Jump to content
DBounce

New Canon 1DX Mkii Footage

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Well, it's one third the price of the C300ii, it also does 4k/60p, and the camera is tiny in comparison. We use the C300ii at work, would love to own one, but this is the closest image you can get without dropping 16k. Having a small hybrid camera is always a good thing. 

The 5D3 is still being used in productions and this is a very upgraded version of that. I imagine the 1DCii will be really popular.

 

I can't see why it would be, Canon already stated that the 1DX MkII is a replacement for the 1DC. So there will be no 1DC MkII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I can't see why it would be, Canon already stated that the 1DX MkII is a replacement for the 1DC. So there will be no 1DC MkII.

What I don't understand is why the 1DC is still more expensive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

What I don't understand is why the 1DC is still more expensive 

Don't know, but apparently the 1DC did not sell as much as Canon had hoped... Maybe because it was basically the same camera as the 1DX MkI but with a few more video features and a few less still camera feature and a huge price markup? In any case, the 1DX Mkii is the best of both worlds. And I for one do like both still and video features in my cameras, and the 1DX Mkii, while not perfect, does seem to check quite a few important boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drives said:

Does anyone have any idea how they are viewing the image on an external monitor as well as using the rear touchscreen LCD at the same time? 

 

Yes, they are using the remote app and controlling and viewing from a tablet. Notice the camera has the wireless module attached (the small grey adapter on the side of the camera).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they are using the remote app and controlling and viewing from a tablet. Notice the camera has the wireless module attached (the small grey adapter on the side of the camera).

Wow that's super cool. 

I'm pretty much stuck with a wide lens with deep DOF using the Ronin-M on my own. Most of the time it isn't the look I want. With the 1DX, it's way more achievable. 

That said, I'm trying to make all my equipment smaller and would rather transfer to a decent pistol grip configuration when it's decent enough. Curious about the X5R. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DBounce said:

Don't know, but apparently the 1DC did not sell as much as Canon had hoped... Maybe because it was basically the same camera as the 1DX MkI but with a few more video features and a few less still camera feature and a huge price markup? In any case, the 1DX Mkii is the best of both worlds. And I for one do like both still and video features in my cameras, and the 1DX Mkii, while not perfect, does seem to check quite a few important boxes.

Agreed. I'm primarily a photographer (80% of my business) and for my video work I'm looking for a camera that makes my life as easy as possible while still delivering a quality image. This camera seems to be just that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, they are using the remote app and controlling and viewing from a tablet. Notice the camera has the wireless module attached (the small grey adapter on the side of the camera).

Is there any way around this that you know of? I'd like to be able to use my monitor and still be able to touch focus on the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drives said:

Is there any way around this that you know of? I'd like to be able to use my monitor and still be able to touch focus on the back.

I don't think using the tablet as a monitor would prevent using the screen on the back of the camera. Also, if using an external monitor in place of a wireless tablet I can see no reason why this would disable the touch screen. In any case my camera will be here tomorrow, so I'll be happy to test out different scenarios. On an interesting note: After comparing some stills that I found online from the 1DX Mkii taken at ISO 12800, to stills taken with my A7Rii @ 10k ISO, I have to say I found the stills from the Canon to be much clearer. I honestly did not expect this. But in all truth I seldom push the Sony to such high ISO... I was however disappointed. I plan to recheck the images tonight and I will be doing testing to compare the two models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

I don't think using the tablet as a monitor would prevent using the screen on the back of the camera. Also, if using an external monitor in place of a wireless tablet I can see no reason why this would disable the touch screen. In any case my camera will be here tomorrow, so I'll be happy to test out different scenarios. On an interesting note: After comparing some stills that I found online from the 1DX Mkii taken at ISO 12800, to stills taken with my A7Rii @ 10k ISO, I have to say I found the stills from the Canon to be much clearer. I honestly did not expect this. But in all truth I seldom push the Sony to such high ISO... I was however disappointed. I plan to recheck the images tonight and I will be doing testing to compare the two models.

Unfortunately I don't have the wi-fi module, so that could be the problem? I just have my SmallHD 502 plugged into the HDMI on the 1DX II. For some reason, the touch screen is disabled once the monitor is plugged in. I've delved into the settings and can't seem to find anything to turn the rear lcd screen back on. Definitely let me know if you have better luck once you receive yours. Stoked to hear that the ISO performance is looking better on the 1DX over the A7. Were the stills RAW or JPGs? On the original 1DX, the high ISO performance was atrocious..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drives said:

Unfortunately I don't have the wi-fi module, so that could be the problem? I just have my SmallHD 502 plugged into the HDMI on the 1DX II. For some reason, the touch screen is disabled once the monitor is plugged in. I've delved into the settings and can't seem to find anything to turn the rear lcd screen back on. Definitely let me know if you have better luck once you receive yours. Stoked to hear that the ISO performance is looking better on the 1DX over the A7. Were the stills RAW or JPGs? On the original 1DX, the high ISO performance was atrocious..

I compared JPG images. Once it comes in I will compare it with the A7Rii at different ISO, using the same lenses and settings. I love my A7Rii for stills, but really expected better performance when pushed. Not that it's bad... 10k ISO is pretty high. I'm now debating weather it will make sense to keep the A7Rii once the Canon arrives. These test will help answer that question. What has your experience been with skin tones on the 1DX Mkii? I've heard reports that Canon have changed their color science, and skin tones are now more yellow. Do you have stills you can post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I compared JPG images. Once it comes in I will compare it with the A7Rii at different ISO, using the same lenses and settings. I love my A7Rii for stills, but really expected better performance when pushed. Not that it's bad... 10k ISO is pretty high. I'm now debating weather it will make sense to keep the A7Rii once the Canon arrives. These test will help answer that question. What has your experience been with skin tones on the 1DX Mkii? I've heard reports that Canon have changed their color science, and skin tones are now more yellow. Do you have stills you can post?

Skin tones and the photos in general are a lot warmer compared to the original 1DX. Here are two RAW files that you can check out: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ymir3nwaa0ppep8/AAAhPOn4_2MpiISegdSq-Re2a?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 2, 2016 at 0:25 PM, jgharding said:

As well as the aforementioned comically giant 8-bit files, every film I've watched so far seems to have clipped flat highlight areas knocking around. It's not the end of the world but it's not that nice when even cheap cameras come with log now. What's the excuse? It costs 4 grand! Sony give you log in a pocket compact. Why make you use an ancient 800mbit codec at 8-bit with no log? Because this doesn't have a "C" on it, so you aren't allowed nice things.

I do start to cringe when the "well it doesn't need it" defensive arguments come out, it reminds me of Mac fanboys who tried to defend the Mac laptop with only one USB slot that doubled as charger. "Well... I DONT NEED IT! I LIKE NOT HAVING IT! ITS A GOOD THING" Yes you do, no you don't and no it's not. You're trying to feel better about being stiffed ;) there's no prizes for It.

And also it has no peaking right, or so I hear?! and I suppose no one needs that either? So a 550D with magic lantern still has a bunch more video features than this?! I'm a canon fan, I have three video cams of theirs. But I'm not a fanboy, and won't cuck it up and pretend that cheaping out on features is somehow generous. It's not, they've really held back on video here quite obviously because it's not C series.

maybe if you're a still+video guy this is a good option. Weddings etc. Shoot stills, roll baked-in 8-bit video. But It all seems a bit ropey for video only use. I can see no reason to drop that kinda cash on it TBH and in hiring terms the C300 mk ii has it beat.

still, each to their own.

It's not a bad camera obviously, but as far as I can see it's just more proof that they're determined to separate stills and video.

Whoa!

This guy prefers the new Canon 1D X ii - than the Sony FS7!

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/05/field-review-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No noise until you hit (8,000 iso) on the new 1D X ii.

That is superior performance than any video camcorder, DSLR and the original Canon 1DX and 1DC.

Only the Sony A7S ii is superior in low light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

a statement from a trusted longterm fs7 documentary shooter saying the image looks better, is a huge one, because the fs7 is fucking gorgeous, even skintones and colourscience (f5/f55 territory).  So i love that. What  am still waiting for, 1DC vs 1DXII image comparison. PLEASE! I just want to own the 1D or just keep the 1Dc if the C-Log and image is generally noticeablly better. I'd love DPAF, 60P, 120P, 14fps stills, but would appreciate Zero sharpening (C Log) higher DR and more filmic image, plus 1080p s35 mode that's soringly sharp and colourful, plus no EU TAX rule time limit. Some body please test both so "d go with one and forget damn cameras for a while. My A camera will be 1D/X + Zucoto Loup + Zoom H4n givong XLRs and phantom power on the hot shoe (and real audio knobs) so not much different from a C100 audio set up on top. I can absolutely focus just fine without peaking so wi'l not bloat the package with an HDMI EVF/Monitor. Just seems like a wonderful kit for video shooting, and the 1dc gives you that s 35 1080p for weddings/docs that the 1dx does not. I do a lot of interviews and documentaries and cards can be a bigissue so having a c300 like 1080p C-log mode is very very handy at very low all-i bitrate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, this is important for me - please tell how many seconds it is possible to record on fast CF card (like sandisk 160mb/s) 50 and 60fps 4k until the buffer is full? If it is at least 10 seconds - it would be great, i have bunch of fast CF cards for my 5d3 with ML and need only short sequences with 4k 60p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kgv5 said:

Guys, this is important for me - please tell how many seconds it is possible to record on fast CF card (like sandisk 160mb/s) 50 and 60fps 4k until the buffer is full? If it is at least 10 seconds - it would be great, i have bunch of fast CF cards for my 5d3 with ML and need only short sequences with 4k 60p.

I have managed to get almost 30 seconds on my 64gb Komputerbay x1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is really great. So it means that there is no need to buy expensive Cfast cards now, can wait for significant price reduction while still using existing CF cards. What about 120fps? No problems with CFs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...