Quicktime support for Windows terminated?

Axel

http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call-action-uninstall-quicktime-windows-today/

Obviously many still use QT on Windows although the support by Apple had been poor during the recent years (i.e. no upgrade from obsolete 32-bit QT7). Let's see what comes next. 

EDIT: as of now, there is a lot of rumour, but apparently no reliable source. Trendmicro is a corporation like McAfee, who also warn Mac-users of iWorm. You don't know iWorm? Install Trendmicro's firewall on your Mac, and never make the acquaintance!

So perhaps this is just frightening the horses by some security jerks. 

Or, even better, Apple will finally release QTX for Windows?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

QT was not supported since windows 8. Directly from Apple:

"Please note: QuickTime 7 is for use with Windows Vista or Windows 7. If installed on other versions of Windows, it may not offer full functionality and is unsupported."

I personally don't care about this crappy program anyways but what I am not sure is why davinci resolve hasn't taken any action all these years. How can you pay $1000 for a program that requires another unsupported one? From now on it will affect their sales a lot, so they will have to do something.

Premiere is catching up both with color manipulating abilities & proxy workflow, and After effects as more specific keying and tracking program.

While it is still easier to do these things with Resolve (& even if it is free) I am not going to keep having QT for it. So for now, it is premiere only... 

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

Premiere is catching up both with color manipulating abilities & proxy workflow, and After effects as more specific keying and tracking program.

While it is still easier to do these things with Resolve (& even if it is free) I am not going to keep having QT for it. So for now, it is premiere only... 

But Premiere has the same issue as Resolve - it depends on Apple QuickTime for all its QuickTime (and ProRes) support on Windows. (I read that it's the same for other NLEs such as Edius.)

4 minutes ago, cantsin said:

But Premiere has the same issue as Resolve - it depends on Apple QuickTime for all its QuickTime (and ProRes) support on Windows. (I read that it's the same for other NLEs such as Edius.)

Yeah at least at I have a choice there so I will not be using any quicktime dependent codecs. 

1 minute ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah at least at I have a choice there so I will not be using any quicktime dependent codecs. 

Not following you there - you can also use Resolve without Quicktime.

- But anyway, everyone editing under Windows is now facing massive problems working with ProRes footage (since ProRes has become so ubiquitous that it is now also a major acquisition codec...)

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Can I? I thought it is using it as a default playback engine. I could be wrong but with Resolve if I don't have quicktime installed I cannot see any file. 

Yes, you can. ;-) And no, QuickTime isn't Resolve's playback engine at all. 
Resolve 12 Manual, page 979: "Video Format: [...] The available options depend on whether you have Final Cut Pro and QuickTime installed, and on the operating system you're using".

I wish we as consumers would react more vocally and in unison when the oligarchs play these petty games of taking away their toys. They should compete for market share by innovating rather than denial of services. I am sick of still having to find ways around limitations in all these ecosystems, when I know full well that everything I want to do could be fully supported on one PC, phone, camera, etc if the companies that slogan themselves as trying to change the world stopped trying to slow it down to maximise revenue. Bah humbug:/

Edit: ... and when a camera gets 'hacked', the consumer is telling the company to its face that it has not utilised the full potential of its offering and the response should not be to bury its head in the sand.

And we don't know how exactly this malicious code could be inserted - most likely, by some manipulated .mov file. So it's not really a scenario of concern if the .mov files you're dealing with are the ones which you have recorded/transcoded yourself, but still... It's an unsustainable situation anyway that Quicktime for Windows hasn't been supported for any Windows version past Windows 7 yet all Windows NLEs still rely on the component. 

On 4/15/2016 at 4:39 PM, cantsin said:

Not following you there - you can also use Resolve without Quicktime.

Update after uninstalling QT:

Resolve is not recognizing any video and became useless. Is there a way to configure it to not depend on QT?

Premiere is working as before, other than losing its ability to export most codecs with mov wrapper. Fortunately Cineform, my preferred low compression codec, is working with mov.

I am lucky since I don't have a prores workflow, but this will be a big problem for many people. I just hope camera/recorder/NLE manufacturers learn their lesson and provide an alternative to prores (that nonetheless had to pay in order to use, but only with Mac support) & QT, preferably an industry open standard such as Cineform and not a proprietary codec with no support. As @Hans Punk posted, adobe is working towards that direction. 

• Administrators

Why does Apple do such a bad job of their media player, not just on Windows but on both platforms. Still terrible on a Mac with many unsupported file types, dreadful AVCHD support (throwing error messages when there's no MTS files present to play is something you'd expect from a very early alpha version or school programming project).

Apple is nuts.

The problem is that "player" does not only refer to the QuickTime Player app, but to the playback component that most Windows NLEs (including Premiere, Avid, Edius, AE, Resolve, Vegas) use for loading and playing back .mov files.

(The Trendmicro/CERT advisory is written in such a techie language that most people don't understand its full scope.)