Adivce on Video Devices Pix E7 vs Smallhd 702 Bright

Clément Gabriel Jolivet

Hi,

i almost finished my Hypergonar 2x setup and bought a Aputure VS2 FineHD thinking that Magic Lantern would output the 2x anamorphic display...And found out that it doesn't (& the VS2FineHD only has a 2.35 mode which is a shame because for the price, this monitor is really good ! I sent a message to the Aputure telling them that they should add it to a future update - adding more anamorphic desqueeze options shouldn't be too hard as they already did one).

So now, i'm thinking of getting a really good monitor for focusing mainly and it seems the 702 bright is the way to go. One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't output the desqueezed signal (at least at the moment), and it's more or less the same price as a Pix E7, which of course has a bunch of recording options too AND outputs the desqueezed signal to any other monitor...

I know they're quite different machines, and being limited to 30fps in 4k will soon be a problem...

2x anamorphics give a ratio so extreme, you have to be really cautious if you want to nail focus. I've seen the 702 also has a remote that can seems to be helpful for one man operating with a shoulder rig for example. I'd like to be able to work alone or with a focus puller sometimes...and would ideally like to be able to send a desqueezed signal to other monitors as well...

Has anyone got any personal experience with those types of setups ? maybe you rent the two ?!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

SoundDevices, and consequently VideoDevices, are built so rugged they'll last you a long time.  Also plenty of hard buttons and functions.  SmallHD makes nice looking products, but they aren't as durable.  Also recording functions, etc.  I own a PIX-E5.

It's a 5" HD screen, which I find just fine for focusing.  It comes with peaking which can be dialed in percentagewise 0-100% (i.e. contrast sensitivity), but I don't really use the peaking. I instead use the touchscreen tapZoom functionality, meaning I can tap and instantly be 2x or 4x where I tapped, while also being able to drag the zoomed area around.  Depends on how fast you like to work.