Blackmagic View Assist 4K records 4K ProRes to SD card for just $895

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

bmd-view-assist-4k.jpg

Blackmagic Design have announced an affordable 4K recorder and 7″ monitor. Unlike the existing solutions on the market, the View Assist 4K records to UHS-2 SD cards and costs under $1k.

Read the full blog post

I knew this was coming. The only question was when. Also, I wonder if they solved the issue with the interlaced and progressive feed, that exists with the Full HD Video Assist. 

Seems like a perfect thing, finally a decent sub $1k 4K recorder/monitor, it's one of the things I wanted to see... though, the Shogun, Odyssey Q7+ and PIX-E5 have a plethora of features. What they need to understand is... a monitor is also supposed to allow the operator to monitor what's going on, that includes histogram, RGB and luminance parade, waveforms, vectorscope, false color, zebras, zoom levels, peaking, crops, LUT & anamorphic support and all that good schtuff. I'm afraid that as a monitor it isn't particularly more interesting than the existing Video Assist. But hey, can't complain too much. Still sounds like a win.

9 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Here's what I think is happening. Blackmagic is definitely working on a new camera, but instead of announcing now and hoping to ship later this year, they'll announce at NAB 2017 and ship immediately.

Maybe IBC show in Amsterdam in september

28 minutes ago, ikola said:

Very nice but hopefully the next generation of camera will introduce some sort of internal 10 bits recording capabilities as well. I don't really enjoy having an extra monitor and cable mess around. It defeats the portability purpose for me.

mirrorless w/Internal 10 bits recording capabilities ? not for a while ! too much heat and battery consumption.
At that price this BMD 10bit recorder/monitor really opens up the doors to a color finesse world
for  mirrorless cameras. 

For over the shoulder use, switch off the screen, click the box as a recorder
 to your belt, where you will also attach a cine-belt style battery, a transmitter (if needed)
and a tiny permanent DC/DC camera battery charger.
(ask Zacuttto to design a quick release hdmi cable/accessory for your camera :)

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Seems like a perfect thing, finally a decent sub $1k 4K recorder/monitor, it's one of the things I wanted to see... though, the Shogun, Odyssey Q7+ and PIX-E5 have a plethora of features. What they need to understand is... a monitor is also supposed to allow the operator to monitor what's going on, that includes histogram, RGB and luminance parade, waveforms, vectorscope, false color, zebras, zoom levels, peaking, crops, LUT & anamorphic support and all that good schtuff. I'm afraid that as a monitor it isn't particularly more interesting than the existing Video Assist. But hey, can't complain too much. Still sounds like a win.

True. But, this will put pressure in the market for under $1K price category to these devices, such as those ones you've mentioned.

I have a 1st gen BMVA and will not buy into the hype with them.

As a dedicated run-and-gun recorder, this may be OK, but as a monitor, this thing is straight awful. It badly needs user-customizable color settings because it just looks horrid and is unusable in a professional cinematography setting. It also eats power like you wouldn't believe making it tough to use even as a wireless directors monitor.

Or waveforms...or false color...or vector scopes...

To compete at this price point, BM needs to step up their monitoring features. Otherwise, it's exactly what I hoped they'd make. The audio inputs are particularly exciting for me, both to augment the poor audio of BM cams and for making Let's Plays without having to sync the commentary later.

Anyone know if they're still using a TN panel in this? Or have they stepped up to IPS for this one?

Anyone know what the battery life is supposed to be like?  The long recording times don't mean much in the field if you go through batteries like crazy.  Then again, maybe we can get an adapter cable for one of those super high capacity USB batteries that will output 12v (Amazon has at least one that is 30,000+ mah).

I hope their implementation of the focus peaking is good.  Focus peaking in camera is better than not having FP, but external on larger screens is often better.