Kinefinity hands on at NAB 2016

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Interesting. Most of the Kine owners I've spoken to are pretty happy with the support. Can you expand a little on your experience with them?

At first it was good, they were prompt to answer questions (considering a the 11-14hr time zone delay for me)

But over the last 6 weeks I have had an ongoing case- KineMini in for mount swap, and purchased a KineMax which came with a non-functioning HDMI port. To be fair, this is the very first hardware issue that I have had with my cameras which have been rock solid. I do not find 48+ hour response times acceptable, especially when the camera is over there for service or I have a pressing need on an issue. This also includes a response time of 8 whole days during this inquiry- despite repeated requests for updates as we had a shoot approaching.

I understand that there will be additional time to respond with the time difference (and this is part of what I'm not paying for), but to qualify for amazing support, response times should be no longer than 24 hours.

28 minutes ago, silvertonesx24 said:

At first it was good, they were prompt to answer questions (considering a the 11-14hr time zone delay for me)

But over the last 6 weeks I have had an ongoing case- KineMini in for mount swap, and purchased a KineMax which came with a non-functioning HDMI port. To be fair, this is the very first hardware issue that I have had with my cameras which have been rock solid. I do not find 48+ hour response times acceptable, especially when the camera is over there for service or I have a pressing need on an issue. This also includes a response time of 8 whole days during this inquiry- despite repeated requests for updates as we had a shoot approaching.

I understand that there will be additional time to respond with the time difference (and this is part of what I'm not paying for), but to qualify for amazing support, response times should be no longer than 24 hours.

This is great intel. Thanks silver.

As much as I like these guys, Kinefinity has many unknowns still to me, number 1 being distribution/support.

4 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

This is great intel. Thanks silver.

As much as I like these guys, Kinefinity has many unknowns still to me, number 1 being distribution/support.

I understand that it's part of the lower cost and to be very fair their cameras have been solid for me so far. No crashes, the little bugs there have been have been resolved in firmware updates, and just the one weird HDMI issue on the new one.

I'm not a fan of Blackmagic, but when I had a problem with my Video Assist I was on the phone with advanced tech support in under 10 minutes. They followed up and even though the issue wasn't resolved (high pitched whining sound out of the monitor), they at least provided the kind of support you'd expect from a  company serving professionals.

I have Chinese clients, I've dealt directly with Chinese vendors for products beyond cameras before, so it's also not like I've never dealt with these kinds of language/time/culture barriers and expect unrealistic Genius Bar support. I think Kinefinity has exactly two English-speaking guys working part time for them and if they want to be a serious player in the US that needs to improve.

On 5/5/2016 at 4:54 PM, Elagabalus said:

If you pre-order now, you'll get 6K in June and 5K in July. The ones who have pre-ordered when they were announced will get them in May and June. Just like RED Raven is already shipping, but if you order one now, you'd be lucky to get it in September.

European distributor (hdvideoshop) has confirmed that they won't ship before these dates - so it's not a matter of pre-order queue anymore. They are a little bit late (if its just a couple of weeks its more than acceptable).

EDIT: also the pre-order period has been extended.