What is the truth about RED's and BLACK's cameras ?

TVDino

To B or not to B ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What would You recommend me to do if there was a free choice ?

• Buy the Raven Package - it is better than the competition or ?
    • Buy the Ursa Mini 4,6K - it is better than the competition or ?
    • Buy a third camera - tell me how many bits, formats and so on
    • Buy an old RED or an old BLACKMAGIC - but tell me why ...
    • Rent the stupid bl.... equipment and stop debting Yourself !
    • Balance good equipment with postproduction-stuff like 980TI !

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

TV Dino, the Odyssey 7Q and 7Q+ record s35 4K raw upto 60fps (continuous) and 120fps in 4 second bursts. It can also take the raw signal and convert to ProRes, which also looks great.

You need to make sure the Fs700 has been upgraded to allow raw via the HD-SDI, but otherwise it is fairly small and cheap way to get some very high end features. I have seen FS700/O7q combos for $6K or so... I really think it is a better deal than a used Scarlet, but depends on your workflow, image tastes etc.

Even just having ND filters is a massive plus, for me... E mount is great... Low light good... Checks alot of boxes

Great ... Guess it is the 4 K RAW defined as 4096 x 2160 ?  Or does it transfer 4K RAW as 3840 pixels × 2160 (UHD ratio 16:9)
Then I have to post-process this into 2,4:1 = 4096 x 1708 ... IF I want a wide cinemaformat .  It's not inherent anywhere ...

As I understand it the NEX-FS700 does not need the HXR-IFR5 Interface Unit for transmitting 4K raw to Odyssey 7 Q/Q+, right ?

There's no ND filters in Scarlet/Epic ?   But I read they have "selectable" mount ?   What about THEIR low light ?

36 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I saw no moire at all while shooting 4K on the FS700.

My mistake, I was referring to the Canon 1DX-II-suggestion from Jimmy and the cameras got mixed up in the postings !
However there seems to be some rolling shutter-problems in normal recording ... https://vimeo.com/40505132

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, TVDino said:

Great ... Guess it is the 4 K RAW defined as 4096 x 2160 ?  Or does it transfer 4K RAW as 3840 pixels × 2160 (UHD ratio 16:9)
Then I have to post-process this into 2,4:1 = 4096 x 1708 ... IF I want a wide cinemaformat .  It's not inherent anywhere ...

As I understand it the NEX-FS700 does not need the HXR-IFR5 Interface Unit for transmitting 4K raw to Odyssey 7 Q/Q+, right ?

It has options for both 4K and UHD. 2K and HD. I mostly used the RAW to ProRes workflow instead of recording DNG's. They looked great and saved on space.

You don't need the HXR unit. You do have to get the FS RAW update though on the Odyssey 7Q which is $799. Also the FS-700 has to have the 4K Raw firmware upgrade.

You probably are ... :grin: I feel like Groucho Marx being hustled in "A day at the Races" by Chico & Harpo ... 
"Tootsi-frootsi-icecream !"
Will have a look at it and here's some info about the transfer-formats to Sonys solution !

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-latest-hxrifr5.shtml

I cannot access the pictures as I'm not a member, but post them here, AaronChicago .  It's OK .

13 minutes ago, TVDino said:

You probably are ... :grin: I feel like Groucho Marx being hustled in "A day at the Races" by Chico & Harpo ... 
"Tootsi-frootsi-icecream !"
Will have a look at it and here's some info about the transfer-formats to Sonys solution !

I cannot access the pictures as I'm not a member, but post them here, AaronChicago .  It's OK .

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-latest-hxrifr5.shtml

Yeah, I'll PM you.

I voted balance good equipment with post production. But I'm a hypocrite, as I put in a preorder for a Red Raven. And, I have my reasons... If you have to know what those reasons are... You can PM me.

Get whatever equipment that makes you happy... And actually do something with it, instead of worrying about the specs... 

Most of us here are independent filmmakers, and we do it with what we can afford (not saying I can afford a RED, just know... My credit card balance will be huge... it's going to take some years and extra side work to pay it off... The upside....it's getting me into the RED ecosystem so that 10 years down the road... Top of the line BODY is the only thing I would need to get).

Now I just want to point out, it's always the content that matters... One of these days... At least one of us will make it big... And when that happens.... There is no brand loyalty in the business... You rent or the company provides you with a camera.... Hopefully it's the best camera... You film what you want to film... Return the cam... Edit and submit for the masses.

5 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

It has options for both 4K and UHD. 2K and HD. I mostly used the RAW to ProRes workflow instead of recording DNG's. They looked great and saved on space.

You don't need the HXR unit. You do have to get the FS RAW update though on the Odyssey 7Q which is $799. Also the FS-700 has to have the 4K Raw firmware upgrade.

Aaron, how's the color on the FS700. I always forget about this sleeping giant.

Isn't the Ursa Mini 4.6k kind of a Holy Grail? The 4k for $4k RED promised once upon a time. Yea there's a magenta thing, and it's too sharp out of the box, but damn... I guess it's got teething problems but no mid tier Sony grunge colours and no shortage of recording options. Especially compared to Red's croppy shenanigans. 

Reliability is everything though. That said I've heard many Red horror stories too. User error? Not sure if that got fixed with Epic/ Scarlet or Dragon or Balrog level 19 MiniBoss 

2 hours ago, Chrisis said:

Isn't the Ursa Mini 4.6k kind of a Holy Grail? The 4k for $4k RED promised once upon a time. Yea there's a magenta thing, and it's too sharp out of the box, but damn... I guess it's got teething problems but no mid tier Sony grunge colours and no shortage of recording options. Especially compared to Red's croppy shenanigans. 

Reliability is everything though. That said I've heard many Red horror stories too. User error? Not sure if that got fixed with Epic/ Scarlet or Dragon or Balrog level 19 MiniBoss 

Huh? Your thoughts are not organized in the above. Ursa, Red and Sony all in one paragraph, which one has the magenta thing? What's Balrog level 19 Miniboss?

45 minutes ago, kaylee said:

thats the developmental name of RED® TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER™® – 8K for $80k coming soon

For some reason, I found tombstone piledriver funnier... May be cause I'm a wrestling fan... May be cause Kaylee wrote it like that with the trademarks and everything.

lol... I'm still laughing at the tombstone piledriver... It actually sounds like a camera or tool... Made me think of other stupid names like the RED 16K StoneCold Stunner

A few key points are missing....

What do you specifically NEED?

What features do you "WANT"?

What are you doing/using NOW?

Also, as a general rule: never ever borrow money for a camera!! (Not unless you're very certain about a quick and healthy ROI)