Canon 1DX Mkii vs Sony A7Rii

DBounce

30 minutes ago, independent said:

If that marginal difference in image quality were more important than features, than why not go ursa mini 4.6k raw, which has even better image, color, and codec. 

Well it's not a hybrid and that magenta issue doesn't look good. I think it's not even officially acknowledged yet.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This a great discussion for me. I've been buried all winter and early spring and I'm just dealing with the reality of a second "A" camera that we need with growth. I didn't give it a lot of thought because I figured it would end up being the Ursa 4.6 given our experience with BM cameras and pretty much only shooting w/ them now. But being ever busier has meant dealing with the reality of time in post that has really grown w/ ur use of BM cameras - to the point where it's putting a strain on my small shop...and I've got a very streamlined system, CCing, LUTs in raw and Prores.

I own a creative shop and our work runs from TV, web pre-roll and films for web and exhibition. Before BM we were all Canon and the two things that come up in this discussion - color science and build - really resonate. I absolutely love the aesthetic and codecs of our BM cameras...but that's about it. The simple point is, there is no other similar aesthetic to Canon's FF cameras, and I really do miss it.

So now, with DPAF, touch screen 60p 4k and added to the mix, I'm suddenly thinking the 1DX II is my addition. So much of what we do in film is R&G and a lot of that is in physically challenging environments from Olympic venues to mountain top wind farms. I really like the small form factor for so much of this stuff and after rigging out a 4.6 w/ battery, VF etc. it's not just an $8k camera but it's not that simple monopod system for constant action and moving scenes either.

Anyway, that's my current thinking. I love the BMs we have, but not the additional workflow and less than refined interfaces. Canon is solid as...well Canon. The look is there, more than enough for broadcast, coming out of the camera. Simple battery system, workflow etc. All of this of course balanced against incredibly robust codecs and DR of the BM cameras. IMHO though, one isn't better than the other - even 8 bit vs raw....certainly no the kind of image that comes out of the 1DC and 1DX, not for TV and computer screens. Again, thanks for the discussion - it's really helped with my thinking. 

57 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Well it's not a hybrid and that magenta issue doesn't look good. I think it's not even officially acknowledged yet.

Sure, but if we're not talking features but absolute image quality at the price range, then ursa 4.6k is better than the 1dc. 

Re: magenta issue - as far as I know its not a consistent issue, but blackmagic seems to have a good policy of firmware updates and/or fixing under warranty. 

But the 4.6k image, dynamic range, filmic, raw with prores? Nothing else competes at that price. 

I'm just surprised at how the AF of the 1dxii isn't considered more of a factor in terms of image quality. If your shot isn't in focus, it's a poor image, regardless of any 1dc mojo. 

So much of filmmaking is just getting the shot. 

9 minutes ago, independent said:

Sure, but if we're not talking features but absolute image quality at the price range, then ursa 4.6k is better than the 1dc. 

Re: magenta issue - as far as I know its not a consistent issue, but blackmagic seems to have a good policy of firmware updates and/or fixing under warranty. 

But the 4.6k image, dynamic range, filmic, raw with prores? Nothing else competes at that price. 

I'm just surprised at how the AF of the 1dxii isn't considered more of a factor in terms of image quality. If your shot isn't in focus, it's a poor image, regardless of any 1dc mojo. 

Believe me, I certainly appreciate how big of a factor the AF is on the 1DX MKii, I plan to fly ours on the Letus Helix, and knowing it can lock focus like it does is a huge deal. Also you can pull focus remotely using the app with the WiFi module connected. I couldn't agree more, image quality means nothing if you didn't get the shot. 

7 hours ago, independent said:

I was doing a dolly shot while rack focusing on a target with the FS7. Had to do multiple, multiple takes to get it on and this was with two guys on the camera, one pushing it on a dolly, the other focusing. But because we were going in/out with zooming at the same time, it was quite difficult.. I have a feeling a 1DxII would've just locked it on immediately without any hassle.

7 hours ago, hmcindie said:

I was doing a dolly shot while rack focusing on a target with the FS7. Had to do multiple, multiple takes to get it on and this was with two guys on the camera, one pushing it on a dolly, the other focusing. But because we were going in/out with zooming at the same time, it was quite difficult.. I have a feeling a 1DxII would've just locked it on immediately without any hassle.

Dolly shot was one of the first things that I attempted, just out of curiosity. And I can tell you that the AF helps immensely.