Audio Problems - Severe Scratching

Gregormannschaft

Hey folks, slight problem encountered while shooting a doc. I've got Sony A7S2 with a usually lovely sounding Sennheiser MKE 600 shotgun mic on top with the Sennheiser dead cat protecting against wind. I have an XLR > 3.5mm cable linking it to the camera and on some videos there is an awful scratching noise that flicks in and out, check it out:

I'm thinking it's got to be the strap rubbing against the 3.5mm jack input, but can't seem to effectively reproduce it and work out how it happens...meaning some shots of the interviews I've done are effectively ruined.

Anyone know if a 3.5mm jack that locks down would work better? Or a strap for the A7 series that wouldn't rub against this input? Or...well, has anyone else ever had this problem?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From a mixers perspective - please - never (please!)  use a camera mic for interviews. It's always going to reduce your perceived product appreciation by a great deal. It can't be helped in post - we can't polish the turd, just sprinkle it in a little glitter I'm afraid.

That's a bad cable and/or connection. 

And yes, as the other poster replied, get a handle on the concept of mic placement.

The world's best microphones are pretty much worthless if you don't utilize them correctly. 

Btw, as you found out the hard way, (and I'll say it here so other's might avoid the mistake) never record an interview while not monitoring the audio on your recording device.

No-one whistles a 2 shot at the end of a film - it's a game of 2 halves :) Good picture + bad audio = bad experience, bad pics and great audio = well you know the answer. You can't skimp on good audio, if you want a great end result.

Thanks guys, I should clarify as I get school'd on sound. 

I'm out in the field picking up random interviews with people at a Spurs match day. Groups of people, in crowded pubs, and I'm a 1 man band and then some. For the proper interviews with the film's actual protagonists I'm using the camera mic as a backup/scratch and a wireless lav, but when I'm running around convincing strangers to speak to the camera, I'm using the shotgun mic as I have no time (and actual ability to take off all my equipment and bags) and get them mic'd up...they'll have left by that point.

Anyway, always interested when it comes to sound so if there's a better option as a 1 man band scenario happy to hear suggestions. I'm guessing the optimal thing here is to have a lovely sound person with a lovely boom pole, right?

I must admit, I do love the MKE 600 so far, in an incredibly loud pub it picked up my interviewee's voice better than my ears did.

Yep, similar situation here. Picking up groups of kids (kindergarten, class rooms) or quick question/answer situations in the field. A classical interview situation with a lav mic is easier but sometimes you can't use it and/or need good ambient sound. @Gregormannschaft, are you always using the MKE 600 directly into the cam? I also have the KA 600 but prefer a preamp/mixer in between. 

7 minutes ago, Mars said:

Yep, similar situation here. Picking up groups of kids (kindergarten, class rooms) or quick question/answer situations in the field. A classical interview situation with a lav mic is easier but sometimes you can't use it and/or need good ambient sound. @Gregormannschaft, are you always using the MKE 600 directly into the cam? I also have the KA 600 but prefer a preamp/mixer in between. 

Yeah, no mixer here, directly into the camera. I don't have massive experience with camera preamps, but the Sony A7s' seem to have really good ones. I'm at half gain on the camera and getting good levels, and from what I can hear, clean audio. If this were a bigger production maybe my tactic wouldn't work, but it's my final MA doc, well ethnographic film really, and I seem to have some of the fancier gear around. I'd certainly be shot down for SLOG 3 and a DSLR at all really, but I'm confident I can get the look I want and am really comfortable using DSLR's for this kind of thing.