Craft Camera is coming!

Jonesy Jones

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's sad how we deep down want a saviour; either in the next WonderWoman/Scrooge McDuck or in the shape of the next PERFECT
Graphics-card, the next PERFECT child or saddest of all :    The dream-makers dream of the next PERFECT DREAM-MACHINE ...

"We want to believe in the CHEAP RED (even RED knows to use this !) & the PROMISED BLACKMAGIC !  (Unintended dirty )"

1 hour ago, HelsinkiZim said:

That was fun (for me). Having sold stuff from Kirby vacuum cleaners to tvc airtime, its a trip down memory lane. I wouldn't touch this kit with a ten foot pole. A bit too sleazy for me.

100%. It's too sleazy sales for me. Feels too Wolf of Wall Street 'I have here a unique opportunity'.

Or it could be a cardboard box with a pin hole.

Remember....developing a camera is not a simple thing, and developing one that pushes the envelope is even harder.

What are the odds that some guy working out of his basement (or where ever) is going to be able to do that from scratch? If it was that easy we would be swamped by such cameras, and we are not. Even those with decades of experience making cameras cannot. So, what are the odds?

I would suggest not holding your breath, and under no circumstances send any money until there actually is a real working product to be had.

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The topic here is a bit lost. 

What are we predicting with the Craft Camera? 

I'll say it might be a "build your camera" approach with the Apertus Axiom concept, but with locked firmware. 

I have been trying to figure this out too. What could a new competitor bring to the table that hasn't already been done? Your idea is the only one I can think of. But honestly, if the image is super and the camera reliable, I don't need any new tricks. Also, I kind of wish they would have said there was a 4K and a '2K' instead of 'HD'. 

44 minutes ago, tugela said:

What are the odds that some guy working out of his basement (or where ever) is going to be able to do that from scratch? If it was that easy we would be swamped by such cameras, and we are not. Even those with decades of experience making cameras cannot. So, what are the odds?

Yah, the nerve of guys like Steve Jobs and Woz. Idiots!

20 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I have been trying to figure this out too. What could a new competitor bring to the table that hasn't already been done? Your idea is the only one I can think of. But honestly, if the image is super and the camera reliable, I don't need any new tricks. Also, I kind of wish they would have said there was a 4K and a '2K' instead of 'HD'. 

Yah, the nerve of guys like Steve Jobs and Woz. Idiots!

Don't oversimplify what Wozniak did then with what is available now... If I told you to build a dog house now... You can do that in your garage, in the same respect if I told you to build a skyscraper, can you do that in your garage? Wozniak's computer was a dog house compared to the iPhone that I'm typing this on now.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Who says its someone without experience, they could all be Samsung drop outs for all we know.

The Digital Bolex was just two people with a dream. One had built a photoboth. And that camera is imo one of the top tier cinema cameras out there.

Might be so; but we know 1 thing for sure : They haven't hired any sensible marketing-strategist or PR-campaignist !!! :grin::grin::grin:
(Then they would have given customers foretastes, pictures, specs etc. to awaken appetite instead of giving rise to scepticism ...)

Party.jpg

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, TVDino said:

Might be so; but we know 1 thing for sure : They haven't hired any sensible marketing-strategist or PR-campaignist !!! :grin::grin::grin:
(Then they would have given customers some foretastes, pictures, specs etc. to awaken appetite instead of scepticism ...)
Party.jpg

Well, Red bans forum users and I dont have to mention Blackmagic.

As an expert in the subject I can say, there are more media strategies than one. There are thousands. I would be very surpriced if thet didnt have a reason for doing what they do. Time will tell if its good or bad.

26 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Well, Red bans forum users and I dont have to mention Blackmagic.

As an expert in the subject I can say, there are more media strategies than one. There are thousands. I would be very surpriced if thet didnt have a reason for doing what they do. Time will tell if its good or bad.

Sure, there's more than one strategy, but don't You find it rather stupid to BEGIN with the "FUD-publicity-is-better-than-none-strategy" ?

Claus.jpg

• Super Members
1 minute ago, TVDino said:

Sure, there's more than one strategy, but don't You find it rather stupid to BEGIN with the "FUD-publicity-is-better-than-none-strategy" ?

Claus.jpg

You dont know their plan = you dont know if its good or bad.

The only thing that will measure the effect of their comunication is the cash left after expenses on the company's account. We can only wait and see.

To most eyes Blackmagics comunication is strange. Goes against most PR practice and theory. Still they are doing allright both among amateurs and Hollywood. And their users swear by the quality. 

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

You dont know their plan = you dont know if its good or bad.

The only thing that will measure the effect of their comunication is the cash left after expenses on the company's account. We can only wait and see.

To most eyes Blackmagics comunication is strange. Goes against most PR practice and theory. Still they are doing allright both among amateurs and Hollywood. And their users swear by the quality. 

But when people use FUD - Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt - as strategy before launching the products, in a campaign aimed at customers to place deposits
I find it is like shooting Yourself in the foot .   I bet this will turn many more away, than attract some - don't You agree that it looks "Nigeriean-style" ?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, TVDino said:

But when people use FUD - Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt - as strategy before launching the products, in a campaign aimed at customers to place deposits
I find it is like shooting Yourself in the foot .   I bet this will turn many more away, than attract some - don't You agree that it looks "Nigeriean-style" ?

They say from the beginning that you will get the info you need on monday. No one is forcing anyone to pay anything.

No I dont agree that all Nigerian companies are chriminal.

We will know in a years time if they have made money. Then we know if it was a smart move.

I think the marketing campaign is working. People are wagging their tongues and fingertips about this mystery newcomer.

Even though a lot of the discussions are harshly negative, the talk is still going on and people seem frustrated that they don't know what the product is. The irritation comes from a need for information. 

I love having new makers of camera around to rustle a few feathers. Everybody deserves a chance. Judge when the product is in your own hands. 

32 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I think the marketing campaign is working. People are wagging their tongues and fingertips about this mystery newcomer.

Even though a lot of the discussions are harshly negative, the talk is still going on and people seem frustrated that they don't know what the product is. The irritation comes from a need for information. 

I love having new makers of camera around to rustle a few feathers. Everybody deserves a chance. Judge when the product is in your own hands. 

But if they don't live up to the expectations it will backfire.

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Yup, its not even that extreme.

In the 80s a company started to advertise like crazy is sweden with just 4 random letters. Didnt even tell what undustry it was. Could have been a restaurant, shoes, you name it. Turned out to be a line of cruise ships.

That campain is still refered to in marketing today as a success.

2 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

But if they don't live up to the expectations it will backfire.

So does every other campaign on the planet. Nothing uniqe for this strategy.

While others will maintain the world is ROUND ... :glasses:  If it's too good to be true ... (it's a $ 6.000 Raven or CraftCamera ?)

Perhaps it will interest You to know that the SAME EMAIL only for EOSHD has been sent to REDUSER.NET:grin:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?143452-New-Camera-called-Craft/page3&highlight=craftcamera 

14 hours ago, TVDino said:

"Hmmm, If I was only mailing to potential buyer-groups, I do not want ANY speculation about my business !
They surely must know this would happen and COULD have provided some photographs or more specs ...
OK to keep secretive, but this is an exaggeration and a VERY "shady" sign !  Also I checked jcs' link :
http://petapixel.com/2013/02/25/craft-camera-a-diy-digital-camera-made-with-cardboard-and-arduino/
and it leads to an interesting web-address http://craft-camera.com/ ... much like http://www.craftcamera.com/"

We want to believe in the CHEAP RED (even RED knows to use this !) & the PROMISED BLACKMAGIC !  (Unintended dirty :blush:)82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

NB : Actually the want-to-believe-joke's dirtiness with CHEAP RED (Dana Sculley) and PROMISED BLACKMAGIC (Fox Mulder) gets
UNINTENTIONALLY again
(I swear !) even dirtier, when You read the name of this thread :   "Craft Camera is coming!"  :cold_sweat: :blush: :grin:

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The Digital Bolex was just two people with a dream. One had built a photoboth. And that camera is imo one of the top tier cinema cameras out there.

Well, that's the marketing story. In reality, a bigger company (Ienso/Cinemeridian, http://www.digitalcameradesign.com/) had been behind the project from its very beginning.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Well, that's the marketing story. In reality, a bigger company (Ienso/Cinemeridian, http://www.digitalcameradesign.com/) had been behind the project from its very beginning.

Exactly, there is nothing that says that this isn't the same case.
We will have to wait, and I suspect thats the whole idea behind the campaign, they know people hate to wait.