Requesting a 4K 5D Mark IV! Werner meets Canon in Germany

Andrew Reid

13 hours ago, sudopera said:

Unless someone as a hybrid shooter is really interested in good stills/video combo, I don't really get why to even bother thinking about 5D IV. It will probably shoot cropped 4K, and previously the greatest appeal of DSLR-s over regular video cameras was FF look. I guess the price will be around 3500$, so as a video shooter if you're ok with 4K aps-c / S35 video, why even consider it when for a similar price you can buy something like JVC GY-LS300. I think this video speeks for itself.

I like the look of the LS300 and I don't mind APS-C at all, but what I personally want is Canon's DPAF, Canon LOG and low light performance around that of the Sony A7r2 (I'm not holding my breath for A7s low light ability to pop up for Canon) to show up in 4K and do internal 1080p supersampling. How is the LS300's continuous AF performance with Canon zoom lenses (I have the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 IS)? Might consider it for daytime videos.

Edit: Oh, but the LS300 looks to have the same kind of weird colour going on with green like the A7s.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Do a better job for you.

If had to carry a camera over a glacier, would I prefer the RED One and huge tripod? Or a weather sealed 1DX-II?

Yeah , but If you had the budget to go do a shooting on a glacier, you should probably rent/buy something like a c300 mk2 that is weather sealed with pro camera functions and internal ND. Because I don t think you want to go shoot a space where everything is white without zebra and peaking and on a 8 bits codec.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, imattci89 said:

I like the look of the LS300 and I don't mind APS-C at all, but what I personally want is Canon's DPAF, Canon LOG and low light performance around that of the Sony A7r2 (I'm not holding my breath for A7s low light ability to pop up for Canon) to show up in 4K and do internal 1080p supersampling. How is the LS300's continuous AF performance with Canon zoom lenses (I have the 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 IS)? Might consider it for daytime videos.

Edit: Oh, but the LS300 looks to have the same kind of weird colour going on with green like the A7s.

The AF works ok, never use AF but tested it with the 24-105.

No, there is no Sony color issue at all IMO. It looks great.

7 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

So far none that I know but the GH5 and A7S/R3 coming this year should fill the void. Meanwhile most Sony and Panasonic camera have offered 4K 30p for the past 2 years. Heck even cheap Xiaomi action cam manufacturer is going to introduce 4K on the new Xiaomi Yi.

Meanwhile Canon might finally wake up and give us crippled 4k with the new 5Dmk4 but who care at this point ? They'll still be 3 steps behind the rest of the industry.

I hope they don't. Like you said, Sony has already provided us with really bad 4K so Canon can wait until they can make it good.

The Panasony 4K is not better than good HD upscaled imo. To get good 4K you need a big camera with a fan and a high bitrate. 

That's why there is no 4K bmpcc. C300ii, xc10, ls300, bmpc4k all have cooling.

Sony even overheats their smartphones when shooting 4K, deliberately. I don't think Canon is ever going to release something that's half ass.

And if you ask me, 4K is still just a little feature like 120p or an extra battery. Some cameras have it, some don't. Its a minimum of 10 years before its needed. That's how long it took for 720p to become a "standard". HD is not there yet.

3 hours ago, Laurier said:

Yeah , but If you had the budget to go do a shooting on a glacier, you should probably rent/buy something like a c300 mk2 that is weather sealed with pro camera functions and internal ND. Because I don t think you want to go shoot a space where everything is white without zebra and peaking and on a 8 bits codec.

Then I would need a stills camera too.

Why can't people grasp that everyone's needs are different and there is no perfect camera for every single job?

Canon's attitude can be mystifying to people like myself, however, I do wonder if Canon's years of accumulated wisdom are holding them back. One thing that that often isn't mentioned is the trauma that film point and shoots put the industry through in the early 90's. A little anecdote below might be relevant to where this seemingly odd attitude has come from.

My brother got a sales job at just this time with a big Japanese DSLR manufacturer (I won't say who but it wasn't Canon) just as all the companies were introducing point and shoots. Development was frenetic and for the customer very exciting. These smaller and much cheaper cameras proved to be massive hit - anyone could now get decent shots for a fraction of the cost of what was often a manual SLR. The problem though was that people just stopped buying SLRs - almost overnight! It got so bad that his company at times would only allow allow trade customers to order a point and shoot if they also bought an SLR body for stock. The thing was that this disruption wasn't caused by a sudden new entrant but that they out competed themselves. They wiped out their own market and Canon did the same thing as his company. It was a massive corporate trauma that they saw as self inflicted. Slow, steady non disruptive progression and clear product differentiation through pricing would appear to be the answer to such a lesson. (Which is fine until a new entrant / upstart like Sony comes along!)

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

for now.......

tumblr_o6qwllH72g1uv7lrro1_1280.jpg

LEL!

My Scarlet standard setup is 7kg with a small prime lens. So if i can I'm happy to use a little camera, if I don't need the nicest image quality.

Every Red should come with a set of these:

bodybuilding_legends.jpg

7 hours ago, Laurier said:

In this situation battery life would be a real problem, as batteries massively underperform in freezing conditions. You'd need a huge sack of them for an SLR. I'd definitely want to run with big goldmounts or v-locks, and yes 10-bit at least for smooth transitional tones.

8 hours ago, imattci89 said:

I like the look of the LS300 and I don't mind APS-C at all, but what I personally want is Canon's DPAF, Canon LOG and low light performance around that of the Sony A7r2 (I'm not holding my breath for A7s low light ability to pop up for Canon) to show up in 4K and do internal 1080p supersampling.

I'm not sure there will be C-log in 5D IV if 1DX II doesn't have it.

8 hours ago, imattci89 said:

As for the color issue, I really don't see it. I actualy am one of those that don't like Sony colors :grin: and JVC footage shot in J-log that I saw on Vimeo really looks great and very natural in terms of color to me.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, longbow said:

Canon's attitude can be mystifying to people like myself, however, I do wonder if Canon's years of accumulated wisdom are holding them back. One thing that that often isn't mentioned is the trauma that film point and shoots put the industry through in the early 90's. A little anecdote below might be relevant to where this seemingly odd attitude has come from.

My brother got a sales job at just this time with a big Japanese DSLR manufacturer (I won't say who but it wasn't Canon) just as all the companies were introducing point and shoots. Development was frenetic and for the customer very exciting. These smaller and much cheaper cameras proved to be massive hit - anyone could now get decent shots for a fraction of the cost of what was often a manual SLR. The problem though was that people just stopped buying SLRs - almost overnight! It got so bad that his company at times would only allow allow trade customers to order a point and shoot if they also bought an SLR body for stock. The thing was that this disruption wasn't caused by a sudden new entrant but that they out competed themselves. They wiped out their own market and Canon did the same thing as his company. It was a massive corporate trauma that they saw as self inflicted. Slow, steady non disruptive progression and clear product differentiation through pricing would appear to be the answer to such a lesson. (Which is fine until a new entrant / upstart like Sony comes along!)

Interesting, thanks.

Now they are going through the same thing again and it's self inflicted because they had 10 years to respond to the dawning of the mainstream smartphone camera era and didn't, also at the same time completely ignoring the entire online services world, specifically image sharing services like Instagram and Flickr which Canon should have bought a long time ago before they became successful.

I think its really hard to 'un-learn' such long standing lessons. Its almost as if experience can be a handicap these days. I suspect the problem with Canon is culture and Sony is able to make that up as they go along as they're a new entrant. I also suspect that Sony doesn't have lots of 'wise heads' cautioning against the cardinal sin of competing with themselves. (Would anyone else be comfortable at having 4 versions of their flagship compact on sale at all at once - even I'm a bit confused by that?) But in this age of near perfect customer information offering such an a la carte approach (rather than structered a set menu) its a really interesting idea that seems now to work. 

What are they actually saying?

Nothing. Forget about it. They are talking about the decline of something. The point they are trying to make it's something like this: you go to a coffee and you ask for a coffee without cream. The waitress replies: Sorry, we don't have cream, but we have milk, can I give you a coffee without milk. The costumer replies it's 2016 I need 4k, why aren't you trying to sell me 2.5k global shutter 10 bit 4.2.2.

It's surrealistic, but in the the end what we need to take into account it's that nothing is always something.   

This video is hilarious. 
It is funny though that your are not mentioning @Andrew Reid the confirmed new FF mirrorless by Canon (CR5 canonrumors). Should be more interesting for us than the 5DIV. Planned for end of the year. 
I agree that if you look only into video GH5 is the biggest event of this year. It will have 6K, 4K60p and IBIS. The only thing I wonder is about the AF... will it remain shit like GH4 or good like A6300/Canon DPAF ? 

Then if you look like me into stills/video in one body and FF... GH5 wont be the solution once again. 5DIV (or mirrorless version) could be, but won't be. I guess the Sony A9 to be released this year could be a beast. Let's see

10 hours ago, wolf33d said:

This video is hilarious. 
It is funny though that your are not mentioning @Andrew Reid the confirmed new FF mirrorless by Canon (CR5 canonrumors). Should be more interesting for us than the 5DIV. Planned for end of the year. 

new FF mirrorless by Canon?

U actually believe that joke?

1 hour ago, gelaxstudio said:

new FF mirrorless by Canon?

U actually believe that joke?

1 year ago I published a post on EOSHD telling people why it is 100% obvious that Canon will put 4k on the 5DIV with a list of arguments. 
People had same reaction as you "do you believe that joke" . Now today most people actually are convinced it will have 4K. Let's not start this again and use your brain to think. Mirrorless is growing fast and is the future in many aspects of photo/video. Canon will come to it and of course in FF. They might be dumb in not giving us the features we want to protect some of there product lines, but they are not that dumb to avoid one of the biggest market to come. 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

1 year ago I published a post on EOSHD telling people why it is 100% obvious that Canon will put 4k on the 5DIV with a list of arguments. 
People had same reaction as you "do you believe that joke" . Now today most people actually are convinced it will have 4K. Let's not start this again and use your brain to think. Mirrorless is growing fast and is the future in many aspects of photo/video. Canon will come to it and of course in FF. They might be dumb in not giving us the features we want to protect some of there product lines, but they are not that dumb to avoid one of the biggest market to come. 

You could be right or you could be wrong.

Most kids believe in Santa Claus, and every once in a while there is a Christmas miracle too...

All I'm saying is... you could hope... but given past experience... it just doesn't seem likely.