1DX II, A7S II, C300 II - Compared Side-by-Side

jcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYmrhWl8wmM

1DX II, A7S II, C300 II, shot side by side (not shown in that order).

Settings (all set to 4800K WB, 1/48 or 1/50 shutter):

1DX II: Canon 24-105 F4L at 105mm, F5.6, ISO 400, Faithful profile (with contrast turned down), 1080p IPB (~32Mbps)

A7S II: Canon 24-105 F4L (+MB IV), 105mm, F5.6, ISO 1600, Slog 2 + SGamut3.cine + 16 Sat, 4K 100Mbps

C300 II: Canon 24-70 F2.8 II at 70mm, F5.6, ISO 400, Canon Log 2, Cinema gamut, Production Matrix (Alexa-LUT-compatible settings), 1080p 50Mbps IPB

Spent only a few minutes keying and matching the shots (PP CC Lumetri + Ultra Key).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, tugela said:

Not a whole lot of difference. I asked an associate at work what he thought, and to him they all looked the same.

Cool, thx for the feedback. Looks they can work together for multicam shoots without too much post work.

This test is meaningless. The setting on all three cameras are completely different. Plus they chose to shoot 4k with the Sony and 1080p with the Canons. See the post here. From the original post. 

1DX II, A7S II, C300 II, shot side by side (not shown in that order).
Settings (all set to 4800K WB, 1/48 or 1/50 shutter):
1DX II: Canon 24-105 F4L at 105mm, F5.6, ISO 400, Faithful profile (with contrast turned down), 1080p IPB (~32Mbps)
A7S II: Canon 24-105 F4L (+MB IV), 105mm, F5.6, ISO 1600, Slog 2 + SGamut3.cine + 16 Sat, 4K 100Mbps
C300 II: Canon 24-70 F2.8 II at 70mm, F5.6, ISO 400, Canon Log 2, Cinema gamut, Production Matrix (Alexa-LUT-compatible settings), 1080p 50Mbps IPB
Spent only a few minutes keying and matching the shots (PP CC Lumetri + Ultra Key).

JCS - You look attractive with a blonde wig and glossy lipstick.  Just kidding. 

Only see differences if looking closely.   Dress 2 and 3 - close color match.  Pink bracelet - closer match on 1 and 2.  And so on.  Vast majority will not see any differences.  Keep up the good work.  Cheers.

5 hours ago, DBounce said:

This test is meaningless. The setting on all three cameras are completely different. Plus they chose to shoot 4k with the Sony and 1080p with the Canons. See the post here. From the original post. 

This was our test to see how easy it would be to match these cameras. How would you make the camera settings more equivalent?

9 hours ago, jcs said:

Looks they can work together for multicam shoots without too much post work.

they definitely can. good work, thanks for sharing this

so which canon is which? id be interested in knowing which take on the lipstick color/reds/oranges is most accurate

9 hours ago, bunk said:

A7s II, C300 II, 1DX II.

motivation: lipstick of 2 an 3 have the same color. 3 best detail.

oh cool i missed this. so is this correct jcs? clearly the sony is on the left lol. look at that magenta lipstick! still, in spite of that skin tones are v reasonable

4 hours ago, jcs said:

This was our test to see how easy it would be to match these cameras. How would you make the camera settings more equivalent?

Well in that case you may have come about as close as possible. But why the different resolutions?

Jcs that's a good point. Those 3 pictures looks almost the same... There are differences of course, like colors, and resolution but hey, this proves there's no need to fight when speaking about cameras.

My preferred goes to the one on the center. If it is the A7SII i'm glad i chose that camera. And if it is not the A7SII, i'm happy too because everyone here can't tell which is which while being 100% affirmative...

13 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

So you didn't notice the 4K vs HD? I thought you said that you could always tell... :)

On my 720p laptop, of course not. It is all 720p. And in any case, resolution is less of an issue with large objects that fill much of the screen because your eye is looking at the macro scale. It is a problem when the object of attention fills a small part of the screen, such as someone a way back from the camera. At lower resolutions such objects degenerate into blobs, with good 4K it maintains enough detail to still look realistic. Anyone who shoots video should be aware of this, so how come you don't know it?

What is your problem?

I appreciate the test. But it is somewhat exhibiting the lowest common denominator. They would all seem close if that's what you're aiming to do. 

What would be neat is another test of the three cameras showing their strengths in challenging conditions. High contrast scene testing max dynamic range, low-light testing noise, a moving subject to test autofocus, etc. 

But, appreciate the test nonetheless.