Canon 18-80mm f4

User

45 minutes ago, WyattMaurer said:

I don't understand the people saying there won't be a market for it and that it will be a niche product. There are probably tons of people with c300s (though not a ton at EOSHD) that do run and gun stuff for whom this would be perfect. The servo let's you cover things on the fly incredibly well and you get and you get an unimpeachable image at a constant aperture in a pretty useful zoom range. T4.4 isn't a huge deal if you have a camera that performs well at higher iso and the lens is a fraction of the cost of a lot of other servo zooms. 

Some people at EOSHD seem to act like if it doesn't appeal to the Blackmagic, GH4 crowd then there is going to be no demand for it, but there is a whole market of video professionals that are probably psyched about this.

The servo's not even a hand grip...? As I say, there was the F3 servo that barely any F3 users bought... I just can't see how this will be much different. Yes it will find its market. But will it be huge?

What's the cinema market like for a T4.4 zoom? I don't know that its huge. 

What's the ENG/events market like for a T4.4 servo? I don't know. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Just add a 0.71x SB to your 24-105 and you have a 17-75mm f/2.8

Hi Brian,
I've never laid my hands on SpeedBooster, but if what you've mentioned is true then this would be interesting to me. Only downside is the non-constant aperture when zooming but that wouldn't be the end of the world. And I seem to remember that on the Cx00 line there is some kind of auto-illumination/ compensation feature no?
Does the SB adapt a Canon mount to a Canon body? For sure it must or you wouldn't have mentioned it right?

• Super Members
6 hours ago, jax_rox said:

The servo's not even a hand grip...? As I say, there was the F3 servo that barely any F3 users bought... I just can't see how this will be much different. Yes it will find its market. But will it be huge?

What's the cinema market like for a T4.4 zoom? I don't know that its huge. 

What's the ENG/events market like for a T4.4 servo? I don't know. 

I dont think this lens is for those who bought an F3. This is for ENG and the F3 is not a very good ENG camera imo. Atleast I never ever see it among reporters.

Canon on the other hand has a massive user base in ENG and Run n Gun. 

5 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

That large, boring market, like entry-level DSLRs for stills, drives the market. Best not to write it off, because it affects all of us.

I'm not writing it off. It's a huge market. I even personally traded up from entry-level DLRs to a C100 first chance I had, which I paid off quickly and now use for occasional paychecks and mostly for fun and promotional work for myself. I love that camera, and I even was really happy with my old Canon dSLRs. The ergonomics are fantastic, image seems great to me, too, all that i need 90% of the time, but it rents poorly tbh. And I meanwhile watched friends with C300s pull a constant $600-$1000/day and do some work that looked great to me–and that's still vastly less than high end shooters making $10k dry per day and using a rented Amira someone else paid for.

But low end pros represent a boring market despite their prevalence. The epitome of "good enough." Shooters with lower aspirations and vastly less skill than most here have. Canon pros are just journeyman shooters who are content to pay rent and for whom $10-$20k/month shooting branded content is worth more than artistic integrity. Meanwhile, the shooters here aspire to beat Oscar-winners at their own game with a thousandth the budget, and many here own production companies billing seven figures in revenue and hundreds of thousands in profit a year but who still aren't content with the banal images they're getting it seems from lenses like this. To me, this lens seems like a great product for the price and one I'd love to use could I afford it, but it undeniably caters to low end pros–pragmatists and hacks. This forum is for high end amateurs, that is to say artists–not small-minded paycheck hacks.

I'm broke, so I'm more of a hack. I wasn't born into money and I have serious expenses I need to pay off in a city where $80k presents a yearly living wage and I just don't care that much about art if it lets me save bills for a mortgage down payment or PS4. If I had a better eye I'd think otherwise, maybe. I don't know. To me this represents a good investment, not an artistic shortcoming. Pathetic, I know. :/ 

So as regards market, let's not forget how smart this kind of product is. I know first hand. And it seems myopic for better shooters to dismiss it just because their better content is pulling them enough money to forget the little guys, or they're just artists for whom money is immaterial. This lens is from a company. It's about money and market research. For those who purchase it, it's about, money, too. Let's not dismiss that. Like for like.

But as regards aesthetics, let's dismiss it readily. I don't have the luxury to do so, but I commend those of better taste who do; their art is our hope for a better future. Look at the garbage in cinemas today. When you reject a product like this you demand better from everyone. Don't forget your taste or talent; it exceeds the hacks that seek to bring you down. Demand more. Create better. Create art that demands more from others, that offers them better but also asks for better in return. A lot of what I read here confuses me, but I know recognize that that's good–great art confuses at first. It transcends the explicable. 

Don't be so small-minded.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
5 hours ago, User said:

Hi Brian,
I've never laid my hands on SpeedBooster, but if what you've mentioned is true then this would be interesting to me. Only downside is the non-constant aperture when zooming but that wouldn't be the end of the world. And I seem to remember that on the Cx00 line there is some kind of auto-illumination/ compensation feature no?
Does the SB adapt a Canon mount to a Canon body? For sure it must or you wouldn't have mentioned it right?

Nope sorry.

Speed-boosted Canon lenses only work on mirrorless mounts (m43s/e-mount, etc).

The closest you can get to this thing as an all-round zoom for the C100II is the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, pretty great combo.

10 hours ago, Policar said:

I'm not writing it off. It's a huge market. I even personally traded up from entry-level DLRs to a C100 first chance I had, which I paid off quickly and now use for occasional paychecks and mostly for fun and promotional work for myself. I love that camera, and I even was really happy with my old Canon dSLRs. The ergonomics are fantastic, image seems great to me, too, all that i need 90% of the time, but it rents poorly tbh. And I meanwhile watched friends with C300s pull a constant $600-$1000/day and do some work that looked great to me–and that's still vastly less than high end shooters making $10k dry per day and using a rented Amira someone else paid for.

But low end pros represent a boring market despite their prevalence. The epitome of "good enough." Shooters with lower aspirations and vastly less skill than most here have. Canon pros are just journeyman shooters who are content to pay rent and for whom $10-$20k/month shooting branded content is worth more than artistic integrity. Meanwhile, the shooters here aspire to beat Oscar-winners at their own game with a thousandth the budget, and many here own production companies billing seven figures in revenue and hundreds of thousands in profit a year but who still aren't content with the banal images they're getting it seems from lenses like this. To me, this lens seems like a great product for the price and one I'd love to use could I afford it, but it undeniably caters to low end pros–pragmatists and hacks. This forum is for high end amateurs, that is to say artists–not small-minded paycheck hacks.

I'm broke, so I'm more of a hack. I wasn't born into money and I have serious expenses I need to pay off in a city where $80k presents a yearly living wage and I just don't care that much about art if it lets me save bills for a mortgage down payment or PS4. If I had a better eye I'd think otherwise, maybe. I don't know. To me this represents a good investment, not an artistic shortcoming. Pathetic, I know. :/ 

So as regards market, let's not forget how smart this kind of product is. I know first hand. And it seems myopic for better shooters to dismiss it just because their better content is pulling them enough money to forget the little guys, or they're just artists for whom money is immaterial. This lens is from a company. It's about money and market research. For those who purchase it, it's about, money, too. Let's not dismiss that. Like for like.

But as regards aesthetics, let's dismiss it readily. I don't have the luxury to do so, but I commend those of better taste who do; their art is our hope for a better future. Look at the garbage in cinemas today. When you reject a product like this you demand better from everyone. Don't forget your taste or talent; it exceeds the hacks that seek to bring you down. Demand more. Create better. Create art that demands more from others, that offers them better but also asks for better in return. A lot of what I read here confuses me, but I know recognize that that's good–great art confuses at first. It transcends the explicable. 

Don't be so small-minded.

This is a really weird post Policar... I don't understand how you can dismiss this lens on the aesthetics of it's image when only a press release has been released. It's a Canon cine zoom so it will probably look and perform great. You act like people who are using it would be compromising their precious artistic integrity somehow and that all people who do video work without artistic motivations are hacks who are below the great minds of this forum. Then you assert that the person you are quoting shouldn't be so small-minded...

On 4/15/2016 at 2:52 AM, AaronChicago said:

Brian, I actually did use this combo with the FS700 and loved it. I'm using the Ursa mini 4.6k now and have to attach via EF. :confused:

Sorry - I overlooked the EF camera mount restriction.  I hope Canon, Blackmagic, etc. will wake up one day and do the straightforward engineering needed to fix this.

1 hour ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Sorry - I overlooked the EF camera mount restriction.  I hope Canon, Blackmagic, etc. will wake up one day and do the straightforward engineering needed to fix this.

Blackmagic should make a deal with you and offer their cameras with build in speedboosters.

11 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

why so?

Well Bror, I don't think it makes any sense, do you really want me to enumerate all the self evident reasons?

If your sensor is aps-c, why use m43 glass on it? Cropping into the sensor because you bought some m43s glass? Having to handle thousands of adapters that are another moving part, make it harder to handle,etc... all because some guy could want to use m43 glass on it? Makes no sense. They have the EF mount there for a good reason.

Eventually there will be a common used, short flange mount, that was designed for larger sensors. If there is glass to justify the use of that mount, it will be used. Meanwhile EF mount is the way to go.

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Well, I don't think so, adapters are a pain in the ass.

You dont even need adapters. Plenty of m4/3 cover s35 (all rokkinon for example) and there are plenty of nice m4/3 lenses. Adapters and speedboosters is just another option/tool.

Sony have understod it. They use a short flange for s35 and FF. And it seems popular.

But since Sony doesnt allow other companys to use the E-Mount, MFT on s35 remains the best, most versitile and least painful lens/sensor combo imo.