Craft Camera is coming!

Jonesy Jones

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Exactly, there is nothing that says that this isn't the same case.

Well, you wrote "The Digital Bolex was just two people with a dream." On http://www.digitalbolex.com/about/, it says: "Digital Bolex is joint venture between Bolex International, S.A. and Cinemeridian, Inc., founded in 2011 to develop the Digital Bolex project." The CEOs of Cinemeridian (http://www.ienso.com/cinemeridian) are not the two people you are referring to. And Bolex International S.A. is a Swiss company.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
4 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Well, you wrote "The Digital Bolex was just two people with a dream." On http://www.digitalbolex.com/about/, it says: "Digital Bolex is joint venture between Bolex International, S.A. and Cinemeridian, Inc., founded in 2011 to develop the Digital Bolex project." The CEOs of Cinemeridian (http://www.ienso.com/cinemeridian) are not the two people you are referring to. And Bolex International S.A. is a Swiss company.

I know all that, but that page did not exists two days before the launch of Digital Bolex on Kickstarter.
Its like me saying "look at canon.com, thats how they started".

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Exactly, there is nothing that says that this isn't the same case.
We will have to wait, and I suspect thats the whole idea behind the campaign, they know people hate to wait.

Yeah, people hate waiting, so therefore on monday they'll deposit money like ecstatic fanboys from reduser.net or blackmagic.net ! Right ...
And as the danish Philosopher Kierkegaard said : "The joy of anticipation is often the biggest !" .  He must have seen the Marx brothers ...

Face again.jpg

PS : Did no one read my previous want-to-believe-post ?Here's the funny part of it ..

Perhaps it will interest You to know that the SAME EMAIL only for EOSHD has been sent to REDUSER.NET ? 
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?143452-New-Camera-called-Craft/page3&highlight=craftcamera

How's that funny? That was sent to each individual signing up to their newsletter all these months ago.

And still stand by the fact that reservations will help with gauging interest. Like the reservations for the new Tesla Model 3, which also is refundable or to be used on a final sale. With how quickly they fill the reservation list, they can estimate if production can keep up... or maybe if there is too little interest to maybe rethink things...

I'd like to request, if I may, an end to the negative back and forth. It's completely fruitless and I just don't understand it. 

The Craft camera has a ton of unknowns. We all understand that. No one is putting $500 down right now. It's possible that changes on Monday, but we won't know until then. And until then some of us are speculating as to what could be announced and are counting our blessings for living during a time where so many great opportunities are available. But no one is suggesting that anyone should buy this camera or put a deposit down. The Craft camera could be great, it could be a dud. None of us knows, but we should know more on Monday.

I think EVERYONE on this forum has an interest in moving their filmmaking careers forward as well as their tools, and we enjoy the input from other filmmakers that help will both of those. With that said, we don't need 'yes men' and a thumbs up on everything, and the other extreme is just as pointless. If you have something critical to say, we WANT to hear it. Just not with the 'I'm smart you're dumb' or 'company x is so stupid' tone. So, please give us your thoughts, critical or otherwise, and please do so in a way that adds to the community, not subtracts. 

NAB 2016 is just around the corner. There is going to be an overwhelming amount of new info on new gear. I respect the perspective of everyone on this forum, and am relying on all of you to help me successfully sort it all out. And I will do my best to help you as well.

Whatever mailing list or people believe, I think it is still best criticised & described by HelsinkiZim :

16 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

For a laugh, i'll break down this email from a salesman's/ executive producer's point of view.

"Greetings!
- denotes all times of day and suggests something festive is entailed.

Yes, we actually exist and have a voice.
- you don't know who we are but you did at some point, but you have forgotten.

We are incredibly grateful and humbled by all the support.
- OK, even if you don't remember us, everyone else does. (Classic 'humblebrag').

And because of that, we are only sharing the following email to you—our early adopter email list.
- FYI, you are special and unique and part of a private club who got in first. Aren't you lucky?

We have looked forward to sending this email for months. You should know that we will not publish this anywhere else. That means you are the first to know.
- you owe us your attention because we have invested a lot of time on this product exclusively for your benefit, and you have such a unique opportunity here because we haven't told the world about it yet because you are our favorite person. When we tell everyone, we can't make any promises on your VIP status.

I bet many of you have wondered, “What’s the deal with Craft?" There has been an outpouring of interest for Craft from all over the world and from all walks of life—from Hollywood, indies, corporate marketing departments, agencies, and amateurs. They have reached out by the thousands trying to figure out what we are working on.
- (more humblebrag) My lord, have you been missing out!

For over a year, we have been developing the Craft Camera—a new system that we believe will help users tell better stories.
- we have developed a system to make you a creative genius, you are a craftsman and we are called Craft, geddit?

On April 18th around 12pm EST, we will announce Craft Camera on craftcamera.com. This announcement will include initial information, a first glimpse of the Craft Camera, and we will start taking initial reservations.
- Sshhh, listen, here are some hard facts. We are committing to a time and place for one time only. We will blow you away with a few seconds of footage and allow you to give us your credit card details, BUT only if you are on time and in the right place.

Since Craft Camera is still in development, we won’t be releasing every single detail because we hope to get feedback from reservation holders before we publish final details.
- in case you aren't impressed, don't worry, you haven't been given all the information and glimpses yet, be patient and get in line anyways. We will figure this spec stuff out eventually once we receive enough complaints to warrant changes.

A reservation will require a $500 deposit, your name, email, and phone number. Reservations will only be available on craftcamea.com and will be 100% refundable. Your deposit will be deducted from the total price once you place an order at a later date.
- (classic close) Absolutely no risk involved. But wait there's more...

As a reservation holder, you will also receive a 10% discount off your final order along with some additional perks like first looks, priority reservations on future products and a few other surprises.
- (classic time sensitive bonuses)

Please note we are offering a limited number of reservations which is why we wanted you to know about this first. This means when we hit our limit we will stop taking reservations. No exceptions. The reservations are first come first serve and when the cameras ship, we will do so in the order that the reservation was placed. 
- remember, this deal is exclusive to you and time sensitive. This is urgent!

The Craft Camera comes in 2 models. There are 4K and HD models with a price range between $699 and $2899 depending on the configuration. Initial units will ship late 2016.
- (actual information, vague, but actual information). Comforting because facts make you feel good, right? But not to many or you will commit from informed deliberation rather than impulse, which is not cool for us.

I will leave you with this—we believe there is a huge need for Craft Camera. We believe it is a revolutionary product that will give production alums a great tool to do things they couldn’t do before while opening up storytelling through motion pictures to a whole new generation.
- (rehash of making you a creative genius theme) You will have an advantage amongst your peers. You will be Spielberg, or maybe Jim Jarmusch... at the very least.

With that said, we understand Craft Camera might not be for you and...we are fine with that! We will still treat you with respect and we hope the same from you.
- seriously, no pressure.

I am truly humbled by all the support, and I hope you become a part of the Craft family.
- (humblebrag,) we have heritage and will be around forever.

Keep telling beautiful stories.
- we are on your side, you artist you *pinches cheek*. Monies? What's that?

Scott Brag(g)
- Mr. S. Humble...

Founder of Craft Digital Systems Inc. "
- the absolute boss and the ducks nuts.

That was fun (for me). Having sold stuff from Kirby vacuum cleaners to tvc airtime, its a trip down memory lane. I wouldn't touch this kit with a ten foot pole. A bit too sleazy for me.

If it's a young company then I would ditch the bullet-benefit-close-bonus approach and just talk about the things you are trying to solve for your target demographic. Visuals, ergonomics, mobility, compatibility... etc. (even if its just your intentions, with no hard specs to announce)

*********************************************************************************************

14 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

And until then some of us are speculating as to what could be announced and are counting our blessings for living during a time where so many great opportunities are available

Yes, so many blessings ... but only if You have a Panamanian account and moved it before things got exposed !!! :grin: (Joking, maybe we're all poor ?) 

It feels a bit like kickstarter way of gathering feedback and market research to me. $500 reservation is not that much for their 4k model, and the amount of reservation and the feedback from the forums can reflect how the market may react to their final product. They just need to ask for that $500 on monday, not in this email.

I hope there will be some solid specs coming out, but somehow I have a feeling that it will look like a Terra 5K or Axiom. Curious curious curious :dizzy:

They had a silly little rendered image on the site before:

tB58VFh.jpg

... so yeah, it seems they're really willing to go with that cinema camera formfactor: sensor in a box á la RED, ARRI Mini, Terra, Axiom indeed. Or even BMMCC.

Could still be a final degree project of some students trying to see how people react to something like this... :grin: but I'm willing to consider the fact that this might just be legit.

I don't neccessarily need 4K, but I do appreciate 2K and some wiggle room overscale. Say the BMCC 2.5K but then in BMMCC formfactor (why is this not a thing yet anyways?!!). I'd love it if everything is generic and non-propriatary. It being affordable and 4K... I think they must've gone with the MFT mount and 4/3" sensor. Just maybe APS-C. Sure would be nice if it did GoPro-like resolutions/framerates (4K up to 30p, 2.7K at 60p, 1440p at 80fps, 1080p at 120fps and 720p at 240fps). Global shutter would be incroyable... therefor I really don't think so. Boooh! Yeah, built-in NDs not going to happen either. LOG sounds feasible enough; even the Z Camera E1 has got Z-Log. RAW or ProRes a bit far fetched, although I guess, that's what a digital cinema cameras should really be all about... the Blackmagic Pocket and Micro got the message. Maybe in the pricey one. Storage... maybe just generic SSDs or that new M2-type storage perhaps. Good audio interface. User-programmable buttons and dials everywhere. Box/body accessoires. Basically it should almost be like a cage, able to mount stuff all over it; rails, arms, attachments, grips/handles... some provided by them as options, but the main idea: you can mount your own accessoires, be it EVF, monitor/recorder wherever the heck you like. If it turns out to be somewhat of a crossover between the Terra and the BMCC2.5K, I might just be down for something like that.

12 more (or 13 hours) to go, this is going to be exciting ! I'll bet an Ice-cream on it's a legitimate company with a forgettable strategy ...
At least it's cheaper than Raven and I get a free bonus in the SM-club ! :grin:  Plus a freee 1-cent donation for the politically incorrect ($)

On April 18th around 12pm EST, we will announce Craft Camera on craftcamera.com. 

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

more like 5 hours to go.

Really ?  You see Denmark use 24 hours; not AM/PM - and how many timezones has US ?
24:00 may be more military-like, but we avoid mistaking "AM-meetings" for "PM-meetings" !
:glasses:   At least we keep the thread active ...  and up front !:grin:

Just have AA-meetings instead. :grimace:

But yeah, that's a pretty messed up system. But as 00:01 is 12AM and 12:01 is 12PM... there's more to say for 12PM being 12:00 noon. We should all talk in 24HR format and zulu time. EST, CST, PST (pretty sure noone gives a damn about MST, sorry) great... now I need to google...

They are obviously a company. I didn't have time to go through with the registrations of Patents filed, but this did turn up. 

If I had a few hours, I could have found out all the Patents they registered. But, anyways, here (TM Only):

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/21/craft-86821428.html

And, this very strange looking design (which I am guessing they have Abandones completely by now). 

12191640_1233602446656032_7398608191897653825_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Just have AA-meetings instead. :grimace:

But yeah, that's a pretty messed up system. But as 00:01 is 12AM and 12:01 is 12PM... there's more to say for 12PM being 12:00 noon. We should all talk in 24HR format and zulu time. EST, CST, PST (pretty sure noone gives a damn about MST, sorry) great... now I need to google...

Correct but its actually the next day 1 nanosecond after midnight (or whatever is the smallest time period you can measure) You don't have to wait a minute.  The first second of the day is 00:00:00 or 12:00:00 AM.