BlackMagic Micro Cinema Update?

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer the Micro, but plenty of others don't. The micro is a little more of the typical digital cinema camera "brain" that requires a rig, a monitor at a minimum. The Pocket is closer to a stripped down point and shoot experience. Both deliver terrific images.

31 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

Was on cheesycam and he made a diy handle that controlled the iso shutter and ap. I have a GH4 and a GH3. Was looking to sale one and keep the other for taking pics. But was looking to to get 2 Pocket and Mico cams. Was set to shoot a comedy special in September and was thinking would that be a good option.

Oh and what do you recommend on getting first the micro or the pocket?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

Does it come with a Resolve 12 dongle? The specs on the site says it does, but it isn't mentioned on B&H's site. 

No, both the Micros and the Pocket come with a copy of Resolve "Lite". No dongle for the Studio version. But I bought one for $350 from someone on BMCuser.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

No, both the Micros and the Pocket come with a copy of Resolve "Lite". No dongle for the Studio version. But I bought one for $350 from someone on BMCuser.

Okay, gotcha. That seemed like too sweet of a deal for it to come with the full version. You got a nice price for it though... Good on you!

So, I had my first full day with the micro and... Wow it really is a fun camera. It is a little cumbersome using a small rig and the buttons are hard to push but the image is just amazing. It seems like you can underexpose, overexpose or nail the exposure and you have a lot to work with in post. And the colors... Nice. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Obviously not the most amazing images in the world, but for a first time out with it... I am pleased. 

8 hours ago, Nikkor said:

Finally :)

Congratulations, mercer.

Looking forward to see a good Micro short from you.

The german site slashCAM tested the Micro and said it might very well have a bigger DR than 13 stops, because 13 stops were initially announced for global shutter mode. They came to the conclusion that due to a better read-noise-ratio the DR could even be better than that of the Ursa Mini 4,6k (which they had tested as well and which allegedly has 15 stops). The main disadvantages of the camera were the sub-HD resolution and the awkward position of the buttons. 

I couldn't decide between the Micro and the UM and probably will soldier on with A7rii and FS7 :confused:

Last week I was in Berlin at Tom Antos' workshop, we used the Ursa Mini 4K.

Beautiful camera, great images, but I thought it was ready to shoot with, whereas there are a lot of things to rig before shooting.
So I'm more then happy to have the Micro Cinema, that for sure it is not comfortable like a GH4 or a A7s, but at the end it is small enough to work with :)

I still have to become familiar with its menu and buttons, but I love the images Micro returns.

2 hours ago, Axel said:

Congratulations, mercer.

The german site slashCAM tested the Micro and said it might very well have a bigger DR than 13 stops, because 13 stops were initially announced for global shutter mode. They came to the conclusion that due to a better read-noise-ratio the DR could even be better than that of the Ursa Mini 4,6k (which they had tested as well and which allegedly has 15 stops).

slashCAM are dreaming. The Micro has less usable DR than the 5D MK3 raw which is rated at 11.7 stops by DXOmark. It's also clear that the Micro is slightly noisier than the Pocket.

6 minutes ago, squig said:

slashCAM are dreaming. The Micro has less usable DR than the 5D MK3 raw which is rated at 11.7 stops by DXOmark. It's also clear that the Micro is slightly noisier than the Pocket.

not in my case. i own the pocket and micro. pocket is definitely a touch noisier, side by side.

Just now, Zak Forsman said:

not in my case. i own the pocket and micro. pocket is definitely a touch noisier, side by side.

I was sure you said it was the other way around. Do you mean the replacement Micro you got?

4 hours ago, Axel said:

Congratulations, mercer.

The german site slashCAM tested the Micro and said it might very well have a bigger DR than 13 stops, because 13 stops were initially announced for global shutter mode. They came to the conclusion that due to a better read-noise-ratio the DR could even be better than that of the Ursa Mini 4,6k (which they had tested as well and which allegedly has 15 stops). The main disadvantages of the camera were the sub-HD resolution and the awkward position of the buttons. 

I couldn't decide between the Micro and the UM and probably will soldier on with A7rii and FS7 :confused:

Thanks, Axel. Good to hear about the DR. I have the G7 and that has been measured at about 10 stops and I can easily tell there is, at least, 3 stops more.

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

both micros I've had exhibit slightly less noise than the pocket. i'm speculating but it's probably that additional noise that likely hides any FPN on the pocket, and now revealed on the micro in the shadows.

The noise is so very organic. It almost seems pointless to add grain in FilmConvert.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

The noise is so very organic. It almost seems pointless to add grain in FilmConvert.

I really dig the noise of the Micro, and every day I like this cam a bit more. I was decided on the 4.6K Mini, and was just holding back because of the magenta issues... but I must say I'm in no hurry right now. And if I don't see something that trueIy blows me away from the Mini soon, I think I'm getting a 2nd Micro/speedbooster instead.

@John Emery I just spent the morning messing with the files in FCPX/Color Finale and FilmConvert... And the latitude is simply astonishing. I can now see what all the hype is about 10bit color and high DR.

I was planning on keeping my G7 for more run and gun applications, but the IQ with the micro is so next level... I may just sell the G7. And I think once I rig this a little more efficiently, the micro could be a fine run and gun camera, in it's own right.