Kinefinity hands on at NAB 2016

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
59 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

oh yeah, the Terra form factor is a big plus. will be curious to see the new 5k sensor in action.

920g, 15 stops rolling, 13 stops global, what's not to like? If it's as good in action as it is on paper, the revolution is nigh.

On Monday, May 02, 2016 at 1:57 AM, neosushi said:

Are the cameras already being delayed ? 

I thought shipping dates were

6K: May
5K: June

On their website it says 

6K: June
5K: Jully

Still well ahead of any Blackmagic Design schedule! Haha :-D

25 minutes ago, Elagabalus said:

If you pre-order now, you'll get 6K in June and 5K in July. The ones who have pre-ordered when they were announced will get them in May and June. Just like RED Raven is already shipping, but if you order one now, you'd be lucky to get it in September.

Great, then hopefully we can see some reviews and footage soon. 

2 hours ago, squig said:

920g, 15 stops rolling, 13 stops global, what's not to like? If it's as good in action as it is on paper, the revolution is nigh.

dont get me wrong, i'm eagerly anticipating the 5K Terra. but side by side here I thought the skin tones on the BMD looked more natural than the Kinefinity. which surprised me. maybe it's the grade.

1 hour ago, Kristoferman said:

I watched that video assuming the left side was Ursa given the opinions here that the skin tones look better on the BM. 

I think the ursa skin tones are way too magenta. I prefer the look of the kine.

The UM46K has an overall magenta bias. It really helps with skintones though b/c you can just drag the tint toward green a bit and it looks perfect. For some reason green/yellow bias cameras are harder to get the red/magentas correct in the skin. It's very subtle though in the comparison. Both look great IMO.

1 hour ago, Kristoferman said:

I watched that video assuming the left side was Ursa given the opinions here that the skin tones look better on the BM. 

I think the ursa skin tones are way too magenta. I prefer the look of the kine.

Yeah, I preferred the kine as well. not sure I saw a magenta problem in the ursa. Maybe the kine reminded me of Red colors, like orange skintones, which I've come to like

He also posted single DNG frames for either camera: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mbqjt2g107fyfu/UrsaMini46k_vs_Kinemax%2BLUTs.rar?dl=0

• There's color noise in the shadows of the Kine whereas I can't seem to find any in the Ursa.
  • Highlight roll off appears smoother with the Ursa.
  • Kine is crazy sharp. Could be down to focus, lens, whatever; but the Kine is almost unpleasantly sharp.

7 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

dont get me wrong, i'm eagerly anticipating the 5K Terra. but side by side here I thought the skin tones on the BMD looked more natural than the Kinefinity. which surprised me. maybe it's the grade.

Yeah I liked the Ursa shot better too. The Kine looked a bit Ken doll. But it's nothing definitive.

This must really be a taste thing, because I've seen lots of comments both ways on various forums saying the Kinefinity or the BM had better color. It's not a very definitive comparison; we don't know enough about the settings and conditions to draw any hard and fast conclusions. Also, keep in mind that the 6K sensor only captures the full 16 stops of DR when downsampled. The full 6K has slightly less at 14 stops. 

Personally, I think the Kine color looks a bit richer while the BM is more neutral. Kine has nicer motion, BM has cleaner shadows. Kine has higher resolution, BM has less rolling shutter. 

There's some amazing footage out there from the Kinemax, whereas the 4.6K...it looks good, but has yet to really wow me from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm excited to see what we get from the 5K, as that seems to be the more comparable sensor to the Ursa Mini.

9 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

This must really be a taste thing, because I've seen lots of comments both ways on various forums saying the Kinefinity or the BM had better color. It's not a very definitive comparison; we don't know enough about the settings and conditions to draw any hard and fast conclusions. Also, keep in mind that the 6K sensor only captures the full 16 stops of DR when downsampled. The full 6K has slightly less at 14 stops. 

Personally, I think the Kine color looks a bit richer while the BM is more neutral. Kine has nicer motion, BM has cleaner shadows. Kine has higher resolution, BM has less rolling shutter. 

There's some amazing footage out there from the Kinemax, whereas the 4.6K...it looks good, but has yet to really wow me from an aesthetic standpoint. I'm excited to see what we get from the 5K, as that seems to be the more comparable sensor to the Ursa Mini.

I completely agree with that ! 

Without a baseline I'm not certain what can really be discovered here. If it's color science I think it's a wash either way... and there is no way to establish which is more true to life.  But on the other hand if we are talking about overall image quality,  then I believe the superior resolving power of the Kinefinity is quite evident in this video. For that reason I believe the kinefinity gets the win here. 

That said,  many questions still remain about this company and support in the USA. But perhaps MOST IMPORTANTLY... NONE OF THESE IMAGES ARE FROM THE KINEFINITY TERRA... and a lot can change when the sensor is moved into a much smaller body. Sooooo... this shows nothing of values,  assuming you are considering the new cameras fromantic Kinefinity.

we have had the Kinemax for a few months now. here is a little bit of stock footage shot with it.

i look forward to seeing if the terra 5k can match the quality, as the Kinemax' size is its downside for the kind of work we do.