Craft Camera is coming!

Jonesy Jones

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

But if you have no guide track at all with the camera recordings the synching up gets quite a bit more of a hassle. Therefore a regular 3.5mm jack for scratch audio would have been nice. Sure, it works anyway, just saying.

Even just some kind of tone when you hit record that your sound recorder will also pick up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Seems pretty cool, although you really don't need an audio module in a "cinema" setup. Cinema shoots use external sound-- even low-budget student projects like mine. That said, nice to have the option for doc/run and gun shooters.

Except most 'cinema' setups have in-camera scratch-tracks at a minimum, if not Genlock TC as well. Even middling corporate shoots tend to have that these days. Where's the Genlock? 

2 hours ago, richg101 said:

Looks a bit like a 3D Design / product design university student major project to me.    Just looking at those renders makes me weep at how many of the mechanical aspects need to be fulfilled flawlessly.  It's all very well drawing something novel and pretty, but making them is another matter.  That sucker looks like they'd need a Sony R+D budget to pull it off at their expected price.  The reason the RED modularity works is that they price their gear to allow for the tremendous costs associated with making them work properly.  

I hope I'm wrong and they deliver because if they don;t I can see a handful of optimistic early adopters being very disappointed.

I agree. This looks like the modularity that RED wanted, but even RED with their R&D money, and cost of modules couldn't quick get it to work that way.

And what's the go with the price? The website (unless I'm mistaken) tells you nothing about what the eventual price will be. The previous email said 'somewhere between' x and x. IIRC, the higher end of the number was ~$2800. Is that for a 'fully moduled' camera? Or is that just the sensor/single lens module? If so, how much will the other modules be? What is it going to cost to get a semi-workable camera? How do you power the camera without the battery module? How do you record without the Media module? Via SDI/HDMI? What are they outputting? 8-bit signals? 10-bit? 

What's the sensitivity? Base ISO? 

Shooting in a studio won't need an ND?

The last camera I remember seeing 3D renders of before seeing the actual camera pictures, or any footage, is the AJA CION. Whatever happened to that camera?

Some nice 3D renders with nothing that really provides confidence that these guys (or girls?) know what they're doing, or can even deliver a product at all, is a big red flag for me.

Also, by the time this camera comes out (December seems ambitious, based on what we have to go by, not to mention their statement of 'yep, December, totally.. unless it isn't'), we'll be approaching next NAB. You'd want the camera to really deliver, considering what might take place between now and next NAB. 

6 hours ago, mercer said:

4. Why aren't they at NAB? It is expensive to attend a trade show, but the amount of press and investment opportunities outweigh the costs. 

Because they don't have a camera yet. Just 3D renders. And most likely, not the money to attend. The whole thing, including the, 'we really wish you didn't ask for your money back, but I guess if you absolutely have to..' stinks of 'we don't really have the capital to do this properly'

Hence the shifty marketing campaign. Someone with the capital to do it properly isn't deliberately vague and teasey, and releases full camera specs at launch, rather than simply leading with the things that are 100%.

50 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I'm sure that that's what happened to FPS1000. The problem I see is... They make these promises... And they have the knowledge and know how to do it... But then they underestimate the testing, quality control/assurance, government bylaws/standards, etc. 

If you go over to the FPS1000 Kickstarter page... You can see the updates... Telltale signs... Almost like scope creep. 

By the time FPS1000 delivers, something better comes along.

Nonetheless, it's a cool looking camera. I wonder if it can do 4K @ 120fps or just 1080p @ 120fps or worse?

1 hour ago, jax_rox said:

Except most 'cinema' setups have in-camera scratch-tracks at a minimum, if not Genlock TC as well. Even middling corporate shoots tend to have that these days. Where's the Genlock? 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Even just some kind of tone when you hit record that your sound recorder will also pick up. 

I missed that it has zero sound without the XLR module. That's freaking lame. Now I have to buy this overblown sound recorder just to have a scratch track? 

Am I wrong in thinking that the "ND Sled" has to be removed to have no ND? If so, that's ridiculous. The site says two filters, three settings, which would seem that there is no clear/off setting- just filter A, filter B, or A+B: so three settings. Maybe I'm overanalyzing...

The pricing is also just too good to be true, even without full specs being posted. I mean $200 for a rotating metal grip with ten buttons and a d-pad? $200 for (I'm assuming high-quality) preamps, output, headphone jack? It all seems about half of what it should be.

It also seems like this could very easily be some design student's bad joke. There's nothing of substance here, just some slick 3D renders and a nice website.

9 minutes ago, aldolega said:

Am I wrong in thinking that the "ND Sled" has to be removed to have no ND? If so, that's ridiculous. The site says two filters, three settings, which would seem that there is no clear/off setting- just filter A, filter B, or A+B: so three settings. Maybe I'm overanalyzing...

Yeah, the video has the ND sled screwing in to the top... does that mean you have to unscrew it entirely to have no ND?

11 hours ago, DBounce said:

Ok, it looks cool. But those pictures look like renders. Has anyone seen a real camera? Also, 13 stops of dynamic range is not amazing when compared to the competition. Points for the global shutter... if it happens.  Will definitely keep an eye on them to see how things progress.

Yes "13 stops" & global shutter might very well be a repeat of the BMPC4K / UM4K / AJA CION / etc sensor that we've all seen before. If so, count me out!

Just now, Raafi Rivero said:

The 4k version has a Super35 sensor.

Thanks for the head's up - on my browser, the site text was off-center and cropped from one side; all I could see was "Super 16mm" - a glance at the PDF was all i saw as well. They maybe should shout that out a bit (and browser test their site).

I have too much love for the lenses I've been using for two decades now to crop them as severely as super-16 (Or I'd have had a pocket years ago). They sure do rock at Super 35/APS-C though...

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

So 13 stops beating Panasonic, Canon, Sony a7s, Samsung and on par with Blackmagic and Red isnt good enough anymore :)

Im not interested in the camera so far, but 13stops is not one of the reasons.

Really, 12 stops is enough DR for most applications, especially if you light appropriately to your camera, and usable DR is always going to be different to measurable/quoted DR. These days, extra DR is kinda a way of saying 'more filmic IQ', and therefore if you don't have 14+ stops, for some reason it's terrible.

DR can be beneficial with highlight handling, especially in bright sunlight

There's a bunch of things to like about this camera concept, but as has been said, it's not a camera, until it's a camera. Ideas are easy. I thought they'd at least show us some footage from prototypes. Remember the digital bolex announcement? They had put enough of a camera together with like a computer chip in a cereal box to shoot a short film and at least give us a taste. But what is this render only nonsense?

Craft, if you are listening, we're on your side, we're rooting for you, but you are going to have to do a LOT better than that. We need to see a prototype. We need footage. And lot's more info. Hopefully your business model didn't require a bunch of deposits, because if so, I don't think we'll ever hear from you again. But please prove me wrong. If this camera could possibly be a reality you'd be onto something. Lead the way. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jax_rox said:

Really, 12 stops is enough DR for most applications, especially if you light appropriately to your camera, and usable DR is always going to be different to measurable/quoted DR. These days, extra DR is kinda a way of saying 'more filmic IQ', and therefore if you don't have 14+ stops, for some reason it's terrible.

DR can be beneficial with highlight handling, especially in bright sunlight

Yup, 13 is still mind blowingly good imo.
Of course I would like as much as possible but 12 is very good and 13 is beyond good enough.