Canon 1DX mark II video testing - 4K frame grabs

karoliina

Hello

I recently switched from my Blackmagic Cinema Camera to Canon 1DX mark II. 

I have collected couple of framegrabs to Flickr gallery (full size jpegs available) from 4K video footage I shot yesterday. 

These are ungraded and shot with Fine Detail picture style with contrast at minimum.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwCzqqD

I hope this helps for those who are curious on how the 1DX II looks.

I plan to retest later with Technicolor Cinestyle that I installed after taking these video clips.

I shot the clips by using Transcend 1000x 128 GB CF-card, still don't have CFast, but it seems the Transcend is speedy enough 25p continuous and even can record few seconds of 4K 60p before the recording stops. 

Best Regards,

Karoliina Salminen

Graded frame (check the ungraded ones from Flickr): 

B19I4565_00000_00160314.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks pretty good, I like this camera.  Since I do mostly photography, I dropped the blues a bit and knocked the saturation down a little bit.  Not treading on toes here I just adjust to what I would if I were going to sell on a stock site.  What was to the right of the dog to reflect the blues?

B19I4565_00000_00160314_thumb_jpg_10fbf3c029227bf5d539c41b3121de6d.jpg

You are correct, I did the "quick grade" in lightroom very quickly and did not even pay attention to the blue reflection. 

Your version certainly is better. Check the originals from the link, I have not graded (=screwed) them yet in the Flickr-gallery. 
I am in love with this camera now. It is like dream coming true because each video frame turns out to be as high quality as a jpeg from the camera. Finally a camera that shoots video that looks like moving still photographs. When I was waiting for 5D3 at the time of its release, this is very much what I was expecting 5D3 to be that it wasn't and that made me to switch to Blackmagic originally. The 1DX2 finally is, and made me switch back to Canon (after I had been blaming them for years for being uninnovative, I go and buy a new camera from them, duh).

In fact it seems the blue was created mostly by adjusting "vibrance" in the Lightroom. I should leave that dial alone it seems. Vibrance is not to be touched...

6 hours ago, karoliina said:

You are correct, I did the "quick grade" in lightroom very quickly and did not even pay attention to the blue reflection. 

Your version certainly is better. Check the originals from the link, I have not graded (=screwed) them yet in the Flickr-gallery. 
I am in love with this camera now. It is like dream coming true because each video frame turns out to be as high quality as a jpeg from the camera. Finally a camera that shoots video that looks like moving still photographs. When I was waiting for 5D3 at the time of its release, this is very much what I was expecting 5D3 to be that it wasn't and that made me to switch to Blackmagic originally. The 1DX2 finally is, and made me switch back to Canon (after I had been blaming them for years for being uninnovative, I go and buy a new camera from them, duh).

In fact it seems the blue was created mostly by adjusting "vibrance" in the Lightroom. I should leave that dial alone it seems. Vibrance is not to be touched...

Vibrance is the same in Affinity - ruins everything.

No idea what it is supposed to do, come to think of it.

I've been waiting for the 5d4  myself.  Canon ergonomics pretty much trumps any camera I've used, in my opinion.  If the 5d4 is stripped down, i.e. mush for video, I'll be getting a 1dx2 as soon as the specs are announced, the footage I've seen is great.  For video right now I've been using a Panasonic G-7, nifty little camera but it's little.  And, what I shoot, a lot of times the record button on the G-7 is over my head, so I have to fiddle around to find it.  Which is why I'm waiting for the Canon 5d4.  Outdoors blues can cover whites if the vibrance is bumped up, and in food photography if you're doing natural light, it can ruin white plates.  Your dog looks happy!  Congrats on the 1dx2, I'll probably be getting one later in the year if Canon pulls a fast one on the 5d4.

Could anybody who has 1dxII share couple seconds original file straight from the card (dropbox or something) -
 some high DOF with details like out-of-the-window view:

-1080p h264 24 or 25 fps

- the same view 1080p 120fps

-the same view 4k dci 25fps

The camera is couple of days here and we still lack original files for download, only YT/vimeo compressed samples.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
7 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

952-8.jpg

Does reducing the first parameter to 0 still apply different sharpening vs the other profiles? The OP here shot it at 0. Fine detail PS has lower contrast than Neutral/faithful doesn't it? (a tiny bit) I was told that by canon anyway, 

8 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Does reducing the first parameter to 0 still apply different sharpening vs the other profiles? The OP here shot it at 0. Fine detail PS has lower contrast than Neutral/faithful doesn't it? (a tiny bit) I was told that by canon anyway, 

according to the research I did on 1D C, only C-Log completely removes in-camera sharpening, other picture profiles even with sharpness at 0, still applies subtle sharpening, neutral has the least, landscape has the most.

7 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

according to the research I did on 1D C, only C-Log completely removes in-camera sharpening, other picture profiles even with sharpness at 0, still applies subtle sharpening, neutral has the least, landscape has the most.

The 1DC is not the 1DX Mkii? So I'm not certain this applies.  However,  I'm going to do more testing soon. How can you tell if sharping is indeed still being applied? 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, User said:

Can anyone comment on what has better low light capabilities, the 1DX MkII or the C100 MkII? I never take the later over ISO6400.

If the 1D C is anything to go by (it is, the 1D X Mark II has no advantage in low light over it), then the C100 Mk II isn't quite as good in low light, the larger sensor 1D X Mk II will be a bit cleaner at ISO 6400

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

If the 1D C is anything to go by (it is, the 1D X Mark II has no advantage in low light over it), then the C100 Mk II isn't quite as good in low light, the larger sensor 1D X Mk II will be a bit cleaner at ISO 6400

But the 1DC "IS" nothing to go by. They are different cameras with different senors.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Exactly. And that the 1DX Mkii files are so much more robust for grading, serves even better.

I can't help but wish this had been my camera these last year's... everything is a compromise ;)

• 1 month later...
On 16 May 2016 at 0:37 PM, karoliina said:

I plan to retest later with Technicolor Cinestyle that I installed after taking these video clips.

How did you manage to install CineStyle? I tried to do it via EOS Utility and the User Defined Style option was greyed out. 

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work! 

• 4 weeks later...