Nikon 35-70mm AIS with 5D RAW ML

Ty Harper

Anybody got experience with this lens on a 5D?

Going on a trip and although I have the 24-105mm I'm no longer a fan of the images I get out of it.

I've heard good things about this lens, it's super cheap ($80), macro @ 70mm, and I have a nikon adapter.

Or will the 24-105mm give me better photo and video images?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just buy 'n try. It's not like it's going to lose its value should you decide it's not your thing and put it up for sale again.

Two fun 35-70mm I always keep an eye out for are from Angenieux and Leica. But you might need to wait a century for a real bargain to cross paths... I think the Nikon will do fine though, it's good value. The 24-105mm is a practical lens, mostly for stills, but I understand you'd want to spice it up a bit, so really go and explore your options... you might even want to think about replacing the Canon with the same range Sigma... that might change things up enough for you as well.

• 3 months later...
On 06/05/2016 at 11:55 PM, squig said:

I had a full set of Nikon ai/ai-s primes and a 35-70mm that I used with the 5D MK2. Great old school optics. I only got rid of them because I upgraded to a set of old Leicas.  A 'friend' stole my 35-70. Another great lens is the Pentax 35-105mm "stack of primes". https://www.flickr.com/groups/2109431@N20/ I'ts not parfocal like the Nikon though.

Which one do you think would give better overall video IQ on a 5D MKIII?

5 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Which one do you think would give better overall video IQ on a 5D MKIII?

I'd go for the Pentax, it's got more range and smoother bokeh. I haven't done a side by side test with the Nikon for sharpness, but I did test the Pentax for sharpness against my Leica primes and it was right up there, hence the nickname "stack of primes". Nikon ais zooms weren't as sharp as the primes. Photographers rave about it.

On 8/22/2016 at 7:15 PM, squig said:

I'd go for the Pentax, it's got more range and smoother bokeh. I haven't done a side by side test with the Nikon for sharpness, but I did test the Pentax for sharpness against my Leica primes and it was right up there, hence the nickname "stack of primes". Nikon ais zooms weren't as sharp as the primes. Photographers rave about it.

Cool, just saw one for about $150 and am really considering going for it. Any experience with the Zeiss C/Y 35-70mm f/3.4 and how it might compare to the Pentax and Nikon? 

11 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Cool, just saw one for about $150 and am really considering going for it. Any experience with the Zeiss C/Y 35-70mm f/3.4 and how it might compare to the Pentax and Nikon? 

Not that particular lens no, but as far as I know it's not sought after.

Be sure to check the Pentax is free of fungus, and that there's no oil on the aperture blades. A bit of dust is ok. Light cleaning marks on the glass aren't usually a problem either. $150 is a good price if it's in good shape.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:50 PM, squig said:

Not that particular lens no, but as far as I know it's not sought after.

Be sure to check the Pentax is free of fungus, and that there's no oil on the aperture blades. A bit of dust is ok. Light cleaning marks on the glass aren't usually a problem either. $150 is a good price if it's in good shape.

Thanks, really appreciate all your advice! Did you have issues adapting the lens to your 5D and was there a particular K-mount to Canon EOS adapter you'd recommend? I've been seeing conflicting reports about the K mount lenses and its ability to fit on a Canon EOS camera.

5 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Thanks, really appreciate all your advice! Did you have issues adapting the lens to your 5D and was there a particular K-mount to Canon EOS adapter you'd recommend? I've been seeing conflicting reports about the K mount lenses and its ability to fit on a Canon EOS camera.

I just use a cheap Chinese adapter with mine. You sometimes have to buy a few of them to find one that fits well.

The 35-70 2.8 AF was a top-line pro Nikkor back in the day and they're reasonable and have an aperture ring. Just have to watch the veiling flare on those, use a good hood and make sure your copy doesn't have haze internally. I shot several music videos with that lens. Pro-build, all metal, 2.8 all the way through.

I really liked it for stylish music vids - I could use the top flag on my matte box to dial in (or out) flare from visible lights, had a cool look. Replace with the 28-70 2.8 though.