A7RII-cine 2- Sgamut. Stupid or not?

bristo

Hi,

still trying to get an image easier to expose than Slog2 but that I can grade a little bit. Trying to obtain a kind of washed image, I am trying on the a7rII: cine 2 with sgamut.

Is that ok or I am doing something stupid...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why don't you use s-log2 with another color gamut like cinema or pro? 

S-gamuts are meant for heavy grading, whereas slog2 will give you some play with the contrast of the colors and the extended dynamic range. 

If you only want to do minor grading as you say, then cine4/cine2 + cinema/pro gamuts will give you the best color & tonalities. 

In fact I want to be able to grade a bit with some curves and ovoiding the grain that I get when I choose slog2 and do not have a proper overexposed shot. I think I did not understand yet the difference in a7rII between gamma and color mode and which one is responsible for the increase of grain when you do not expose properly.

2 hours ago, bristo said:

In fact I want to be able to grade a bit with some curves and ovoiding the grain that I get when I choose slog2 and do not have a proper overexposed shot. I think I did not understand yet the difference in a7rII between gamma and color mode and which one is responsible for the increase of grain when you do not expose properly.

That is slog2/3. Color gamuts affect just the color response. 

Try the cine modes with the cinema/pro color mode if you want to avoid noise but still have a gradable image. 

sgamut was neverrrrr meant for an 8bit color space. I don't even know why sony gave us hope with implementing it into an 8bit camera LOL. I always got the best results from cine2,cine4 and autumn leaves picture style. Use something optimized for the 8bit color space bro. stay away from sgamut and slog