Warning: Do not get Devinchi Resolve for NX1 Native editing.

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Just a heads up, I purchased the pro version of Resolve to unlock the H265 editing. Unfortunately the program does not support the audio stream from the camera, so you will get great looking video, but will not get any audio on your clips!

wow that is really shitty, was gunna grab resolve pro within the next few weeks. thanks for the heads up! so PP is the only alternative option as of now?

7 hours ago, AaronL said:

wow that is really shitty, was gunna grab resolve pro within the next few weeks. thanks for the heads up! so PP is the only alternative option as of now?

Yeah PP is the only alternative. I'm calling their support on monday to ruffle some feathers, really bad to say you support H265 and have the ONLY camera that shoots to it not have audio support. It's a real shame to because the footage looks gorgeous in resolve.

7 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah PP is the only alternative. I'm calling their support on monday to ruffle some feathers, really bad to say you support H265 and have the ONLY camera that shoots to it not have audio support. It's a real shame to because the footage looks gorgeous in resolve.

ya good idea!, is there a notable increase in quality using h.265 over converted files?

Dave Dugdale just said he was having that problem with xavcs in Resolve. He said it was a Windows thing, and that there's a way to like rewrap the files so the audio reads differently and works, but that's essentially the same as transcoding, so defeats the purpose. Are you on Windows?

59 minutes ago, Liam said:

Dave Dugdale just said he was having that problem with xavcs in Resolve. He said it was a Windows thing, and that there's a way to like rewrap the files so the audio reads differently and works, but that's essentially the same as transcoding, so defeats the purpose. Are you on Windows?

I am, link? Maybe this is just a problem with 12.5, I hope that is the case.

A lot I could say here. This has been so since the release of v12 weeks ago and they said they supported h265. I went to support with the no audio bug and they verified it was a bug. I do not know if it is still in the days old v 12.5 beta. I'm on a project and can't update right now.

Yet, I still use resolve for all my nx1 video. I cut it in premiere and round trip to resolve, without audio and then drop the resolve grade into premiere.(lots of videos around how to roundtrip) I do this step because resolve is still not as good for edits as premiere.

All that said I use resolve for all grading because it stands alone as the best grading software at any price.

Does Resolve work better with HEVC in terms of grading than Adobe SpeedGrade does? 

Because I have serious performance issues with SpeedGrade with HEVC I am going to assume its because the HEVC was not properly implemented with SG. I almost found it easier to just grade in After Effects or Photoshop and export a LUT for Premiere and apply it and then do all the smaller adjustments in Premiere itself.

Not totally underrelated but why can’t adobe make a grading interface for premiere that is identical to lightroom or adobe camera raw? Lightroom is multiple times easier to “grade” pictures than anything I have tried in premiere or aftereffect.

If anyone knows of a plugin for premiere that will give me sliders from the “basic” section in lightroom (eg. temp, tint, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, saturation and vibrance) I would pay good money for that plugin.

Does this already exist? This in my opinion is by far the fastest and easiest way to get the look you want. At least 10 times easier than the three way color corrector hell it would even be easier than using a LUT, IMO.

3 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

Not totally underrelated but why can’t adobe make a grading interface for premiere that is identical to lightroom or adobe camera raw? Lightroom is multiple times easier to “grade” pictures than anything I have tried in premiere or aftereffect.

If anyone knows of a plugin for premiere that will give me sliders from the “basic” section in lightroom (eg. temp, tint, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, saturation and vibrance) I would pay good money for that plugin.

Does this already exist? This in my opinion is by far the fastest and easiest way to get the look you want. At least 10 times easier than the three way color corrector hell it would even be easier than using a LUT, IMO.

Yes It's called lumetri? Did you miss that big update?

4 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Does Resolve work better with HEVC in terms of grading than Adobe SpeedGrade does? 

Because I have serious performance issues with SpeedGrade with HEVC I am going to assume its because the HEVC was not properly implemented with SG. I almost found it easier to just grade in After Effects or Photoshop and export a LUT for Premiere and apply it and then do all the smaller adjustments in Premiere itself.

It renders the appropriate color space and performance does seem better, but not significantly so for me.

"Hello, Geoffrey,
I have tested with mp4 with h.265 video stream and an AAC audio stream both at 41KHz and 48KHz. It does not look like we will accept MPEG encoded audio in those formats, so it is possible that off your media has an MPEG, rather than AAC audio then there might be no audio heard in DaVinci Resolve for those clips.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this matter.

Regards,
Dmitry Kitsov
Technical Support Agent
Blackmagic Design Inc. "

Very disappointed in this, why would you say you support H265, and have to pay them a licensing fee to use the codec, then refuse footage from the one camera that shoots in it!

34 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Good for you. For those that shoot on NX1, mainly those that are posting on this forum, it's a relevant negative.

I mean in my system v12.5 doesn't import any H265 footage, not even without audio and I can't find why :(