Kinefinity hands on at NAB 2016

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

There is a funny moment where you can clearly see how the chinese guy is super proud of the camera and feels like all has been said :) 

If the 5K is the one with 15Stops DR I can't see why someone would get the 6K.

I sort of agree. Still, it's hard to make any sort of decision without having seen anything from the 5k version... after all, this is a brand new sensor.

3 minutes ago, Elagabalus said:

Because Terra 6K has the old sensor that was in the KineMax and Terra 5K has the same sensor that Blackmagic use in their 4.6K cameras. Well, not exactly the same, because Blackmagic haid the sensor customized to their wants and needs but anyway. 

Wow do you know this?

Yes it does seem possible that maybe Kinefinity had Fairchild Imaging adjust the LTN4625A for their needs since the specs seem fairly similar, though it does seem adding photosites to go from 4.6k to 5K is surprising and not so easy to do.  It would be great if it was actually a slightly larger sensor given the more photosites.  The 5K does seem like the winner, and at a lower price.  Hopefully they get the color science and readout speed right on it.  I wonder what specifically it is that makes global shutter have less DR, maybe one of the gain amps has to be disabled which would make sense.

While the new Ursa mini improvements sound pretty nice, Kinefinity sure seems to have a more well thought out product with the size and modularity and power consumption and media etc. If they can bake LUTs and do good downscaled recording in camera and don't screw up the sensor they will have a camera for pretty much everyone...

Only thing RED has on them now may be Fool Control electronic focus...

Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there. I happen to know that the Kinefinity guys pay attention to us on this forum. If this camera or company is of interest to you, make your voice heard (appropriately). The more discussion we have about these cameras, the better it is for everyone. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I'e been out of the camera world and EOSHD for a while so i'd like to know some stuff about this new intruguing camera. As far as I understand it's a little box like camera with a 6k 14stops chip or 5k 15stops sensor based on user choice but both shsre the same camera body/features? I see it records raw and prodres in all resolutions and to regular SSDs. Is that all correct? Couple of questions: How is it powered, big V-lock needed or is there an internal battery (deal breaker for me)? Does it cave an LCD to change settings/frame the image/focus or just relies on an external monitor? Does it have an in-camera 1080p ProRes when needed? What is the maximum frame rate and cropped or binned from entire frame? Is the supplied Kine to EF mount adapter an active one (powers STM lenses, image stabilization, iris control)? Is the speedbooster they make active and is like the regular kine to EF bt with optics? Des it have internal audio and if so XLRs? 3.5mm in? hEadphone jack? Does it have an SDI&HDMI output? Does it have ND filters? And lastly how adaptable is the kine mount? I can use m42s and nikkors on the EF adapter but since the mount is shorter can I TAKE advantage of it and adapt more glass? Oh and what's thr price for a fully wprking kit (body with a monitor to see and power and an ef mount) and does the only distributor in berlin shop internationallt (Egypt) or just in europe? Sorry i knoW it's a lot of questions but would really appreciate if domeone gave me the in and down of this camera, genuinely thinking of owning one with the SB as a small FF/Vsavision 5k 15stop camera with EF munt!

48 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I agree. But the rolling shutter was unusable. They told me the 5k is better. I'm expecting good things. 

And natively it should have one more stop of DR than the 6K, so if it's better in RS and cheaper to boot, the 5K sounds like a slam dunk.

6 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I'e been out of the camera world and EOSHD for a while so i'd like to know some stuff about this new intruguing camera. As far as I understand it's a little box like camera with a 6k 14stops chip or 5k 15stops sensor based on user choice but both shsre the same camera body/features? I see it records raw and prodres in all resolutions and to regular SSDs. Is that all correct? Couple of questions: How is it powered, big V-lock needed or is there an internal battery (deal breaker for me)? Does it cave an LCD to change settings/frame the image/focus or just relies on an external monitor? Does it have an in-camera 1080p ProRes when needed? What is the maximum frame rate and cropped or binned from entire frame? Is the supplied Kine to EF mount adapter an active one (powers STM lenses, image stabilization, iris control)? Is the speedbooster they make active and is like the regular kine to EF bt with optics? Des it have internal audio and if so XLRs? 3.5mm in? hEadphone jack? Does it have an SDI&HDMI output? Does it have ND filters? And lastly how adaptable is the kine mount? I can use m42s and nikkors on the EF adapter but since the mount is shorter can I TAKE advantage of it and adapt more glass? Oh and what's thr price for a fully wprking kit (body with a monitor to see and power and an ef mount) and does the only distributor in berlin shop internationallt (Egypt) or just in europe? Sorry i knoW it's a lot of questions but would really appreciate if domeone gave me the in and down of this camera, genuinely thinking of owning one with the SB as a small FF/Vsavision 5k 15stop camera with EF munt!

All this info is in the Kinefinity announcement topic and their website.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
12 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

And natively it should have one more stop of DR than the 6K, so if it's better in RS and cheaper to boot, the 5K sounds like a slam dunk.

All this info is in the Kinefinity announcement topic and their website.

256kb/s internet in a village with an old nokia device , so can barely open this texr-based forum page. If there's a text- form answer to ,my questions please give me a link or an answee (copy paste) in a comment herr. 

30 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Raw and prores - yep, fast ssd's. v mount/ab with kineback, or small sony battery with kinegrip, about 1.5 hours with kinegrip. Small monitor will be available, or use alt monitor, settings changed with dial on side. Yes, in camera prores at all resolutions. Can't remember HFR but pretty impressive, cropped at launch, full frame with firmware update. Don't know about active mount. Internal audio with kineback, yes xlr's. Dual SDI/HDMI output with kineback. No ND's. Kinemount offers ef and nikon and pl. I don't know much about m42, but if it covers frame I don't see why not. Lots of versatility. Body $5K. Kit is $7K (but I think maybe $2K more for everything). That's for the $5K, which is what we are all mostly interested in. Don't know about European distributor. Distribution anywhere is still a big ?.