for your camera image quality assesment purpose and cat entertainment pleasure, but this camera will be completely obsolete at the time I would win oscar or even complete the documentary film we are working on as shooting the trailer already took a year, and on the other hand our cats are not ordinary domestic cats, they are Savannah-cats. We have a Savannah-cattery. Northernwilds Avi in the picture is our queen. 6000 dollar camera for 6000 dollar cat is not worth it?

11 hours ago, forofilms said:

Ahhh....yes. Buying a $6,000 camera to take cat videos. 

That's very negative thinking. People complain for all kinds of weird reasons. If you do a great looking cinema quality promo, someone will complain that "That cost too much to make, we can't do that!" (actually happened in the comments here for 1dx) and if you just post a cat video someone else will complain that "It's just a cat!". I consider people who complain like that to just be too dumb to appreciate what they can get out of anything by themselves.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The cat can be as valuable as 1 hundred 1Dxs put to together to someone, it's a living being, a family, could be considered priceless. If that's something not film and document with cameras I don't know what is. We're not all buying camera to shoot narrative filmmaking. 

4 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

The cat can be as valuable as 1 hundred 1Dxs put to together to someone, it's a living being, a family, could be considered priceless. If that's something not film and document with cameras I don't know what is. We're not all buying camera to shoot narrative filmmaking. 

You guys are hilarious. I was just teasing about the cat video. It's as good a test subject as anything else (except it lacks a good skin tone example:))

Nevertheless, a $15,000 cat is outrageous given that more than half of the humans in this world have no electricity and live on less than $1 per day.

I guess for you guys with $6,000 4k cameras and $15,000 cats, you may not be aware of this reality, but I encourage you to research the matter. 

On May 18, 2016 at 4:35 PM, karoliina said:

I did a very quick test with the Technicolor Cinestyle picture style. Please note that these are very rough quick grades and I am not a colorist and they are far from being good ones, but I shot this just to demonstrate that how the 1DX2 looks with the Cinestyle picture style. 

Resolve dropped the resolution from 4096x2160 to 3840x2160 because I did not have free USB for the Resolve dongle and I used the free version. 

The BMD Film LUT makes the Cinestyle footage way too oversaturated. I reduced the saturation quite a bit, but too much was still left. But it is there for demonstration only, kind of demonstrates that the BMD film is still flatter (in saturation at least) than the Technicolor Cinestyle.

Image looks think, definitely not a fan.....

Definitely need some kind of "Film Emulsion" to make it look imo "nicer" "Filmic". Personally I think the Blackmagic Ursa and Ursa Mini 4k for the price are delivering the nicest image, followed closely by Sony A7S II (in the right hands)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am seeing lots of room to get very stylized looks, both in resolution, color, robustness. pseudo-anamorphic Instagramish pallete: looks great

Image2.jpg
Image5.jpg

Lots of room to play with these Cinestyle images. Grading and results feel much more 10/12bit ProRes/Raw than 8bit/h.264. 

The cheer resolving power is actually very high even in 4K terms. Mastering in 2K you can get high quality HD content to Web/YT/TV up to: 

Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg
Image11.jpg

1 hour ago, Jaime Valles said:

Quick question... Does the DPAF on the 1DX Mk II work with lenses from other manufacturers (Sigma, Tokina, etc.) or is it just for Canon lenses?

Yes