Cheapest cam with clean 4K/10bit output??

Xavier Plagaro Mussard

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The cheapest cameras that output a clean true 10bit signal are: blackmagoc pockey cinema vamera, and then PAnasoNics GH4. HOWEVER i tested heavily the 10but gh4 quality and it really makes no obvious jump in image quality, just a little tiny difference seen at 400 blow ups, and the pocket already records 12bit internally. Some camera really get a HUGE boost in image quality from going 10bit,the cheapest one is yhe SONY f3 with sLOG upgrade, giving an extraordinary Log 444 10bit image that's really really filmic, but with the gh4 i see no real advantage from just shootinginternally , however some report that 10bit works really well with the Vlog profile which is pretty bad internally (magenta shadows and blocking  which is gone with external 10bit 4:22 recording so it might be a good combo as it gives 12 stops of DR IN good colours ~ProRes HQ to simple SD Cards using the BM video assist ontop. 

On 20 aprile 2016 at 3:23 PM, AaronChicago said:

Yeah, GH4 + VlogL + 10bit external is great in my opinion. If you're shooting any of the other color profiles it probably doesn't make much sense to go 10 bit.

Aaron, I had a super quick test recording V-Log in ProRes on BM Videoassist and I had quite the same results I had internally: super good exterior shots and very noisy internal shots.

The exteriors are so good (and they grade superbly with the LUT you suggested me) that I probably made some mistake in interiors, but I always have noise in shadows with V-Log, while I have good images with "Natura" or CineD: could you please suggest me something to have good shadows indoor? Thank you very much!  

7 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Aaron, I had a super quick test recording V-Log in ProRes on BM Videoassist and I had quite the same results I had internally: super good exterior shots and very noisy internal shots.

The exteriors are so good (and they grade superbly with the LUT you suggested me) that I probably made some mistake in interiors, but I always have noise in shadows with V-Log, while I have good images with "Natura" or CineD: could you please suggest me something to have good shadows indoor? Thank you very much!  

It definitely needs a good source of light. If you're raising the exposure to look brighter than whats actually there it can cause problems. The 4K BMD cameras are the same. FPN can show up if you're boosting the shadows. Alot of us are used to great lowlight cameras (DSLRs, mirrorless) but I feel with V Log and BMD cameras you have to change that mindset and shoot in a more film style approach.

6 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

It definitely needs a good source of light. If you're raising the exposure to look brighter than whats actually there it can cause problems. The 4K BMD cameras are the same. FPN can show up if you're boosting the shadows. Alot of us are used to great lowlight cameras (DSLRs, mirrorless) but I feel with V Log and BMD cameras you have to change that mindset and shoot in a more film style approach.

Thank you very much Aaron!
I'll try my best to shot in the right way: honestly my only experience with log was with Pocket and I had great results, but GH4 is so simple to use (and V-Log in external is just amazing to not use it!!) :)

Just another question, excuse me if I bother you: do you think it could work in the same video using both V-Log in external and "Natural" indoor (of course with color grading)?

All the best and thank you again!