Some question about nx500

Daniel Galli

Hi guys, im looking for a new camera, and i have been watching for nx500 and g7.

i have some question that i cant really find a concrete answers on the topics.

Has been fixed on nx500 the framing problem with 4k video?

whats the deal with the 2.5k mode?

its the bitrate finally increase and work stable?

is there any option to get work and speedboster? (maybe with an m43 adapter idk)

i have been owned an nx2000, and i sell it because the metering mode control the exposure automatically on recording, and there are no option to disable it, only change on the 3 diferent types.

so, in nx500 the metering mode can be desable? or they dont change automatically the exposure on recording?

bye guys, sorry my bad english.

cheers from chile!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

NX500 is no longer in production, its discontinued.

Framing issues? You mean crop in 4k? That is still present aye.

2.5k mode is in experimental phase as far as I am concerned its probably a bit far from being ready to let people install it just yet but do not take my word on it, its being worked on.

Bitrate increase works, its stable if you do it right I can attest as I have tested it myself and the biggest quality increase is seen in the 1080p footage.

Speedbooster is something the manufacturers of the specific adapter brands have to make, with the discontinuation of the NX1 and NX500 I just do not see that happen anytime soon.

NX500 feature M - Manual mode so you have control over the exposure if you set it to the right settings.

NX500 is cheap, its good, it does what you want, the only issue is the fact there is a serious lack of glass for this camera, the adapter selection are all non-electronic so that means no autofocus, stabilisation whatsoever.

If you are looking for good adapters with electronic support and speedboosters you are better off with the G7.

Just keep in mind the G7 cannot touch the NX500 in image quality both stills and video, MFT vs APS-C the NX500 will win hands down for the quality of the stuff it takes and shoots, G7 have mic input, the NX500 does not its a bit tricky to get the mix to work on the NX500 you need the Samsung ext mic for it which uses the active hotshoe on it.

Thanks John for your answer, but i have only 3 question remains.

My nx2000 in manual mode has al exposure control fully manual control except what i said, the metering problem, someone can test it if change te exposure on light changin situation on th e frame even if you are on manual mode?

or if i can disable it.

the nx500 got some s-log, cine like D, cinestyle or something like that?

bye and thanks!

On 25.4.2016 at 3:48 PM, Daniel Galli said:

Thanks John for your answer, but i have only 3 question remains.

My nx2000 in manual mode has al exposure control fully manual control except what i said, the metering problem, someone can test it if change te exposure on light changin situation on th e frame even if you are on manual mode?

or if i can disable it.

the nx500 got some s-log, cine like D, cinestyle or something like that?

bye and thanks!

- On my NX1 there is something called Framing Mode which is an automatic compensation mode also smart range+ does funky stuff with the exposure as well. Remember to turn these completely off unless you actually want to have auto exposure on.

- NX500 can achieve pretty flat profile in video with regular settings, I recommend:

Normal Picture Profile = R1.00 G0.95 B1.00 | -10 Sharpness | -10 Contrast | 16-235 OR 16-255 | Master Pedestal +8 (master pedestal increase or decrease the black levels so with +8 that means you got 9-255 or if you got +15 you got 1-255)

Oh one more thing, I got my NX500 at last but I noticed it does not have master pedestal setting nor does it have luma range like 0-255 and 16-235 which are a shame but I am pretty sure over time the hackers might be able to put them in the camera, maybe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i finally own mi nx500 for 441 dolars, so there no option to change luma range now?

and i update the body and i install the kino seed hack version, i activate the vga to 2.5k, but i dont know how i can record with that.

Bye guys, i appreciate so much this site, i have learned a lot :D!

cheers from chile.