Other Thoughts from NAB 2016 - UPDATED!

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

What's the price for that thing :)?? (I guess I missed that part in the video)

I believe $600. 

57 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Cool. I wonder if they'd be able to make a variable color temp version like the Lightstorm.

I doubt it. I believe there are too few led's, perhaps just one, so that may not work, but who knows. Also of interest, these things are 97 cri. The daylight one may not be as high but again who knows. 

EDIT: btw, none of their lights have a CRI rating lower than 95. So my guess is that they are just doing their best to put this daylight one together while holding to their standard 95 or greater CRI.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I believe $600. 

I doubt it. I believe there are too few led's, perhaps just one, so that may not work, but who knows. Also of interest, these things are 97 cri. The daylight one may not be as high but again who knows. 

For the tungsten Arri's I just like use CTB gels when I need daylight so it's not a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah I'm interested in this too. Especially the brightness. I use Arri 650 and 1k fresnels, but if the CRI is good enough, and it's bright enough, I'd consider switching.

I've been lighting my films with LEDs since Moses was a boy. Believe me, I know what shit light looks like. When I unboxed the Fiilex P180E and lit up the shit on my desk it was an emotional moment. Finally a fucking LED that can do what nature's been doing for eternity! The Aputure H198 I've got isn't quite there, but I think the Aputure guys get it. I reckon they're freaks just like us/me. So I'm gonna grab one of their little fresnels and deathmatch it with the little Fiilex beastie.

I've got a very nice 72W 90CRI vmount Chinese LED panel, but I really need a bit more throw. I had to push the 5D MK3 ML to 6400 ISO in an abandoned rail tunnel. It looks good but there's a big DR hit at such a high ISO. The 120T @ 120w, focusable, vmountable, 1.5k, (I'm betting more like 1k) and $600! sounds like just what I've been looking for.

Problem with bi color and tungsten LEDs is there's a big throw hit. Daylight LEDs always have a bigger throw. You lose some throw when you gel them obviously but every digital sensor I've used loves 5600k, so I tend to take the path of least resistance.

31 minutes ago, squig said:

I've been lighting my films with LEDs since Moses was a boy. Believe me, I know what shit light looks like. When I unboxed the Fiilex P180E and lit up the shit on my desk it was an emotional moment. Finally a fucking LED that can do what nature's been doing for eternity! The Aputure H198 I've got isn't quite there, but I think the Aputure guys get it. I reckon they're freaks just like us/me. So I'm gonna grab one of their little fresnels and deathmatch it with the little Fiilex beastie.

I've got a very nice 72W 90CRI vmount Chinese LED panel, but I really need a bit more throw. I had to push the 5D MK3 ML to 6400 ISO in an abandoned rail tunnel. It looks good but there's a big DR hit at such a high ISO. The 120T @ 120w, focusable, vmountable, 1.5k, (I'm betting more like 1k) and $600! sounds like just what I've been looking for.

Problem with bi color and tungsten LEDs is there's a big throw hit. Daylight LEDs always have a bigger throw. You lose some throw when you gel them obviously but every digital sensor I've used loves 5600k, so I tend to take the path of least resistance.

Please let us know the results of that P180E vs 120T test. Because if it lives up to its claims...120w, 1.5k, focusable, and less expensive than their existing Lightstorm panels? Shut up and take my money!

44 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Please let us know the results of that P180E vs 120T test. Because if it lives up to its claims...120w, 1.5k, focusable, and less expensive than their existing Lightstorm panels? Shut up and take my money!

The P180E is no match for the 120T, it only draws around 30 watts. I'm testing it against one of these suckers, not so much for output but for light quality. But I'll definitely check out the 120T and report back.attachment.jpg

4 hours ago, Cinegain said:

This looks great too btw, gotta ditch my 663/O/P2 for this:

hope they release A5 model too. many people don't need sdi connectors but love to get inexpensive monitor in metal body with connectors in the rear side. 

9 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Maybe, but there's more to filmmaking than cameras. Of course we already know this, but when it comes time to buy the audio unit or light fixture, it's kind of nice to know you already handled it and it was nice. That was my perspective.

Ya. This is the first year none of my friends came with me too. So being a loner all week wasn't fun either 

1 hour ago, squig said:

The P180E is no match for the 120T, it only draws around 30 watts. I'm testing it against one of these suckers, not so much for output but for light quality. But I'll definitely check out the 120T and report back.attachment.jpg

So, this photo is obviously not the 120T, just to be clear. Not trying to be Captain Obvious or anything. This is the LS-C20 and is shipping in September. 

44 minutes ago, Zach Goodwin said:

Yeah, the ringlight is easy to find or even make cheaper...but the reflective 8x8 foot backing material is where most of that $1900 goes on.

It's a super reflective 3M scotchlite type fabric material that reflects about 95% of the light directly back to the source, so when the green or blue light from the ring light hits it - it gets re-directed back into the lens (on same axis) as a shadowless solid green or blue reflection of light, thus giving a clean key for post. you can buy scotchlite reflective fabric, but it always seems to be in smaller rolls, and not easy to patch together into a seamless background. you can also buy paint with similar properties, but needs to be thinned and sprayed properly on a flat surface.

If you got some scotchlite tape and wrapped it around a pole and swung it around, you'd have a lightsaber effect when filming it with a ring light attached to your camera lens (basically same front-projection principle of how they shot the sabres in Star Wars: A New Hope):)

5 hours ago, Zach Goodwin said:

LOL so hard that they have a pic of an EX3 in the B&H photo