FILMCONVERT Poll results : possible NX1,A6300 & URSA MINI support

kidzrevil

7 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I guess, I just don't like the look then.

You don't have to use the BMPCC profile... A lot of BMPCC users like the Alexa profile... Or try the Cinestyle. Have you tried different film stocks as well, or adjusted the level of the stock, or the curve of the stock?

I only ask because I am really bad at color grading and I have found FilmConvert to be the fastest, simplest way to achieve a nice, color corrected/graded look. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

You don't have to use the BMPCC profile... A lot of BMPCC users like the Alexa profile... Or try the Cinestyle. Have you tried different film stocks as well, or adjusted the level of the stock, or the curve of the stock?

I only ask because I am really bad at color grading and I have found FilmConvert to be the fastest, simplest way to achieve a nice, color corrected/graded look. 

For quick jobs I usually CC in davinci then use film convert with the default profile to make a quick grade inside of premiere. Again, I've never used the BMPCC profile. I also meet with like weird rainbow effects when using FC so at this point I mainly stick with DaVinci. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NX1user said:

They released the A6300 profile today. Could the NX1 be next?

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/06/02/film-convert-release-sony-a6300-camera-profile/

Hopefully ! I am using the new profile for the RX10ii and it completely saved my ass from terrible sony color ! I can only imagine the results we can get with gamma dr mode on nx1 

On 5/17/2016 at 8:56 AM, NX1user said:

How much work goes into them creating a camera profile? Any idea?

I'm gonna guess a lot. I would think it'd be similar to calibrating a new camera. There are a couple of methods, but the simplest would be first recording grayscale charts to linearize the film stock. Then using something like the ColorChecker SG or similar they can create a 3x3 matrix which can get them most of the way to through color conversion from white balanced digital source to film stock. Then convert to something like LCh space to adjust each channel individually using multiple reference charts. Then convert back to linear RGB space and apply the film transfer function. There's also the route of measuring the spectral sensitivities of both to get a more accurate reading than the color charts, but those tools can cost in the 10K USD range.

I don't know if that's what they actually do, but it would technically work.

18 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@NX1user you simply select the picture profile that u shot with in the software...

So if I'm shooting Gamma DR, but I've changed the sharpness -10 and green to 0.95, Film Convert can figure that out? Or do I just shoot with Gamma DR as it came from Samsung?

The 0.95 green thingwill throw the calibration off. I'd advise against that color shift thing. Idk where ya'll got the idea to do that but in my experience it affects the color accuracy cause all its doing is removing green from the color channel and throwing everything else off. You better off shooting with -2 or -3 saturation to prevent channels from clipping and it will also ensure compatibility with filmconvert when its released @NX1user

On 6/4/2016 at 3:38 PM, kidzrevil said:

The 0.95 green thingwill throw the calibration off. I'd advise against that color shift thing. Idk where ya'll got the idea to do that but in my experience it affects the color accuracy cause all its doing is removing green from the color channel and throwing everything else off. You better off shooting with -2 or -3 saturation to prevent channels from clipping and it will also ensure compatibility with filmconvert when its released @NX1user

@Andrew Reid recommends the 0.95 green in his NX1 guide. Although, in this article he states "Alas the NX1 has a screen of RGB sliders for each picture profile and a hue adjustment. Does dialling down green or shifting the hue away from green and towards magenta solve the problem? No, it just desaturates the greens!" The problem he's talking about is how much green the NX1 renders (at least compared to the 1DC). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 8:53 AM, Andrew Reid said:

What's in the 'other'? Seems a big piece of the pie to be all mysterious about :)

I'm guessing each camera in that "other" category got 5% or less.

All in all, I am very impressed the NX1 came second to the UM4.6K!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Nope but I have a feeling they aint prioritizing it at all. Hopefully it comes out soon cuz they just came out with one for the ursa

Do you think there is a huge difference in the results you get by having a dedicated camera profile versus using the generic profile?