One Lens?

mercer

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Another hands raise for the SLR Magic Hyperprime CINE 25mm T0.95.

And yeah, I know the feeling. I probably have way too many myself. But I don't get myself in financial trouble because of it or anything, so honestly I don't really care, atleast I don't collect garden gnomes or tea bags or whatever. I feel like some lenses have such distinct character, that it's hard to deny it a place in your collection. There's always phases I go through that I like some lenses in particular, then I kinda get bored with the look or it doesn't fit the style I'm after and I go with some other ones. But it's always a nice moment of re-discovery to pick one up again. It's like finding some change in a coat's pocket 'ah, I kinda forget about that, woah, cool, what shall I do with it?!'. A lot of people would say: but doesn't the abundance of choice create complications, but I don't think this is the case, I think outspoken projects ask for outspoken lenses. And the other way around... certain optics can inspire a project in itself.

Though, it can be very liberating to shoot with a LX100 and forget about everything else as well. But as a lens is a choice, so is picking up a premium compact camera or the choice to stick with just a 35mm on a project. So I can't really say choice is limiting, I think it's freeing.

That said. If you have a financial struggle with it, that's another thing. With a tight budget it's a good idea to list your priorities and where your money's currently at, if there's too much money in lenses... then selling off a couple will get you new funds for a new camera body, light, sound, rig, etc. True that.

It's not necessarily a financial issue as it is a utilitarian issue. Since I only use the same 5 lenses, all within long wide to normal range, then why do I have a brand new Canon FL 135mm f/3.5 sitting in a box collecting dust?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sure, if it's an option you'd skip anyways, because you're not going to find use for it, then it's: 'so long, suckaahhh! Arrivederci!' ;) and then thát becomes the pocket change... but actual pocket change... 'ooh, I can do some cool stuff with this'. Maybe it motivates you to go on a petit roadtrip for the weekend. Who knows. If the glass doesn't give you that motivation, then let the money. As long as these moments are there... it's pretty useless if it's really not adding anything, yeah.

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Not really, but the SLR Magic definitely is. 

http://3dkraft.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&catid=40&Itemid=2

And not just because I have one in mint condition for sale... ;)

Thanks, but I think I am pretty set on the Voigt. I really like the switch that changes the aperture from clickless to clicked. But I need to sell some stuff and do some more research. 

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

That Voigtlander does look very tasty, damn!

I inherited loads of lenses from my Grandad - kept them in a box for years until I started photography. Unfortunately, I became like you & in the end it becomes an addiction - I had too many & was spoilt for choice. Ended up selling stuff like crazy once I knew what sort of silly money things were going for: 3 Iscoramas (who would have known that they'd be worth stupid money years later!), full set of Contax Zeiss, full set of Nikon ai-s, both Angenieux zooms etc... The list was stupid in the end.

I kinda regret selling some things (Angenieux zooms!) & am now in a pickle about whether to continue with my Super-Takumar set or to go back to Nikon ai-s?

Got a lovely set of Russain glass, which I will not part with for love nor money.

Really loving the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm more than I thought I would - so close to the Angenieux at a snip of the price. 

That sounds like a great collection. I started collecting some Contax Zeiss, but quickly realized they were a little out of my range for a whole set. And thank god I never got into anamorphic.

Which Takumars do you have? I have a few, the 35mm f2, the 24mm f3.5 and a 55mm f2. Awesome lenses.

Since I wrote this post, I found a box in the back of my closet full of Olympus FTL lenses. If you're unfamiliar with then, they were a set of mysterious Olympus M42 lenses that were released right before the OM mount was released. I think they were discontinued in less than a year. They were designed with a clickless aperture. Nice little lenses... Damn. In fact the 28mm f3.5 was the first lens I paid a hundred dollars for. At the times I almost crapped my pants, when I saw I won the auction.

14 hours ago, mercer said:

Which Takumars do you have? I have a few, the 35mm f2, the 24mm f3.5 and a 55mm f2. Awesome lenses.

I've only gone for Super-Takumars, not the SMC ones: 24 f3.5, 35 f3.5 & 55 f1.8 (I had the 1.4, but the 1.8 is just as good & back then it was cheaper). The longer range ones are the pricey ones, or they used to be.

But as i've said, i've curbed my addiction - only 4 anamorphics & 10 lenses left.

Voitglander still sounds nice & the click to clickless aperture - well that might have sold me.

3 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I've only gone for Super-Takumars, not the SMC ones: 24 f3.5, 35 f3.5 & 55 f1.8 (I had the 1.4, but the 1.8 is just as good & back then it was cheaper). The longer range ones are the pricey ones, or they used to be.

But as i've said, i've curbed my addiction - only 4 anamorphics & 10 lenses left.

Voitglander still sounds nice & the click to clickless aperture - well that might have sold me.

Yeah, I only have the Super Takumars too. The 35mm 3.5 is an awesome lens. 

I have to do more research because on BH site say the click/clickless aperture has a switch but I didn't see it in any of the photos, and supposedly it's only on version II. I think@jase has it, maybe he can confirm. If it does indeed have it, then that will be awesome for times when you want to lock your exposure down... As you already know. 

53 minutes ago, mercer said:

I have to do more research because on BH site say the click/clickless aperture has a switch but I didn't see it in any of the photos, and supposedly it's only on version II. I think@jase has it, maybe he can confirm. If it does indeed have it, then that will be awesome for times when you want to lock your exposure down... As you already know. 

Indeed only version II comes with the clickless aperture. Never missed it, though.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I only have the Super Takumars too. The 35mm 3.5 is an awesome lens. 

Love the 35mm, but mostly use it for photography - i've started to use it on the BMPCC with an M42 RJ clone SB. The 28mm f3.5 is meant to be good too & there's also an 85mm f1.9 & 105mm f2.8.

Damn! Gotta stop thinking about lenses!

3 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Love the 35mm, but mostly use it for photography - i've started to use it on the BMPCC with an M42 RJ clone SB. The 28mm f3.5 is meant to be good too & there's also an 85mm f1.9 & 105mm f2.8.

Damn! Gotta stop thinking about lenses!

I have the 35 3.5 but then fell in love with f2 lenses. I patiently waited until I found a good price for the 35mm f2 and then 2 were listed on the same day... One for $90 and the other for $60. So I bought both, hoping one would be a good copy. I immediately fell in love with the lens, so I sold one of them but then the other day a brand new in box was listed for $250 or best offer.  Since mine was a little beat up, I figured I'd throw an offer out there of $150... Sure enough he accepted it. This is the stuff I do and why I have over 50 lenses. 

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

I have the 35 3.5 but then fell in love with f2 lenses. I patiently waited until I found a good price for the 35mm f2 and then 2 were listed on the same day... One for $90 and the other for $60. So I bought both, hoping one would be a good copy. I immediately fell in love with the lens, so I sold one of them but then the other day a brand new in box was listed for $250 or best offer.  Since mine was a little beat up, I figured I'd throw an offer out there of $150... Sure enough he accepted it. This is the stuff I do and why I have over 50 lenses. 

LMAO! Yeah, you've got it bad...

34 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

LMAO! Yeah, you've got it bad...

Yup. At least I can recognize the problem. That's the first step. Now I've been thinking...

What would I do if I only had one lens?

So, I looked at all my footage. Used all my lenses that I love. Then looked at videos online. To be cliche, I watched a bunch of Kendy Ty's videos and thought...

No seriously what if I only had one lens?

Now I know I'll never be such a utilitarian to only have one lens. There's no reason to delude myself, but I think I could narrow it down to 10 or less and if I'm going to do that, I may as well go out with a bang and get a lens I've been admiring for a while... Voigtlander 25mm...

1 hour ago, mercer said:

What would I do if I only had one lens?

I have always been this "only one lens guy". Started with the Voigtländer 25, which happened by chance because i wanted a f0.95 for MFT. Learned to use MF and loved it. Then I wanted more, switched to an A7S with the Canon 35mm 2.0 IS - but the package was too big for me somehow. Now i went back to small via LX100 to RX100. And although i love both of these cameras and the versatility of a zoom lens, i have very mixed feelings. First of all, i absolutely hate fly-by-wire lenses. Full stop, they just suck - focus pulling is not really possible. I have shot many small clips with just that 25mm Voigt and I felt never limited. Nowadays i love to have a zoom but on the same time it makes me lazy and reduces my creativity.

Seriously, the Voigtländer is the perfect lens, wasnt it a tad too big for me. On the other hand the size made it perfect for me. While filming i had both hands on the lens, since the GM1 weights nearly nothing. No need for any stabilisation, it just works. All-in-all, i love those packaged monsters like the RX100 and the LX100, however i do miss my GM1 combo with the Voigtländer. Always keep thinking of it. So much i might just buy it again and maybe this time with the GX80. And then i will never ever open this forum again, because it drives my GAS nuts.

38 minutes ago, jase said:

I have always been this "only one lens guy". Started with the Voigtländer 25, which happened by chance because i wanted a f0.95 for MFT. Learned to use MF and loved it. Then I wanted more, switched to an A7S with the Canon 35mm 2.0 IS - but the package was too big for me somehow. Now i went back to small via LX100 to RX100. And although i love both of these cameras and the versatility of a zoom lens, i have very mixed feelings. First of all, i absolutely hate fly-by-wire lenses. Full stop, they just suck - focus pulling is not really possible. I have shot many small clips with just that 25mm Voigt and I felt never limited. Nowadays i love to have a zoom but on the same time it makes me lazy and reduces my creativity.

Seriously, the Voigtländer is the perfect lens, wasnt it a tad too big for me. On the other hand the size made it perfect for me. While filming i had both hands on the lens, since the GM1 weights nearly nothing. No need for any stabilisation, it just works. All-in-all, i love those packaged monsters like the RX100 and the LX100, however i do miss my GM1 combo with the Voigtländer. Always keep thinking of it. So much i might just buy it again and maybe this time with the GX80. And then i will never ever open this forum again, because it drives my GAS nuts.

From the footage I have seen from that lens and the GH4, it does look like a perfect combo for the GX80/85. That is what I am thinking of using it with. 

On 4/23/2016 at 4:45 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Tell me about it. I'm drowning in unused lenses.

The other factor is that for video, I've finally realized that it's best to have a matched set of lenses in all the major focal lengths, rather than the hodgepodge of different brands and focal lengths knocking around my closet right now. 

I have that lens as well. Great performer.

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Mir-24m 35mm f2

It's been mine for a while now

I've always wondered about that one... Do you have the Nikon mount? If I hadn't had so many issues buying lenses from Russia, I would have probably bought one. 

On April 23, 2016 at 4:29 PM, DevonChris said:

It's easy selling great lenses, but you have to watch out that you don't regret it later on. 

I had 35mm and 90mm Leica R Summicrons from my film photog days that I sold for way more than I paid for them.  Boy do I regret selling those lenses now!

Have been there... I sold my Minolta 35mm 1.8. It's probably my favorite lens I have ever owned, but it just didn't resolve well with the NX500, so I picked up an MD 28mm f2. Great lens, I should have kept both...

Now I have two copies of the 28mm... The MD and a Rokkor-X. I had listed the MD but it didn't sell right away, so now I am retesting and thinking of keeping the MD and selling the Rokkor-X because it's bigger and heavier.