The elephant in the room. Sony's operating income increased by 72,7%

Ivanhurba

Granted, it's just the last quarter, but it's a stark contrast to the ones Canon had. Really nice seen them nailing it. Specially the offset of compacts and camcorders with better results in high end cameras. I guess at some point the big two will have to take notice of the big fat elephant who just took the 'drink me' potion.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-financial-report-significant-operating-income-increase/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

If only their camera would be as good...

I guess they'll get there eventually :D Right now they're offering features against quality, but it will get better, for example, s.gamut3 vs sgamut.

• Administrators

Sony need to be careful how far they push the prices up.

I think the lens prices in particular are difficult to justify for many people.

And A6300 a much more expensive proposition than the A6000.

They have kept the original RX100 and A6000 for the bargain bins, when really perhaps they should have upgraded them and given us an A6300-type camera as a separate line.

Outfit an A7R II with a couple of decent Sony FE lenses and you're easily looking at $5k+ for a consumer camera.

• Super Members

Yup, Ive thought about that before as well.
A lot of people get excited by the "new Sonys with even more specs", but they sometimes seem to miss the fact that the price went up as well.
So the "bang for buck" argument actually gets weaker with every new model. Same thing in the RX100 line. They haven't "added more", just raised the price accordingly.

Imo Panasonic is the mirrorless company that keeps cost down by releasing the G-model of their GH-cameras.

Advance photography has become an expensive hobby for people with good incomes.  Most soccer moms, regular people, etc. use their smart phones and will not spend over $400 for a camera.  Sony is catering to people with good incomes that is why their equipment is so expensive (esp. lenses) and that is why I hide the credit card statements from my wife.

Pretty soon, having a nice camera will once again be a status symbol.  Right now, Nikon and Canon have destroyed the cachet of owning a camera because the regular people can afford their low end dslrs - those that just leave their dslr on "automatic" and only have the kit lense.  

Its not cool to own a Nikon or a Canon.  But owning something like a blackmagic pocket or a sony.  That's cool for people "in the know".  Sony will continue to make money in their imaging department and it will slowly, once again become a status symbol to own a sony mirrorless camera.

21 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony need to be careful how far they push the prices up.

The only brand that should warry about overpricing their products is Canon,even their APS-C flagship  7D2 cannot shoot 4K,and not provide log ,nor super sampling

Even thier new FF flagship 1DXII using antique codec instead of the XF-AVC

On April 29, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Mattias Burling said:

If only their camera would be as good...

Not as good for you, maybe. Sony having this momentum is not because their customers are idiots. Not everyone is obsessive about log colors or ergonomics.

Now if you replace "camera" with "lens system" I would agree.

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

The sony cameras with SLOG have more dynamic range. They're highly unpopular on this forum though :p

But they are such a pain to work with in SLOG so much noise and constantly having to fix thing in post and cause more problems than it solves. The FS7 at work is a night mare all the time when I get footage back. I had the A7R II and in most modes besides crop 4k the noise level was high in the shadows even at  ISO 500 at a proper exposure, had to over expose by a 1.5 stops. Which then I am losing the dynamic range in the highlights. Yeah they have more dynamic range but at a cost of a noisy image and a lot more work with very little pay off. 

I am really happy for Sony. We need more competitors...we seen what happened when Nikon and Canon were the primary cam companies. They got lazy !

I still feel like Sony has good tech but they are just....missing something from the A7 series which is overhyped imo. I rather them bring back the pro bodies from the sony alpha line like the sony a99 but with some solid video features. Another thing about Sony is that they are overpriced but...people are buying it so I guess it doesn't matter how expensive their stuff are. Really wish Panasonic and Fuji step their game up as well

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

I am really happy for Sony. We need more competitors...we seen what happened when Nikon and Canon were the primary cam companies. They got lazy !

I still feel like Sony has good tech but they are just....missing something from the A7 series which is overhyped imo. I rather them bring back the pro bodies from the sony alpha line like the sony a99 but with some solid video features. Another thing about Sony is that they are overpriced but...people are buying it so I guess it doesn't matter how expensive their stuff are. Really wish Panasonic and Fuji step their game up as well

Sony had it's fare share or disappointments, failed proprietary standards and they hit low on 2012 , since then it looks they've been recovering little by little and trying to get a foot in the market by offering whatever we say in the forums... Slowly and by bleeding us with price, I agree, but at least they're now listening. I'm happy for them for the same reason like you, more players means less cake and more competition. The a7 line is not overhyped, the people were really surprised with the stuff they crammed up in those little bodies and the results in good hands speak for themselves. It's always has been about the hands, regardless of the manufacturer of the camera.

I've been lately having the feeling that Sony is done with their sprint. They stepped into the game for another round, they got their name out there again with the a7 FF line dropping bodies like every other month and reached some kind of sales or status point they set as a milestone. Now that they have a fighting chance, they will slow down to concentrate on the other complains: Resurrect their alpha line for high end pros, fix the lack of lenses and grow from there. The good thing is now we have a great battle ahead; with another global economic slowdown, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and even JVC will have to offer something significant in exchange for our money or we'll probably pass and wait or move somewhere else. Interesting times.

On April 29, 2016 at 5:44 AM, Ivanhurba said:

Granted, it's just the last quarter, but it's a stark contrast to the ones Canon had. Really nice seen them nailing it. Specially the offset of compacts and camcorders with better results in high end cameras. I guess at some point the big two will have to take notice of the big fat elephant who just took the 'drink me' potion.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-sony-financial-report-significant-operating-income-increase/

Sony now includes its medical division in Imaging, Canon, Olympus and others do not. From the report:

"In addition, the medical business, previously included in All Other, is now included in the IP&S segment as a result of a change in the Corporate Executive Officer in charge of the medical business. "

Those numbers don't look all that great next to Canon. But the SAR guy obviously doesn't bother to read the report, he just goes for clickbait. 

They're in the sin bin for me! I bought an RX10 ii, hated using it (thumbs in knots) disliked the image and by the time I went to sell it on it had lost 35% of its value in a few months and they'd announced the sequel.

i can't throw money at that kind of depreciation, so they'll only be 2nd hand purchases from now on! If they're purchased at all that is.

good luck to em though, great innovation.... Just need to sort the colour and menus and not try and squeeze people for an upgrade every 8 months

On 29/04/2016 at 4:57 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Outfit an A7R II with a couple of decent Sony FE lenses and you're easily looking at $5k+ for a consumer camera.

Though in a consumer branding/marketing strategy, I'd argue the A7Rii + native FE lenses is without a doubt the best performance full frame camera system out there (for stills in typical situations).  Best dynamic range, best resolution, and now 14bit raw - the three most important aspects of a camera for stills.  To get close (in image quality terms) to a 5k$ investement in a a7rii and some fe lenses you need the d810 and some otus lenses - a d810 and a single otus is enormous and costs over 2x the price of an a7rii and a couple of loxia lenses.  

The AF argument and durability argument will no doubt be the card most nikon and canon fans pull, when really very few of these guys are actually using these cameras in arduous conditions to warrant the higher level of durability, nor are they shooting motorsports - where the af advantage actually matters.  INFACT, most of these guys to talk out are shooting with the canon or nikon non professional models which have lower shutter count durability and weather sealing properties than the a7 range!  

I know of many professional photographers who now use an a7rii for their personal work, and Phase One for their professional work.  Nikon and Canon dont get a look in because they neither fulfil the needs of true professionals or professional level photographers in their time out.  

For the sake of argument against those who claim nikon and canon have better ergonomics..  if this is the case then fine.  I don;t believe this is the case.  But if out and out image quality is important you should be willing to work around the differences.  A F1 racing team don't send their driver out in a volvo estate with side impact protection system, with lots of leg room and air conditioning do they? - they send the driver out in a dangerously lightweight and uncomfortable tin can that will win races.

Not sure how this is an elephant in the room... Like the other thread, it is just a quarterly, with minimal details to draw any conclusions from.

I imagine that their mobile sensor tech is lumped in with the imaging department too, so it is a little skewed when trying to use it as a baraometer for sales in the cameras we use and discuss here. I do think Sony have set themselves up well for the foreseable though, with a good range of products in exciting areas like mobile tech and VR, as well as strong offerings in the imaging field.

But seriously..... Don't get excited about quartlies, they are useful, but are in no way an accurate way to measure the long term health of a huge company. Apple's quartiles fell for the first time in years, this Q1, whereas Samsung's were up... I don't really think that equates to a huge sea change towards Samsung though... It is just a quarterly.

You see, I have both Sony and Canon stuff at home (TVs, DVD/Blu Ray Players, Cameras, printers, etc.).. So I'm a fan of both... 

For what they are... Sony cameras are technically superior, but at the same time, artistically demented. But they are still pushing the boundaries... How long before they fill in that gap too? Gap meaning the demented part.

Whereas Canon, they keep pushing the same tech. for the next 10 years...

Yes... You can support one company over another... But I just want the most for the least.  Consumers should be the winner in this...

I don't care if it's only the first quarter, if Canon made a profit or not... Fact is... If you are the consumer... You are emptying your pocket to fill their pocket... Why not get the best for the least?

And because Canon is peddling the same tech for 10 years.... I wouldn't be surprised if one day they start asking, "What are we doing wrong?"