Kinefinity hands on at NAB 2016

Jonesy Jones

The canon mount have full electronic control, not sure about AF, Nikon mount is purely manual

It can use Sony bpu-30 batteries the same one used on fs5/fs7

For hfr:

5k50p, 4k100p, 3k130p, 2k200p

6k25p, 4k100p, 3k150p, 2k220p

Prores for fullframe capture and raw in windowed 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there. I happen to know that the Kinefinity guys pay attention to us on this forum. If this camera or company is of interest to you, make your voice heard (appropriately). The more discussion we have about these cameras, the better it is for everyone. 

Waves hi! :-)

Please do this:

11 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

I would be so awesome if knefinity did something like the bmpcc, like a small compact camera sized camera with a built in screen and the kineraw colour and codec.

Or even one like the BMD Micro Cinema Camera which doesn't have a screen. I'm fine with that.

59 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I'e been out of the camera world and EOSHD for a while so i'd like to know some stuff about this new intruguing camera. As far as I understand it's a little box like camera with a 6k 14stops chip or 5k 15stops sensor based on user choice but both shsre the same camera body/features? I see it records raw and prodres in all resolutions and to regular SSDs. Is that all correct? Couple of questions: How is it powered, big V-lock needed or is there an internal battery (deal breaker for me)? Does it cave an LCD to change settings/frame the image/focus or just relies on an external monitor? Does it have an in-camera 1080p ProRes when needed? What is the maximum frame rate and cropped or binned from entire frame? Is the supplied Kine to EF mount adapter an active one (powers STM lenses, image stabilization, iris control)? Is the speedbooster they make active and is like the regular kine to EF bt with optics? Des it have internal audio and if so XLRs? 3.5mm in? hEadphone jack? Does it have an SDI&HDMI output? Does it have ND filters? And lastly how adaptable is the kine mount? I can use m42s and nikkors on the EF adapter but since the mount is shorter can I TAKE advantage of it and adapt more glass? Oh and what's thr price for a fully wprking kit (body with a monitor to see and power and an ef mount) and does the only distributor in berlin shop internationallt (Egypt) or just in europe? Sorry i knoW it's a lot of questions but would really appreciate if domeone gave me the in and down of this camera, genuinely thinking of owning one with the SB as a small FF/Vsavision 5k 15stop camera with EF munt!

Kine mount is just a shorter PL mount I believe? Not sure all the options, but in theory should be really adaptable. The electronics for canon glass doesn't work with autofocus, but does work with iris control, not sure about IS.

8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Even just a stripped-down Terra-like body with the innards of the Kinemini 4K for $1500 would kill. Shit, I'd buy two.

It could be priced higher, US$2K or even US$2.5K for the 4K sensor in the Terra body.

A lot of us are really liking the concept of this smaller form factor of the Terra body. If they could squeeze in the 4K sensor into that as well, many of us would be perfectly content with that image. 

And a low low price is what would get many of us to take the plunge on ordering from overseas a camera that is seen by many (unfortunately) as a fringe player. And then the success of that is what will lead to people taking the plunge on ordering the higher value products from Kinefinity.

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Couple of questions: How is it powered, big V-lock needed or is there an internal battery (deal breaker for me)?

(...)

C'mon guys, let's give a hand for this handy Q&A addressed to Ebrahim, the most prolific EOS HD contributor to pair Mattias and obviously Andrew... Here's my small contribution:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/14890/kinefinity-terra-5k-6k-cameras-or-5k-for-under-5k/p1

E :-)

[summary by David (Peterson) aka IronFilm:]

"Terra 6K has the same sensor as KineMAX 6k

Terra 5K: 5K 60FPS, 4K 100FPS, 3K 150FPS, 2K 200FPS

Option of global shutter, native iso 800

15 stops DR with rolling shutter and dual gain mode

13 stops DR with global shutter

RAW 12bit + ProRes 10bit internal recording, KineLog3, 2.5" SSD

About the same size as a 5DIII (weighs less too, only 920grams)

HDMI out with type A connector (big connector), 3.5mm Mic in

SDI and XLR are there as well.

New KINIMON and KINEGRIP 2 has also been released (uses Sony BP-U30 instead of Nikon EN-EL15 batteries).

The 6K version costs slightly more (at around $5,400 US or 34,900 RMB on the Chinese mainland).

It features 6K at up to 25fps, 4K at up to 100 fps and 2K at 225fps.

KineFinity cameras can use standard off the shelf SSDs (like the BMPC4K does), so no need to waste your money on expensive MINI-MAGs like with RED cameras."

Note: 15 stops and global shutter dual option only on Terra 5K.

20 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Also note, users have the option of either V-Lock batteries or Sony mount (BP-U30/BP-U60), which gives you a cheaper option if you're not invested in V-mount batteries already.

We haven't seen closeup details of the grip yet. So dunno if the bigger BP-U60 might squeeze in there.

I hope so.... but strongly doubt it.

I already own a bunch of BP-U60 batteries to power various items of mine: Sony PMW-F3 / BMPCC / Sound Devices 552 

Just now, IronFilm said:

We haven't seen closeup details of the grip yet. So dunno if the bigger BP-U60 might squeeze in there.

I hope so.... but strongly doubt it.

I already own a bunch of BP-U60 batteries to power various items of mine: Sony PMW-F3 / BMPCC / Sound Devices 552 

I thought the back plate had the option of V-mount or Sony BP mount. Or did I screw that up?

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I thought the back plate had the option of V-mount or Sony BP mount. Or did I screw that up?

Really?? I'd be surprised if it does. That really is something I'd notice and remember! As I've got so many BP-U batteries already.

What we do know is the KineGrip v2 will support a BP-U30 (think it runs on it for about an hour ish??? Or something? I forget that detail exactly).

On 4/25/2016 at 11:26 PM, Liam said:

Kine mount is just a shorter PL mount I believe? Not sure all the options, but in theory should be really adaptable. The electronics for canon glass doesn't work with autofocus, but does work with iris control, not sure about IS.

Correct. If you want M42 glass, you have it with EF mount.

I'm not sure about the mount but my camera has a m4/3 sensor mode as well.

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Really?? I'd be surprised if it does. That really is something I'd notice and remember! As I've got so many BP-U batteries already.

What we do know is the KineGrip v2 will support a BP-U30 (think it runs on it for about an hour ish??? Or something? I forget that detail exactly).

Ah, maybe I misunderstood when I read "can be powered by V-mount or Sony batteries." 

Still, BP-U30s are pretty nice as an internal backup(like RED Volts)/low-budget solution. 

On April 25, 2016 at 0:40 AM, IronFilm said:

It could be priced higher, US$2K or even US$2.5K for the 4K sensor in the Terra body.

A lot of us are really liking the concept of this smaller form factor of the Terra body. If they could squeeze in the 4K sensor into that as well, many of us would be perfectly content with that image. 

And a low low price is what would get many of us to take the plunge on ordering from overseas a camera that is seen by many (unfortunately) as a fringe player. And then the success of that is what will lead to people taking the plunge on ordering the higher value products from Kinefinity.

I'd be all over a Terra 4k at $2500 with the EF mount. Pair that with the two Sigma f/1.8 zooms and a small lens for gimbal work, damn...

4 minutes ago, The Chris said:

I'd be all over a Terra 4k at $2500 with the EF mount. Pair that with the two Sigma f/1.8 zooms and a small lens for gimbal work, damn...

Why EF mount? Just get the Kinemount with an EF adapter. Then you have the option of a speed booster (KineEnhancer) or another mount down the line.

If they can price a Terra 4K between $2000 and $2500 and get better U.S. distribution/support, I think they could dominate the low end market. It even provides a great upgrade path, since Kinefinity takes trade-ins and all the same accessories work on the 5K/6K. 

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It even provides a great upgrade path

Yup, this is what Kinefinity should do. Get a very low priced product (US$3K or less, or even under US$2K in an ideal world) that gets Kinefinity's foot in the door and gets people hoping onto that upgrade path onto Kinefinity's higher end cameras (such as Terra 6K or KineMAX).

I bet BMPCC has done huge huge wonders for BMD in getting their name out there, and people adopting their products. (and BMD already had a sub US$3K camera before the BMPCC ever shipped!)

It becomes a much easier upgrade to go from a (hypothetical) Terra 4K to a (hypothetical) newly announced Terra 8K, when you already have the various KineMOUNT adapters / the backs / handle / etc various other accessories, and just need to buy the body itself, and you already have developed a strong confidence in the Kinefinity brand from having used the (hypothetical) Terra 4K so much already. But to leap on a (hypothetical) newly announced Terra 8K from scratch? Hmmm.... that is much harder (and more expensive!) ask for many folks to make the leap of faith to do when there is no local support at all (either official or even unofficial! As there are too few people using it to provide even a local unofficial support network of users).