canon C100 50i vs pf25

zerocool22

Hey,

I am shooting cinema mode, with the following settings 24Mbps LPCM 50i 25fps (europe)
Are these the best settings for getting the most out of my c100? I am a bit afraid of the 50i? I thought interlaced was a thing from the past? However when I change 50i to PF25, it seems to loose Dynamic Range??

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I use PF25. DR is the same in all modes as far as I can see, but your shutter speed may be altering when you switch, changing exposure and giving an illusion of altered DR.

If shooting PF25, be sure to interpret the footage in your DAW as progressive (remove field order) or you'll halve your vetical resolution

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The c100 actually records the same in both modes and just puts a metadata flag to intrpret either as 50i or 25p. The HDMI output is 50i even, and you need a recorder that can do a pulldown. It's a strange way to record in the internal chain and unique to the c100 for some reason. So, no, there's absolutely no loss in dynamic range recording in either modes, so you just choose the mode that matches the output you will deliver. The highest quality/resolution/DR mode is 25pfs, 1080p, Cinema LOCK (C-Log) at 850 ISO. I shoot at that all the time even when my output is interlaced for broadcast because shooting in 50i halves the vertical resolution when an NLE sees the flag in the metadata, so i juSt shoot 25 progressive and work from there. To get the most out of it internally shoot pf25, 24mbps, C-LOG. To get even higher quality/lower compression record to an external atomos recorder in 4:2:2 ProRes HQ. The difference is very monimal from internal to external and not visually visible in most cases but when there's fast moving object and/or lots of fine detail moving the internal AVCHD produces quite a bit more artefacts. 

On one shoot I was using a C100 with a Ninja 2 and DNxHD 220x and it dropped one shot, meaning i had to use the AVCHD backup shot from the C100 internal recording.

Even with some heavy grading, you couldn't spot the AVCHD in amongst the Ninja 2 shots. It was a still shot, but there was smoke. It's the best AVCHD implimentation there is, a great piece of work.

An external recorder is better, but the AVCHD is still very, very good.