RED Scarlet-X or RED ONE MX (full kit) with lens

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Laurier said:

I think the slow mo on the old red are crop of the sensor , and the mx is a fairly soft sensor , that nice at 4k but at 2k it might be too soft for your taste . And not very future proof .

To be fair, all Red cams are soft (even the 8K weapons). But they are purposefully done that way?

There is no incamera sharpening and no incamera noise reduction.

Redcode is RAW. At which point everything is done in post. I think what people get really excited about when dealing with RAW is the white balance sliders and ISO adjustment... Etc.

I found the 2K on MX is about as good as 5DII, in terms of resolution.... No amount of post can sharpen it to a reasonable level. The lack of detail, coupled with the poor ISO put me off ever buying one...

I have not used Dragon yet... But I would look closely at an FS700/O7Q combo before buying an MX based camera... Better low light, better HFR (4K/120fps, non windowed), better on-board sound, NDs, ProRes and  much lighter, even with the Odyssey.

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I found the 2K on MX is about as good as 5DII, in terms of resolution.... No amount of post can sharpen it to a reasonable level. The lack of detail, coupled with the poor ISO put me off ever buying one...

I have not used Dragon yet... But I would look closely at an FS700/O7Q combo before buying an MX based camera... Better low light, better HFR (4K/120fps, non windowed), better on-board sound, NDs, ProRes and  much lighter, even with the Odyssey.

I'd agree with this - there's a reason very few people use S16 lenses on their MX in 2k to shoot, despite it being very possible. The resolution is just not there. 

REDs are optimised to work at their max resolution. Even an Epic will perform significantly better at 5k than it will at 2 or 3k. 

20 hours ago, Laurier said:

With the red mx sensor you have a nice look/colors out of the camera , redcode is fantastic in term of data management honestly .

The red one can have a m42/nikon mount for cheap and you can get cheap glass. 

Consumer product are consumer product , today you have a lot for the money, but you still usually have poor codec / dynamic range / colors compared to even older equipement .

For still, is use a mamiya ZD , it s a 22 megapixel medium format camera , it s native iso 50, it s slower than any new dslr and it s 10 years old .

But it was more than 15k when released and and paid 2k for it couple of month ago, but in term of highlight handling / image quality / look it s just way better than any sub 3/4k usd camera on the market today.

But that thing is made to be use in pro environment , with flash/lighting equipment ect.

If you want something easy to use / fast and your clients are low budget , go with the consumer grade stuff , then upgrade regularly.

If you want to get higher clients invest in entry pro stuff, or second hand high end .

If you plan to shoot fashion / music video I would avoid the red mx and the scarlet because of the lack of 4k slow mo.

Personally I pre ordered a kinefinity terra 5k , with the speedbooster you get T2 zoom and the vistavision look on a native iso 800 camera . raw/pro res and 4k 100 fps .

Tera 5K with soeedbooster i know what speedbooster does but what is the purpose on terra and did you purchase basic kit? and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking

Hi guys thanks for all the info and posts. Did some hard thinking and decide not to go with MX because of weight and age. But decided to jump in to terra 5k just the options alone and anamorphic 4:3 slow mo in 4k at 100 and 200 at 2k is dam tempting plus i hear they have dam good support and regular update. I will just wait till Jan next year not in a hurry and see all the tests and reviews when it comes out. Plus red camera price should go down a bit when terra comes out.

4 hours ago, enny said:

Tera 5K with soeedbooster i know what speedbooster does but what is the purpose on terra and did you purchase basic kit? and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking

Hi guys thanks for all the info and posts. Did some hard thinking and decide not to go with MX because of weight and age. But decided to jump in to terra 5k just the options alone and anamorphic 4:3 slow mo in 4k at 100 and 200 at 2k is dam tempting plus i hear they have dam good support and regular update. I will just wait till Jan next year not in a hurry and see all the tests and reviews when it comes out. Plus red camera price should go down a bit when terra comes out.

You get 1 stop of transmission extra , you also get wider field of view , on the terra you get almost full frame on a super 35 sensor.

I get the TERRA Basic Pack with the focal reducer canon mount  and it going to cost me between 5500/6000 usd , because I did the pre order /  pay in Chinese currency and have it delivered in china it s a bit cheaper .  Otherwise the same package is close to 7000 usd I think.

6 minutes ago, Laurier said:

You get 1 stop of transmission extra , you also get wider field of view , on the terra you get almost full frame on a super 35 sensor.

I get the TERRA Basic Pack with the focal reducer canon mount  and it going to cost me between 5500/6000 usd , because I did the pre order /  pay in Chinese currency and have it delivered in china it s a bit cheaper .  Otherwise the same package is close to 7000 usd I think.

So super 35 sensor is not really full frame? are there any other cameras out there that are full frame like red arr ect. And can you explain Dual Shutter: Rolling + Global vs Rolling and why did you pick one over other. I mean the benefits.

Thanks for help

7 hours ago, enny said:

So super 35 sensor is not really full frame? are there any other cameras out there that are full frame like red arr ect. And can you explain Dual Shutter: Rolling + Global vs Rolling and why did you pick one over other. I mean the benefits.

Thanks for help

Yeah... Super 35 is like APS-C, only wider. Thus, not full frame. I think crop is 1.5 (bah, Google crop factor).

But I can understand how it be easily misunderstood for normal 35mm (full frame).

Global shutter removes jello effect when panning. I'm sure it has other disadvantages that I'm unaware of...  Possibly has something to do with reduced light transmission or reduced sharpness (I'm only guessing here) 

BTW, I don't mind rolling shutter (in fact, I prefer it) because I don't pan as fast, and I cannot figure out those angles.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I mean actually available.

I think it's special order... Really really special... Like its custom...

I think they have 70mm too, but again it's custom...

Remember they have 8K weapons... But you don't see it on sale at Red.com

Editted to add:

https://***URL not allowed***/full-frame-and-beyond-large-sensor-digital-cinema/

See the 617 Sensor - I've seen that concept since 2013.

Never saw it in the wild though.

Is the RED DRAGON sensor the same for SCARLET DRAGON and EPIC RED DRAGON?

Yes.

What lenses can I use with the RED DRAGON sensor?

You can use any lens designed for Full Frame 35mm formats

btw...

WEAPON 6K (Carbon Fiber)

SENSOR

SENSOR TYPE RED DRAGON 19.4 Megapixel CMOS

MAX FRAME RATES (EPIC)

175 fps at 6K Full Frame (6144 x 3160), 100 fps at 6K 2.4:1 (6144 x 2592)
96 fps at 5K Full Frame (5120 x 2700), 120 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120 x 2160)
120 fps at 4K Full Frame (4096 x 2160), 150 fps at 4K 2.4:1 (4096 x 1728)
150 fps at 3K Full Frame (3072 x 1620), 200 fps at 3K 2.4:1 (3072 x 1296)
240 fps at 2K Full Frame (2048 x 1080), 300 fps at 2K 2.4:1 (2048 x 864)

Sure, it shoots at 1.17x crop compared to 35mm (not like the full frame DSLRs don't like to crop in on video). Still called a full frame camera.

They can call it what they want.... It is simply not a full frame camera (36mm x 24mm)

When they say Full Frame on that spec sheet, they just mean "non windowed"... eg, it uses the full frame of the sensor... They have been (mis) using that term since day one.

I guess Raven is full frame too?

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 18.47.56.png