Blackmagic Cinema Camera firmware update v1.2 released

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, out of all things I feel this desperately need an in-camera file management. This should be their next top priority, nothing is worse then being out in the field and not knowing how much is left on an SSD or not being able the format the card/ delete outtakes. Its fun to think as using this issue as using film, but thats really just a place holder. Other then that, i still really like what this camera's doing.

With the SpeedBooster imminent, if BMCC were to enable full sensor 4:3 recording, I'd be almost forced to buy this camera as soon as I had the money. 4:3 35mm-equivalent (boosted) 2X anamorphic footage at 2.5K RAW? I can't imagine needing much more than that, ever (especially with ProRes as a non-raw option).

Edit: they need to get these cameras out and in people's hands ASAP. @EOSHD any idea how they're doing on that front? Are they still massively pre-ordered/back-ordered?

This should be their next top priority, nothing is worse then being out in the field and not knowing how much is left on an SSD or not being able the format the card/ delete outtakes. 

There is a kind of workaround.

Firstly, the camera REC flashes when there's less than 5 mins of record time left.

You can also calculate how much remaining record time there is on a given SSD if you know the record time for a full disk.  For example, I know a 240GB SSD gives me close to 30 mins @ 25 FPS.

When you play back the last clip recorded, the TC field at the bottom displays the total record time.  This way, let's say it's 00:22:03:00 i know i have about 7 mins of record time left.

They won't do in camera file management.  They might do an in-camera format....maybe...

Alexa's don't allow you to delete individual clips, nor do RED....

jb

There is a kind of workaround.

Firstly, the camera REC flashes when there's less than 5 mins of record time left.

You can also calculate how much remaining record time there is on a given SSD if you know the record time for a full disk.  For example, I know a 240GB SSD gives me close to 30 mins @ 25 FPS.

When you play back the last clip recorded, the TC field at the bottom displays the total record time.  This way, let's say it's 00:22:03:00 i know i have about 7 mins of record time left.

They won't do in camera file management.  They might do an in-camera format....maybe...

Alexa's don't allow you to delete individual clips, nor do RED....

jb

Interesting idea, will keep that in mind. Thanks John, is it really not possible? Well that's another thing I'll have to consider. For $3K alot of people are going to be complaining about this, I can work around it though. I really hope its possible in the future though, for guys like me time is very important and budget is slim, getting the best bang for buck in very important and this camera does that. These blemishes are minor but do stand out, knowing I have great shots in the can but a few bad one taking up space since CinemaDNG can eat up quite alot of space, with backup sdd's full it can be very daunting. I guess a mandatory "off load" laptop near by will be the only solution.

Still for $3K, I will find a way ;)

PS: Congrats of Puberty Blues winning AACTA award for Best Television Drama.

Interesting idea, will keep that in mind. Thanks John, is it really not possible? Well that's another thing I'll have to consider. 

Yeah I think we'd all like for it to be able to do it...maybe they'll get around to it.  You should ask for it on their forums.  they're pretty good at listening to what people are asking for...

jb

• Administrators

Well, at least it encourages one to be extremely economical with takes - almost as if editing in camera like John Ford. That way when you get the stuff back to the editing room no producer or executive can mess with your shoot quite as much ;) Less control sometimes equals more control!

It is the anamorphic mode I'd still love to see, as that has a material effect on image quality. I'd love those almost-2000 lines of resolution, it would be competitive with 4096x2160 on the 1D C if you cropped that but used an anamorphic on the BMCC. I certainly would rather shoot that way than hanker after 4K in any future model.