Sony a6300 - How's the camera holding up to your expectations?

rs3d

48 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

A proper comparison would be:

A7SII vs A6300 + Speedbooster, the lens staying the same (you get the same FOV and DOF). The price difference is much less dramatic, but still not small. And A7SII has IS with any lens.

You could buy two a6300/speedbooster combos for the price of one A7sII. If you want IBIS then we're stuck with the A7rII/sII.

I have the A7rII and I'm on the fence about shifting my A7s in favor of the a6300, if the rolling shutter wasn't so bad I would have done this when it was released, if it didn't overheat and I could select the AF point with a touchscreen I'd dump the A7rII and get two as 24mp is the resolution & file size sweet spot for stills for me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

(...) great DR, noise, and resolution, but not much else.

LOL Sure. Who cares such crap? ;-)

@OP: G7 x4 units owner here. You can feel safe with any of both (G7 or a6300), that is, if you know to properly shoot as due, RS, overheating, etc won't be much of a deal breaker. Both capture devices can offer you a picture for big screen, oh yeah, if and when necessary. No need to break the bank.

1 hour ago, JurijTurnsek said:

A7SII vs A6300 + Speedbooster, the lens staying the same (you get the same FOV and DOF). The price difference is much less dramatic, but still not small. And A7SII has IS with any lens.

You get same FOV and DOF but you're not getting the F2.8 that you're getting with the speed booster. You are getting higher sensitivity with the A7sii so perhaps its 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Would be curious to hear how IBIS compares with in-lens IS. 

18 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Sure. Who cares such crap? ;-)

@OP: G7 x4 units owner here. You can feel safe with any of both (G7 or a6300), that is, if you know to properly shoot as due, RS, overheating, etc won't be much of a deal breaker. Both capture devices can offer you a picture for big screen, oh yeah, if and when necessary. No need to break the bank.

G7 is highly functional but simply is not filmic enough. The aesthetic is poor - part of it is sensor size, part of it is color science. All depends on your needs but all things being equal, you're more likely to produce an aesthetic that is more film-like with an a6300 than a G7.

23 minutes ago, forofilms said:

G7 is highly functional but simply is not filmic enough. The aesthetic is poor - part of it is sensor size, part of it is color science. All depends on your needs but all things being equal, you're more likely to produce an aesthetic that is more film-like with an a6300 than a G7.

I follow your idea from your post.

Anyway, the fact is:

to be more or less 'filmic' just depends more on the shooter, than any device out there, no matter what ; ) That's the real game changer. The man of renaissance's point is pretty accurate, actually :-)

Either way, no reason to focus on the camera.

1 hour ago, forofilms said:

Don't low about that, the stuff Andy Lee posts looks pretty damn good to me.

Factoring in the various crops with the a6300 (both can be speed boosted) there's only about a stop difference in terms of DOF. Resolution and DR is slightly in favor of the a6300, though RS is much worse and the G7 can touch focus.

Sorry to add to the OT

He/she wants to say the closer to S35 the more 'filmic'. Aside DR or even color science open gates from LOGs too.

Let's not forget 16mm is also a filmic format anyway ; )

G7 can be as much cinematic as any other. This doesn't mean a6300 is not appealing enough to justify the option as digital cinema camera to mimic film, though. For a fraction of price of the big boys out there. So does G7.

Great 'toy(s)'...

...go figure in pro hands ;-)

On 5/10/2016 at 0:08 PM, majoraxis said:

I love the a6300 image quality.  The low light is fantastic and so is the noise structure as it cleans up well.  Colors seem good to great in non-log mode.  Dynamic range is outstanding.  The image is beyond my expectation and so is the auto focus.  The viewfinder glass on mine is a little blurry on the edges of the screen.  With an external preamp turned up and the internal recording level turn down, but still getting a good recording level, the sound quality is good. Using my external monitor, I am able to monitor audio via HDMI with the headphone jack on my monitor.  Using the HDMI monitor also turns off the LCD screen on the camera when recording.

Re: overheating - things to try:

1. Pull the LCD away from the body.

2. Open the battery door.

3. Put it in airplane mode so the internal wifi does not cause heat.

4. Power it off USB.

5. Swap batteries every 30 minutes with a fresh cold battery.

6. Add an aluminum cage that acts as a heat sink.

7. Add a fan.

8. Other ideas - dummy battery powered by external USB.  Third party battery grip.

Anyone could try 1-4. 5 is reasonable on a real shoot.  If your gonna do 1-5, doing number 6 makes since as well.  I would prefer not using a fan, but if I have to, on a hot day, I would.

Using the a7r2 with the time limit hack (removing the 30 minute limit) I get almost 2 hours straight with that plus the grip.  So I use the a7r2 as the primary and let it roll - and the a6300 in short clips and/or the slow motion shots.  They match up perfectly in post - for $844 used for the a6300 I picked up on B&H I couldn't be happier.  Plus I just love the little tilt-able built in flash for quick bounce photos.  It's a winner.

On 5/11/2016 at 10:04 AM, JurijTurnsek said:

for some, the most important thing is the amount of light rather than dof aesthetics. so the "proper" comparison is relative