Your favourite 1080p 60fps image?

Antonis

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 30 April 2016 at 1:41 PM, John Emery said:

Anybody noticed any rolling shutter issues on the BMMCC? Those first two shots of the bridge look like there is a lot of it when panning.

On 11 May 2016 at 8:47 PM, AaronChicago said:

36fps is my new favorite frame rate for slow mo. Everything flows in a smooth motion and doesn't take too long for an image to resolve. Especially when shooting shorter spots where 60fps is too slow for anything to happen.

I wonder if you would get the same perceivable effect if you slowed down those 60fps to 66,67% in a 24fps timeline?

Or would the extra (thrown away) frames result is a less smooth motion?

56 minutes ago, Antonis said:

Anybody noticed any rolling shutter issues on the BMMCC? Those first two shots of the bridge look like there is a lot of it when panning.

I see that also,...I thought the BMMCC was meant to have global shutter

48 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

The Micro makes shooting fun. Very happy with it. This was shot earlier today at 59.94fps with my niece who was on pooper scooper duty. 

password: micro

Man, that looks amazing. The DR is just incredible. This IQ and slow motion is the exact reason why I am selling almost every lens and camera I own to get one. 

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

The Micro makes shooting fun. Very happy with it. This was shot earlier today at 59.94fps with my niece who was on pooper scooper duty. 

password: micro

This camera has me seriously thinking about selling my a7s and gimbal to get the Micro and a GX85/80 or whatever it's called. That's some epic poop scooping. 

@Zak Forsman was that the 18-35mm? Also, excuse my ignorance, but I noticed you wrote this was shot with 59.97 fps, but the Micro has straight 60 fps, is it better to shoot with the 59.97 fps for a specific reason... Same goes for 23.97 as opposed to 24 fps? Also, when shooting 60p(59.97) for slow motion, would you still leave the shutter at 180?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

@Zak Forsman was that the 18-35mm? Also, excuse my ignorance, but I noticed you wrote this was shot with 59.97 fps, but the Micro has straight 60 fps, is it better to shoot with the 59.97 fps for a specific reason... Same goes for 23.97 as opposed to 24 fps? Also, when shooting 60p(59.97) for slow motion, would you still leave the shutter at 180?

23.976 (sometimes "abbreviated" as 23.98) is a broadcast framerate, of which 59.94fps would be the broadcast equivalent of shooting 60fps for slow motion. while true 24fps is a theatrical framerate, of which higher speeds like true 60fps would be matched for. nowadays, our televisions and monitors are capable of displaying everything, but I work in the post world and also have released a couple movies where your broadcast master has to adhere to broadcast delivery specs. this means a framerate of 23.976. and so I'm in the habit of keeping things on the broadcast side because the stuff I produce is destined for televisions -- DVDs, Blu-rays, iTunes, Netflix, etc all run at 23.976fps. If I was using the Micro as a crash cam on a studio level feature that was destined for theaters, I'd be shooting 24 and/or 60. They would later retime the finished movie to 23.976 for broadcast.

and what kidsrevil is referring to is that when television was invented picture and sound had to run at different frequencies. so a slight offset of 29.97 was used instead of true 30fps. when things shifted to a slower framerate in recent decades, they moved to 23.976 as opposed to true 24. now i don't know how necessary that really was today, but i believe it's just one of those things that have stuck around and remained the standard regardless. 

yep, i leave the shutter angle at 180°.

3 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

What's that beautiful lens Zak? 

Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8. Matches their 18-35mm f/1.8 well, but is twice the weight. the lens support pictured isn't necessary, this is the first time I'd put it on the camera so had it there just in case.

2Ylw5xJ.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@Zak Forsman 

Bokeh is beautiful. Not at the close-ups (which is regular and modern) but on the wide-ish deep-ish DOF first shots. The lens renders the background in a less-than-perfect non-creamy way, actually quite busy and swirly, very vintage and cinematic especially on the frame the edges. 

Are we seeing a s35 render of the lens (SB) or a s16 crop of it (non speedboosted)? 

I am quite interested in buying one. My only telephoto is the Canon 55-250mm STM IS (which is an EXTREMELY SHARP lens, think 70-200mm F/2.8 L II/Sigma 50mm ART sharp!), but is as clinical as an L or ART lens with a creamy regular bokeh render, so looking for a vintage/interesting/swirly-looking telephoto to go along with it when I am not hand-holding (IS) 

One thing though I hear the breathing is absolutely atrocious, in some tests I've seen pulling focus litterally looks like as if the shooter was pulling both the zoom and focus rings. Is that true, and if so, at any focal length? 

A bit out of topic, but not much, lenses that look good for the S16/BMMCC is relevant I guess. 

On April 30, 2016 at 5:20 AM, Antonis said:

I have recently been shooting a lot of 1080p 60fps on the NX1 and love the extra slow motion room you get from those 60fps when editing in 24fps timeline.

I just wished there was a bit more DR and/or more room for colour grading before the image falls apart.
So it got me wondering what other cameras have a really good 1080p 60fps mode.
What is your go-to camera for some crisp 1080p 60fps goodness?

Edit: here is a 1080p/60fps slo-mo edit:

On the cheap side buy a Blackmagic Micro Camera, only problem is you NEED a monitor. Other options would be C100 mark II, but unless you are doing this professional or want to then such a large purchase imo  doesn't make sense.

Other options are Sony A7s which you can find for about $1500-1800, which would introduce descent dynamic range 11.5-12 and offer excellent low light capabilities.