Does anyone here use Fly/Glidecams anymore?

BrorSvensson

4 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Took out my new steadicam solo (bmpcc plus weights) for its first walk around the garden... reviewing the footage,  I thought I must have bought a yacht! 

I had read that it isn't easy but I was quite surprised at just how difficult it is to stop it swaying. And, yes, it does seem to be balanced and it has a drop time of 2s. One thing I did notice during the drop test is that it does develop a spin. Presumably that means that it cannot be balanced.  

It always sways when you pick it up, it's just using the light pinch of the fingers around the gimbal keep it where you want it. It'll come in time with practice. It's some zen like control that develops. Then you starting sprinting with it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Took out my new steadicam solo (bmpcc plus weights) for its first walk around the garden... reviewing the footage,  I thought I must have bought a yacht! 

I had read that it isn't easy but I was quite surprised at just how difficult it is to stop it swaying. And, yes, it does seem to be balanced and it has a drop time of 2s. One thing I did notice during the drop test is that it does develop a spin. Presumably that means that it cannot be balanced.  

39 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

The steady Cam solo is one of the products that I was curious about. What made you choose this model?

Currently I am looking into the following (I have kind of grouped them into two categories);

1.1 Glide Came HD1000/2000 (most likely the 2000) This appears to be the industry goto benchmark product so naturally its high on my list but I still struggle with the price.

1.2 Came-H4. I have been reading about some quality problems with this one witch worries me alot because quality and durability is one of my main requirements. What is everyone's experience with CAM products in terms of quality?

2.1 Steady Cam Solo I am interested in these steady cam/mono pod combos but wonder if they are any good as mono pods or if it is just a gimmicky addon.

2.2 Came-150/200 (most likely the 200) A cheaper alternative to the steady cam but again wonder if the quality/durability is not as good as the steady cam brand.

Unfortunately There is no stores near where I live that has a good selection for me to test them out and I tend to research the hell out of a product before pulling the trigger

What made me chose this model?

i am a hobbyist and do this for fun. The fun is largely in the process - doing it - rather than the product. Realistically, who will watch it anyway so I might as well enjoy just doing it! So, the name "steadicam" was an important factor. I didn't want a copy when I could get the "original".  Possibly irrational but it's an honest answer.

On a more practical level, the monopod option is excellent. I drop the upper section to make a short monopod and it then easily reverts to the "balanced length". Seems to work very well. But let's be honest, a monopod is a stick so how hard can it be? The thing appears to be well made but I have no comparision to make with alternative products.  The screw adjustments make balancing easy (easier?). The mechanism is solid. Lots of weights (I added two to the plate to help balance the very light bmpcc) with two on the wings.

Since my original post a couple of hours ago I've been practising. I'm now on a canal rather than the ocean in a force 6. Patience. I wouldn't like to be doing this if I was relying on my ability to pay the bills...

There's something rather lovely about it - it's physical and intimate and rewarding. Far more so than my BS1 which sort of works (until the battery runs out or now, in my case, the thing just dies).

i was told by cvp (uk) that the solo is discontinued but mine arrived from b&h within  4 days and with no fuss.

Tim

16 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

HVX200! No? What was the DR and bit output on that camera?

edit: looks like hvx200

422. No rolling shutter. Great colors, audio, and a zoom. Reliable. It was good for the time, still gets used a lot in the sports world for ENG style stuff. 

Reporting back. I just picked up the Came H4. It is really light and very easy to setup. I would say that the flycam can do just as well, but there is definitely a huge advantage of having the precision knobs. It takes no time at all to balance which makes it worth the extra cash imo.

4 hours ago, mojo43 said:

Reporting back. I just picked up the Came H4. It is really light and very easy to setup. I would say that the flycam can do just as well, but there is definitely a huge advantage of having the precision knobs. It takes no time at all to balance which makes it worth the extra cash imo.

How dos the latche on the legs work? I have seen videos and pictures with a screw on the bottom and triangle pcs that needs to be twisted out of the way but there appears to be a new model out now that has toggles on each leg.

Also can you comment on the general build quality of the rig? I am really close to pulling the trigger on buying it but would really like to see one in person before I do unfortunately no one sells them near where I live.

They must have changed how they do it because the version I received has a latch per leg. Works like a charm The general build quality seems good, One of the screws is a bit loose, but works well. I didn't get to try mine out either. I can just say that if you are trying to balance quickly, this is eternities better than the flycam.

• 4 months later...
On 4/29/2016 at 6:07 AM, mojo43 said:

@mojo43, Now that you have had some time to live with the Came H4 do you have any more input to report back? do you ever use it or has it settled in your gear closet?

I actually wonder how big the handheld electronic gimbals will become, as more and more cameras have really good built in stabilization. I can see something like a Panasonic/Olympus in some cases do without any other stabilization, and in other cases using glidecams etc. 

5 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

@mojo43, Now that you have had some time to live with the Came H4 do you have any more input to report back? do you ever use it or has it settled in your gear closet?

Sure I used it a lot. Overall it is fantastic because the build quality is fairly high, it is light and so compact for travel and it is extremely quick to setup. Most times when I was re-balancing I was doing it while walking to another site. Oh and it's really nice to be able to put down on the ground as well. I used to set it down so I could shoot with another camera.

But, all that being said, it is nowhere near as good as a gimbal. I just picked up a gimbal (see other thread in forum, 2nd page ish) and it is sooo much easier to fly. I am talking when there is wind, when you are walking fast etc.... The gimbal gives you better shots at a higher percentage. It is a bit less fluid, but the problem is with all non gimbal stabilizers like the came h4 do better with lot's of weight which sucks. The gimbals are ok with little weight from what I have experienced.

I know a gimbal is a bit more money and it's electronic, but a good gimbal is a better rig to have in your bag I think.