Craft Camera is coming!

Jonesy Jones

The modules are definitely cool looking, but it looks like most of the time you will need all of the main ones anyway. 

Looks like there isn't even a 3.5mm jack without the audio module. You are always going to need the card module unless its a studio set up.  You will always need the battery module unless youve got annother battery solution which will be bigger anyway.

But I guess its good as an option to be able to get rid of stuff you dont need.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

That is probably the coolest looking camera I've ever seen.

Indeed it does look very nice, and I like the modularity + the price. 

But as with all the fancy designs nowadays, unless I see an actual camera being used in the field from well respected people, there is not going to be any money transaction from my part at least. 

9 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Ok, it looks cool. But those pictures look like renders. Has anyone seen a real camera? Also, 13 stops of dynamic range is not amazing when compared to the competition. Points for the global shutter... if it happens.  Will definitely keep an eye on them to see how things progress.

13 Stops of Dynamic Range at 120fps is actually pretty cool.

Also, the whole Modular Components bits is actually path breaking. I think its a superb idea, and more than anything else, I am dying to know how well it is implemented. 

A lot of people on Facebook were suspicious of the pricing. But, remember the BMPCC was $499 once. If these guys mass purchased similar sensors (maybe with higher frame rates, though), they can easily justify the price. Also, the components keep adding to the price. 

I love what I see. I am dying to get one to use. 

19 minutes ago, MattH said:

The modules are definitely cool looking, but it looks like most of the time you will need all of the main ones anyway. 

Looks like there isn't even a 3.5mm jack without the audio module. You are always going to need the card module unless its a studio set up.  You will always need the battery module unless youve got annother battery solution which will be bigger anyway.

But I guess its good as an option to be able to get rid of stuff you dont need.

Well, the audio module can be excluded if it is not good enough, most of the cameras have horrible audio recording and you are forced to use an external recorded, but the tests from early adopter will show us that, and also the power could be replaced for a gun and run set-up using a battery belt or something similar which can release some weight from the shoulder, it looks very OK and the price looks even better, but we will need a brave early adopter who can show us the real thing in December, hope not to see any aliasing/moire/artifact issues or overheating….

2 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Well, the audio module can be excluded if it is not good enough, most of the cameras have horrible audio recording and you are forced to use an external recorded, but the tests from early adopter will show us that, and also the power could be replaced for a run and gun set-up using a battery belt or something similar which can release some weight from the shoulder, it looks very OK and the price looks even better, but we will need a brave early adopter who can show us the real thing in December, hope not to see any aliasing/moire/artifact issues or overheating….

But if it takes this module to get line level input it's worth it. Buy a nice preamp and record in camera with amazing audio. 

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

But if it takes this module to get line level input it's worth it. Buy a nice preamp and record in camera with amazing audio. 

That is subject to your shooting stile, and the weight of each module, I know what you mean with the pre-amp, I already have that solution implemented in a R1, but a small recorded like a Zoom H1 with a a good shotgun (Sennheiser or equivalent) is a king winner……and it is also showing you the levels, but all this has to be seen with real tests, for example the audio in a R1 is good, with a pre-amp is better, but still not so good like the H1, it's going to be interesting the early days of December….

3 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

They definitely have a lot to prove with execution and image quality, but they get an A for innovation. I really like the ND slide.

ND slide is a winner, the concept is really modern, I liked a lot, this is good news for everybody!!!

2 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

They definitely have a lot to prove with execution and image quality, but they get an A for innovation. I really like the ND slide.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see some actual footage. If they can get around (BMPCC, BMCC) level of DR with a global shutter in both the sensors and execute all of the design features they are showing off well that would really be impressive.

ND slide is a little confusing to me. From the website it looks like there are contacts for electronic control on the bottom. Is that for switching ND strength? Can it be toggled to no ND at all with the ND sled still in? If it can what is the point of the sled being removable? I'm sure we will find out eventually.

Just now, Nikkor said:

I wonder if it's the same sensor as the Blackmagic production camera 4K

Yeah, it will be interesting to see the specific tech specs. They list the 4k sensor as 13 stops, while Blackmagic list the production camera as 12 stops. Companies claims of DR are always to be taken w a grain of salt though.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

I wonder if it's the same sensor as the Blackmagic production camera 4K

I bet right now it is just a drawing:

"WHERE IS ALL THE TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS?

At this time, we are only publishing a few technical specifications. We hope to publish our final manufacture and testing specifications in early summer."

Also when God is involved, you usually end up loosing money:

"SHIPPING IN DECEMBER? REALLY? SERIOUSLY?

Yes, shipping in December. Well sort of. We will be shipping our first units in December. With that said, we cannot guarantee this for your order. A lot of factors will determine your actual ship date including but not limited to the total number of reservations placed and your number in the reservation line. Also, any unforeseen manufacturing shortages, and of course natural disasters and/or acts of God could change things."

:)

They claim a resolution of 4096x2160, which is wider than the BMPC's 4000/2160. My guess (and hope) is that it's a different sensor.

Overall, the camera looks pretty fucking sweet. Fun to have an American camera company in this market. I wonder how the price shakes out once you add recording, LCD, and grip modules. 

It looks cool and could be a winner. Obviously, there are a few issues...

1. This is just a computer render... Not a big deal, but they probably don't even have a prototype yet, so their deadline is VERY ambitious. 

2. The modularity helps to keep the cost down, but most are needed and if not needed all the time, who will ever lighten their load since the multitude of electrical contacts create a lot of situations for damage. Basic SD storage should be made available for the S16 sensor model, so the additional module isn't necessary... For smaller budget projects and to compete with the BMPCC/BMMCC. 

3. The audio module should be an add on for external microphones only. The video and website literature makes no mention of onboard microphone. So, without an onboard microphone you are really forced to buy the audio module even if you intend to synch double sound.

4. Why aren't they at NAB? It is expensive to attend a trade show, but the amount of press and investment opportunities outweigh the costs. 

So, I would be very interested in this if they worked out a 4th configuration between the action model and the HD model, or updated their HD module to include basic SD recording and an onboard microphone. But it's still early so who knows what may happen. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Ok, it looks cool. But those pictures look like renders. Has anyone seen a real camera? Also, 13 stops of dynamic range is not amazing when compared to the competition. Points for the global shutter... if it happens.  Will definitely keep an eye on them to see how things progress.

Actually 13 stops is high for Global Shutter; the Terra5K has 13 stops for Global and 15 for Rolling shutter ! :astonished:

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

13 Stops of Dynamic Range at 120fps is actually pretty cool.
Also, the whole Modular Components bits is actually path breaking. I think its a superb idea, and more than anything else, I am dying to know how well it is implemented. 

And at 120 fps I have to agree that it's cool - and I was against it ! :grin:  But still a possible scam ... 

This is cool, but the more I think about it, it kinda pisses me off! Their whole strategy is mandatory up-selling.

If they implemented an SD slot into the HD module and a record tone so I could synch my audio, then it could be an amazing way for me to grow into a system. 

Also, is the handle needed to record internally? If so, that's some bs too. 

I don't know why nobody has thought or asked this:

1. If it is modular in the manner that it is, how study is it after connecting it the way it is. I hope it doesn't suffer from misalignment, breakage etc. 
2. I wonder how fast the modular connection port transfer is. Since it doesn't have a common motherboard, I am guessing the reliability of ports is far more important here.

I am guessing that the basic camera (that is sold) will have most functions, and the modules will add more, or improve existing features.
Someone mentioned that it won't work without the extra sound module. I am not sure that may be the case. It says, "AUDIO ELEMENT
Your camera "expands its audio capabilities" when you add the Audio Element. Features include 2 mic inputs with phantom power, balanced analog output, and 1/8” stereo headphone jack for monitoring."

Sound quality Improves (due to the preamps), and monitoring is available with the sound module. 

2 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I don't know why nobody has thought or asked this:

1. If it is modular in the manner that it is, how study is it after connecting it the way it is. I hope it doesn't suffer from misalignment, breakage etc. 
2. I wonder how fast the modular connection port transfer is. Since it doesn't have a common motherboard, I am guessing the reliability of ports is far more important here.

I am guessing that the basic camera (that is sold) will have most functions, and the modules will add more, or improve existing features.
Someone mentioned that it won't work without the extra sound module. I am not sure that may be the case. It says, "AUDIO ELEMENT
Your camera "expands its audio capabilities" when you add the Audio Element. Features include 2 mic inputs with phantom power, balanced analog output, and 1/8” stereo headphone jack for monitoring."

Sound quality Improves (due to the preamps), and monitoring is available with the sound module. 

Yes, but they also make it sound like you don't need the power module unless you want to use two batteries. It seems like intentional vagueness.