Requesting a 4K 5D Mark IV! Werner meets Canon in Germany

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

5d4 will have 4k, the 5d3 still sells well, no need to rush the mkIV until they get everything sorted. With the 5dsr covering the MP race, Canon can recycle the 1dx2 innards in the 5d body with fewer FPS, a watered down version of its AF and so on and it would kill for the next 4 years. 

(CR5) We will also see a real entry into the mirrorless space from Canon this year. ;-)

Nikon is the real wild card with the d810 successor now that they're all in with 4k bodies and the DL series. They really have to start lobbing grenades at everyone because IMO they're in danger of getting squeezed out of existence. 

• Administrators

Why are Nikon in danger of getting squeezed out of existence when they have far more compelling options than Canon?

The Nikon D750 is a far superior stills camera to the 5D Mark III for cheaper!

Whilst the D810 for high resolution is cheaper than the 5DR S, and again superior tech overall.

35 minutes ago, The Chris said:

5d4 will have 4k,

Perhaps but with Canon I always expect to "see the impossible"... Even with 4k, what kind of 4k would that  be ? The kind that looks like 1440p ? The kind full of moire ? The 8 bits kind at 500mbps ?

And it will most likely omit LOG, peaking, zebra or even lack AF in 4k (remember the the 7Dmk2 doesn't has AF in 1080 60 !?).

So I would bet on a 4K for the shiny sticker on the box.

• Administrators

The 1D X Mark II is $6k

It is 1.5x crop 4K, not even full frame. No Canon LOG like the 1D C, no peaking, or any kind of assists for more comfortable video shooting.

However they did go to the effort to crank up the speed of the sensor so that it could do 4K at 60fps. I wonder why they bothered?

Why bother with that expense on the sensor side and not even add peaking in the firmware?

That's a mystery... the 5D Mark IV will be an even bigger one.

There's not a cat in hells chance it is going to be competitive with the rest of the video market through 2016/17.

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

How the heck did he have an AXE in the studio??? :-o

Dude, This is Germany in the 70's!

I don't understand this obsession for 4k. I understand the frustration about canon not delivering a better camera. But 4k is full of issues, overheating, rolling shutter and the sharpness sometimes is not flatering when filming people, not to mention the workflow issues.  The old arri alexa was 2k only, marvelous skin tones, great DR, very nice grainy noise, global shutter. I think canon should push on that direction. A small body, ef mount, ff sensor , 2..5k  with dp af. It would be like to have a pocket arri alexa.

• Administrators

4K is the standard of 2016 and future proof.

Furthermore 4K is the only way to get true 1080p or 2K res out of a DSLR or mirrorless camera. None of the 1080p cameras shoot 1080p. It's just a sticker on the box. They are really shooting a pixel binned or line skipped image. The exception are the full sensor readout 1080p cameras like the A7S which down-sample better on the image processor, but shooting 4K is still preferable over this as it's future proof. In most situations you also have to shoot 4K to avoid severe moire & aliasing.

So in short, 4K was necessary to move us on from the crappy line-skipping and moire era of DSLR video.

It's not so much a resolution obsession, even if you deliver 1080p, it helps to have your acquisition quality 4K.

Now we have two kinds of 4K... that from a full sensor readout is preferable for the full lens circle to get used, whilst a crop of the sensor readout is a stop-gap until the sensor & image processor tech gets better - although sometimes it has its benefits - like a Super 35mm mode on a full frame camera, and 1.3x crop (1D C) doesn't hurt as much as a 2.3!

True, rolling shutter and heat issues can occasionally bite you on some of the lower end models, but it's still in the most part preferable to have some kind of technological progress than none. Without progress, we wouldn't get through this early phase of imperfect 4K and onto better things.

The only times I avoid 4K these days is if I am shooting hours and hours of live footage and need very small file sizes, or the other aspects of the image outweigh the benefits of the alternative 4K cameras for a particular project - such as full frame RAW on the 5D Mark III with magic lantern for the best colour and keying, or high frame rate 120fps 1080p which can be lovely for certain things.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

4K is the standard of 2016 and future proof.

Furthermore 4K is the only way to get true 1080p or 2K res out of a DSLR or mirrorless camera. None of the 1080p cameras shoot 1080p. It's just a sticker on the box. They are really shooting a pixel binned or line skipped image. The exception are the full sensor readout 1080p cameras like the A7S which down-sample better on the image processor, but shooting 4K is still preferable over this as it's future proof. In most situations you also have to shoot 4K to avoid severe moire & aliasing.

So in short, 4K was necessary to move us on from the crappy line-skipping and moire era of DSLR video.

It's not so much a resolution obsession, even if you deliver 1080p, it helps to have your acquisition quality 4K.

Now we have two kinds of 4K... that from a full sensor readout is preferable for the full lens circle to get used, whilst a crop of the sensor readout is a stop-gap until the sensor & image processor tech gets better - although sometimes it has its benefits - like a Super 35mm mode on a full frame camera, and 1.3x crop (1D C) doesn't hurt as much as a 2.3!

True, rolling shutter and heat issues can occasionally bite you on some of the lower end models, but it's still in the most part preferable to have some kind of technological progress than none. Without progress, we wouldn't get through this early phase of imperfect 4K and onto better things.

The only times I avoid 4K these days is if I am shooting hours and hours of live footage and need very small file sizes, or the other aspects of the image outweigh the benefits of the alternative 4K cameras for a particular project - such as full frame RAW on the 5D Mark III with magic lantern for the best colour and keying, or high frame rate 120fps 1080p which can be lovely for certain things.

Agree with this 100%.

For anything that you may make $ on, you must future proof your work.

It's  only a matter of 18 months before 4K DVD's are here...If you don't think everyone will be re-purchasing their favorite movies in 4K...you better think again.

Also, think of the camera movement and 200% blow up that looks wonderful in 4K.

With the prices $6 grand and under now,  it makes no sense to shoot anything in other than 4K now. Any content you can make money on that is.

I believe the Sony A7S 3 will have super slow mo in 4K. For now you have 1D X ii, if you don't mind the crop.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why are Nikon in danger of getting squeezed out of existence when they have far more compelling options than Canon?

The Nikon D750 is a far superior stills camera to the 5D Mark III for cheaper!

Whilst the D810 for high resolution is cheaper than the 5DR S, and again superior tech overall.

Because Nikon is far less diversified than Canon, Sony and Panasonic. As camera sales continue to slide, they're struggling. 2/3rds of Nikons revenue comes from cameras, just two years ago it was over 3/4ths, all that's really changed is lower imaging revenues. Nobody knows where the bottom is, but Nikon doesn't have the cash reserves to ride it out. I'm sure we'll see lots of cost cutting soon - job losses and facilities closing.

Doesnt matter how good the product is if they can't pay the bills. 

I'm strongly disbelieving the GH5 will feature the same old 16 MP sensor found in G7 (aka GX80 + stabilization), this is a pure speculation with no foundation what so ever in it!

All the rumors until now state it will have a totally new sensor specifically produced by Sony for Panasonic with a multi aspect ratio which measures 18,9 mm per 13mm, with 24 channels readout (cooper wiring and probably BSI), 6K video and 60p in 4K. If this turns true, the new sensor will have around 21+ MP in 4/3 and 18,6 in 16/9 (to accommodate the 6K resolution). :)

http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-panasonic-gh5-sensor-is-made-by-sony/#disqus_thread

http://www.43rumors.com/the-panasonic-gh5-rumor/

Having been invited into the inner circle of product feedback meetings, press briefings, trade show meetings, interviews and demo unit loan contracts myself, I have witnessed first hand exactly what a chilling effect this has on a reviewer’s ability to be truly forthright in their views.

Well, Andrew, yours was with their dealers. Here's mine from their PR agency (Ogilvy): I wanted to request a 70D to try out the-then new Dual Pixel AF system and write about it, but because I was not very kind towards the EOS 6D and its AF system (I called it a "castration") I was basically refused a review unit.

Another one I know was about a local photographer who is a Canon user and was shut out of their product launches after calling the EOS M crap on its launch event.

So essentially, if you only have people on the Internet talking positive things about Canon products, it eventually brings about that perception that Canon products are the best. Talk about shaping reality, eh?

With the release of a $6000 1D body that has no peaking, uses an ancient 8-bit codec and has no log, don't expect the lower range 5D body to be whipping those specs...

the writing has been on the wall for so long it's faded and someone has graffitied toilet-dicks all over it: Canon has seperated video and stills for the foreseeable future.

sad times.