Requesting a 4K 5D Mark IV! Werner meets Canon in Germany

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

1 year ago I published a post on EOSHD telling people why it is 100% obvious that Canon will put 4k on the 5DIV with a list of arguments. 
People had same reaction as you "do you believe that joke" . Now today most people actually are convinced it will have 4K. Let's not start this again and use your brain to think. Mirrorless is growing fast and is the future in many aspects of photo/video. Canon will come to it and of course in FF. They might be dumb in not giving us the features we want to protect some of there product lines, but they are not that dumb to avoid one of the biggest market to come. 

It is a fact the new Canon 5D Mark 4 will have 4K.

Will it have 4K 60p, like the new Canon 1DX Mark ii?

NO.

Remember, the original 1D X was superior in image quality and low light to the 5D3.

This will not change. Pony up the 6K or be happy with the Mark 4 with 24p 4K.

And YES, I do believe in Santa Claus. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree - Canon colors with the A7S features - why can't they do that?  

Plus flip screen is nice on a7s and weight being a lot less.

Canon color science I love.  I need to experiment again with my Nikon cameras as well.  Getting the sony chip there is possible, but I feel like the native Canon chip maybe nicer - I don't know - I haven't done any test.

here's some photos I did this week on the a7s ii.

DSC08738.jpg

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08880.jpg

DSC08882.jpg

DSC08970.jpg

13 hours ago, wolf33d said:

1 year ago I published a post on EOSHD telling people why it is 100% obvious that Canon will put 4k on the 5DIV with a list of arguments.

5DIV with 4K is easy,but developing a FF mirriorless with FF M-lens line means a huge change,not to mention it will threaten their existing DSLR line

It is impossible over the next 4 years~

Do you see how the EOS-M going now ?

It is way behind  its competitors,specially the short battery life

BTW , I have just found that dual piexl AF will stop working  during zooming,anyone know why?And does it the same on C300M2?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

5DIV with 4K is easy,but developing a FF mirriorless with FF M-lens line means a huge change,not to mention it will threaten their existing DSLR line

BTW , I have just found that dual piexl AF will stop working  during zooming,anyone know why?And does it the same on C300M2?

They can just make it for EF lenses. Easy.

• Administrators

Nice A7S II photos Ed.

Take it those with raws.

If it did that kind of look out of the box on one of the JPEG profiles Sony would do us all a big favour.

It is possible the sensors have a different look too.

Maybe moving to on-chip A/D hurts colour, but speeds up the readout. Maybe this is why Canon dragged their heels on 4K. Who knows. We'll find out soon enough, if the 1D X Mark II has a Sony look or if it is more like the 1D C.

• Super Members
38 minutes ago, gelaxstudio said:

Like the ulgy Pentax K01?

Who cares what it looks like? 

Just look at the Sony A7, its even bigger than a Nikon d750 with most equivalent lenses. You either have the flange on the camera or lens. That's just how it is.

Unless you go all manual like Leica. Speaking of, they could go the Leica T route and have an adapter for old EF.

Long story short. Its not a problem for canon to make a FF mirrorless. The problem is to get people to buy it. The 5mkiii is old but still outsell any mirrorless model you throw at it.

They want to make money.

8 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

Lol.. And what about EF mount... Is the purpose of getting a Canon camera not mainly based on their lenses?..
Its been said since months that they will use EF mount on their mirrorless.

39 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Its been said since months that they will use EF mount on their mirrorless.

Don't take rumors as facts...

My friend of an uncle said that you have a wart on your forehead is a rumor.

You are a "human" that should know better than to believe in "stupid" rumors is a fact.

Now all rumors are not stupid, and makes you want to believe.... But a rumor is a rumor, which means that it's made up. So do not take it as a fact.

I have the 1DX2 since 10 days now.  Used to work with A7R/S2 and GH4, the size and weight and the lack of a tilting screen or peaking is a big minus.  Even on the photo side Canon did cut features like internal timelapse or the HDR function of the 5D3, which is very uncool for this price. 

But by adding a magnet viewfinder like in old 5D2 days, the 1DX2 is still a handable and can be used as one man show, with 2 outstanding advantages:  4K 60fps of course and the excellent video autofocus.  If you use it right, there is no need for manual focus or focus peaking, and shooting can be done much faster than before and can be even more fun with even sharper shots.

Amazingly the video autofocus does work very good with all Canon lenses from the last years, and also selected ones like the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC or 85/1.8 VC.  Without any logical pattern, other Tamron or Sigma lenses don't do video focus at all.  A Tamron 16-300 superzoom doesn't work although it has great stabilization paired with the 1DX2, a Sigma 18-300 does have video focus but weak stabilization.  Crop lenses don't seem to vignette with the 1.3x 4K video crop of the camera.

The photo focus features and 16fps are also very nice for certain shooting situations, although the amount of MP is low when being used to a 5DsR, 645Z or A7R2.  To me it is not an outstanding dynamic range monster and the quality difference to pics like from an RX100 IV is not huge enough.

What's missing is the whole amount of nice small E-mount lenses and stupidly no Canon crop lenses can be mounted, so a 1DX2 setup will require all the large and heavy Canon full frame lenses.  At least they work great and are a pro photo option as well, so the cominations make it an excellen allround camera.

Strange is that 4K 25fps video can be recorded on fast CF cards and doesnt require the superexpensive CFAST cards like Canon says.  In 4K 60fps mode, the CF cards do stop recording after app. 8 seconds.

All in all Canon needs to be quick to release mirrorless versions of their DSLR lineup.  At photokina Sony will release the A9 that comes with all relevant DSLR features and of course the best of the A7 world - and if this A9 camera does have 4K 60fps, there is no need for a 1DX2 anymore (and certainly not a 5D4).

On 08/05/2016 at 1:52 PM, lafilm said:

NO.

Remember, the original 1D X was superior in image quality and low light to the 5D3.

It's hard to believe that after 4 years time, the 5D IV will lack the video features to legitimately compete with an a6300.  

On 9 May 2016 at 6:48 PM, douglaurent said:

I have the 1DX2 since 10 days now.  Used to work with A7R/S2 and GH4, the size and weight and the lack of a tilting screen or peaking is a big minus.  Even on the photo side Canon did cut features like internal timelapse or the HDR function of the 5D3, which is very uncool for this price. 

But by adding a magnet viewfinder like in old 5D2 days, the 1DX2 is still a handable and can be used as one man show, with 2 outstanding advantages:  4K 60fps of course and the excellent video autofocus.  If you use it right, there is no need for manual focus or focus peaking, and shooting can be done much faster than before and can be even more fun with even sharper shots.

Amazingly the video autofocus does work very good with all Canon lenses from the last years, and also selected ones like the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC or 85/1.8 VC.  Without any logical pattern, other Tamron or Sigma lenses don't do video focus at all.  A Tamron 16-300 superzoom doesn't work although it has great stabilization paired with the 1DX2, a Sigma 18-300 does have video focus but weak stabilization.  Crop lenses don't seem to vignette with the 1.3x 4K video crop of the camera.

The photo focus features and 16fps are also very nice for certain shooting situations, although the amount of MP is low when being used to a 5DsR, 645Z or A7R2.  To me it is not an outstanding dynamic range monster and the quality difference to pics like from an RX100 IV is not huge enough.

What's missing is the whole amount of nice small E-mount lenses and stupidly no Canon crop lenses can be mounted, so a 1DX2 setup will require all the large and heavy Canon full frame lenses.  At least they work great and are a pro photo option as well, so the cominations make it an excellen allround camera.

Strange is that 4K 25fps video can be recorded on fast CF cards and doesnt require the superexpensive CFAST cards like Canon says.  In 4K 60fps mode, the CF cards do stop recording after app. 8 seconds.

All in all Canon needs to be quick to release mirrorless versions of their DSLR lineup.  At photokina Sony will release the A9 that comes with all relevant DSLR features and of course the best of the A7 world - and if this A9 camera does have 4K 60fps, there is no need for a 1DX2 anymore (and certainly not a 5D4).

Thanks. Nice information.

Indeed Sony will come with A9 which will mainly correct the issues of the A7R II for pros (RAW bursts, dual memory cards, bigger body, AF,...). But it will be a Sony, will cost an arm and you will have to pay a lot for the good few sony lenses.
Canon will come with 5DIV which will be a 1DxII in video except only 4k30p and maybe C-LOG. It won't have IBIS. won't have D810 DR and will have a mirror..
Panasonic will come with a great GH5 but thats M43...

Well... Maybe we have more hopes for the FF Canon mirrorless upcoming end of this year. 

On May 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM, lafilm said:

NO.

What's the likelihood ML will work on 5d4 (didn't Canon change their operating system recently?)

On May 9, 2016 at 9:37 PM, Ed_David said:

I agree - Canon colors with the A7S features - why can't they do that?  

Plus flip screen is nice on a7s and weight being a lot less.

Canon color science I love.  I need to experiment again with my Nikon cameras as well.  Getting the sony chip there is possible, but I feel like the native Canon chip maybe nicer - I don't know - I haven't done any test.

here's some photos I did this week on the a7s ii.

DSC08738.jpg

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08880.jpg

DSC08882.jpg

DSC08970.jpg

Nice shots, Ed. I have to admit, all your A7s/A7s ii videos look very filmic. 

What's your secret sauce if I may ask?

And, would you feel comfortable shooting narrative on an A7s ii, or prefer a different mirrorless/dslr (if those were your only choices for shooting). Thanks Ed.

11 hours ago, lafilm said:

And, would you feel comfortable shooting narrative on an A7s ii, or prefer a different mirrorless/dslr (if those were your only choices for shooting). Thanks Ed.

thanks man

I just use basically cine4 and pro color gamut .  And then filmconvert in post -and go from there.  Or impulz luts.  whatever floats your boat - all in coloring stuff

• 2 months later...
On May 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Ed_David said:

thanks man

I just use basically cine4 and pro color gamut .  And then filmconvert in post -and go from there.  Or impulz luts.  whatever floats your boat - all in coloring stuff

Thanks again for the info Ed.

On 5/12/2016 at 1:40 PM, lafilm said:

Opps forgot to answer...

Im too spoiled. I have a sony f65. Well actually i shot half of the short tangents  directed by matty brown on the a7s ii

And i use it for insert shots

For a little guy its great

Is the blackmagic micro better?

Yea i probably should have kept it

Oh well

Can always rent

Also now i know a lot more about color

Anyway try renting it and some others.

Its all cheap now to rent and test

• 4 weeks later...

Canon 5D IV specs are now out in detail and pretty reliable. MJPEG still, no word on crop. Maybe that will be the big thing about 5D - that it won't crop when shooting 4K:
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-specifications-and-image

A lot of unreliable chatter about a hybrid OVF/EVF. Prism hump seems a big bigger than previous generations, but it could contain anything at this point.