One Lens?

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, jase said:

jm2c: you had a winning combo with the milvus lenses and the NX1. I dont get why you sold them. I read your argument about vimeo, but yet I think you made a loss by selling them, didnt you? GAS striked back again I take.

lol nah I don't think I took a loss selling them. I had your lens at one point of time too and eventually I sold that too. I would've never knew how milvus glass looked if at one point I didn't sell my voigtlanders to get it. Don't get caught up in the name "zeiss", "milvus" etc. there are hella winning combos out there. No one line of lenses are perfect. Right now I am using contax zeiss glass and they have way more character, not nearly as sharp but the DOF & color rendering is amazing. Who knows I might sell it too and get leica r glass in the future. You always have the option of selling If you can afford it why not ? 

@DevonChris the 50 1.2 is soft wide open but by the time you hit f2 its sharp as hell. You mayyyy or may not like the bokeh though. Its off putting to some but I didn't mind it

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

You always have the option of selling If you can afford it why not ? 

Thats for sure! We are kind of searching for the holy grail. And once we found it, we try to trick us self in telling us there is an even better one :D Anyways, cant see your result with the contax glass!

Thank you @jase ! And yeah exactly you trick yourself into thinking there's better glass out there hahhaah. Half the time its not even the fact that the glass is better, there's these small nuances that each lens has that stands out. Between Contrast,color rendering,DOF characteristics etc. , one of these qualities will jump out at you and make you buy a lens...but you already know that I dont have to preach to you lol. 

This is from the zeiss 28mm "hollywood". I'll have more up later today

image.jpeg

I'm struggling with the decision to stay with my AiS set (and maybe add the 50 1.2), build up a Contax set or go all out for Leica R's. I foolishly sold my 35 and 90mm Summicrons about five years ago, and I'm missing them.

Contax glass does rock. I shot this still for a gig last week using a 50mm 1.7 AEJ on a GX8 (using an adaptor, not speedbooster). The lens is amazingly sharp and has great colours as kidzrevil said.

P1020205.png

23 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

lol nah I don't think I took a loss selling them. I had your lens at one point of time too and eventually I sold that too. I would've never knew how milvus glass looked if at one point I didn't sell my voigtlanders to get it. Don't get caught up in the name "zeiss", "milvus" etc. there are hella winning combos out there. No one line of lenses are perfect. Right now I am using contax zeiss glass and they have way more character, not nearly as sharp but the DOF & color rendering is amazing. Who knows I might sell it too and get leica r glass in the future. You always have the option of selling If you can afford it why not ? 

I operated like that for awhile and I just couldn't maintain it. To many times I would end up re-buying a lens I had previously sold to afford a new lens.  When I realized eventually my kit had shrunk and I was just not using my glass, but just constantly evaluating it. Now I've pretty much gone the opposite extreme, I'm not selling anything unless I know I will never want to use the lens again. Slowly building up multiple sets of lenses and "looks".

Im slowly scaling down. 1st step to recovery was to quit buying the "just in case/one day i'll need it" focal lengths that you never use. I had wide angles catching dust lol @Geoff CB

@DevonChris I wouldn't sell the nikkor glass unless you plan on shooting with sony a7 series. That big ass mount you need for nikon lenses can make the camera toooo front heavy imo. For a panny camera I'd keep the nikkor cause of that speedbooster ?

Nice shot btw !

13 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Im slowly scaling down. 1st step to recovery was to quit buying the "just in case/one day i'll need it" focal lengths that you never use. I had wide angles catching dust lol @Geoff CB

I wouldn't sell the nikkor glass unless you plan on shooting with sony a7 series. That big ass mount you need for nikon lenses can make the camera toooo front heavy imo. For a panny camera I'd keep the nikkor cause of that speedbooster ?

Nice shot btw !

Yep. I can't see myself moving to the a7 series as I'm happy with MFT and Nikon bodies.

contax zeiss planar 85mm f1.4

zeiss planar 85mm .jpg

if you guys liked the Hollywood there fast planars are legit. Not as sharp & clinical as the modern zeiss but the microcontrast and distortion/field curvature or whatever creates this 3D effect @mercer @jase 

this is a graded 4k still from the nx1 using the vivid profile. Definitely need to raise the master pedestal to +8 or +15 because the nx1 strangely clips blacks below those levels