Bright Tangerine Matte Box or...

Alex T

I really like Bright Tangerine and their series of light-weight Matte Boxes but alas with a price point approaching a grand (here in the UK) they are a tad out of my price range.

I began with looking at some other light-weight solutions - filter holders, shades, lens hoods and eyebrows and found a couple of alternatives. I'm not saying these are more versatile or durable than BT's Matte Box solutions but I thought I'd share none the less 

1. 100mm Lucroit Holder w/ Flags 

2. NiSi 100mm Filter Holder w/ Dinkum Systems Flare (Flag)

What are your thoughts of these two systems and do you have any suggestions?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bright Tangerine are very good...you do get what you pay for.

My recommendation would be to keep an eye out for a second hand chrosziel matte box on ebay - occasionally there are bargains to be had. I grabbed one a couple of year ago for about 100ukp. It is a Chrosziel 411-01, which is a DV camera era clip-on Sunshade with 2x 4x4 filter trays (one rotating). Extremely lightweight and perfect match for most modern DSLR and mid-sized camera setups.

Vocas made some pretty good mattebox/ sunshade clip-on models too, the older (and cheaper) models designed for the DV-cam era are also worth keeping an eye out for - since they were designed for broadcast use, they can take a knock or two.

Yeah was looking at some of the Chroziel (Which I can't help think of Chorizo when I see the spelling) ones earlier. I think they are pretty good and thanks for the suggestion. I'm heavily leaning toward buying one of these though: 

149-637-large.jpg