Upgrading from GH2 - F3, Red One, or BMC?

OzNimbus

Hey gang,

Here's a question that's been on my mind for the last few days... I enjoy shooting with the hacked GH2, I'm getting a lot of use out of it.  However, i want to step up out of 8 bit video. Several options have come to mind recently.

Bear in mind, my main purpose is Music Video & the occasional live concert.... I want something that looks filmic.

Sony F3:  with Slog, and the price drop on used cameras, it's very affordable, and very tempting.  I'm curious how Slog and resolution stacks up to the GH2. 

BMCC:  might take forever for a working sensor & active M43 mount.

Red One:  Again, very tempting on the used market.

If you had the cash, which would you choose?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm in the same situation as you. I have some money saved up and a desire to get out of 8-bit. But after canceling my pre-order for the BlackMagic, I've realized that there is nothing on the market that can meet my needs at a price I am willing to pay right now.

That being said, NAB is not that far away so I am going to hold out.

there are some big differences in each of those cameras

bmcc = best bang for buck

f3 = is only 1080 i believe (i'm sure it has HDMI out, i've not done a lot of research on it, but the price dropping as caught my eye)

red one = 90% chance you will have to buy a used one, and then the accessories, and although it is an amazing camera, it's slowly being looked at as being "old".  I personally would take one in a heartbeat if the price was right.  But I'm waiting around on the BMCC.  If it doesn't blow my mind and impress me = to the hype, I then will look into other options.  I would say 2013 will be a big year for cameras.

and depending on your shooting style, a camera that doesn't deserve enough credit and is a tad bit overpriced is the Panasonic HPX 255 or even the 250, but they are P2, and it's being said that P2 is a dying breed, and pretty dang expensive.  But the specs of the hpx255 are pretty nice as far as a "all in 1 camera" 10 bit 422 100mbs built in ND and so on

ok, I take everything I said back lol

get a c100 with an atomos ninja....i forgot about this setup lol

I agree QHR, when you start to look into a true generational upgrade option from the GH2, going above 8-bit seems to be a good idea. That in mind, the only other camera that you could add to the list is the fs700 when the 4k firmware update is released.

Personally, I think the f3 give an incredibly filmic image with great motion. But yes, NAB is coming up and all the cameras on the market will undoubtable drop in price soon after the conference.