Examples of Anamorphic ratios contrasted with 16:9?

Daniel P Redding

So I took my GH4 anamorphic rig along to a beech at 5am to film some of my mate setting up to do some drone stuff... Here's the outcome of that little excursion and I really like the 2.35:1 anamorphic intro contrasted with the big wide 16:9 shot, but I wondered if anyone has any good examples of projects where aspects mix in one sequence/edit?  Hope that makes sense.  So letter boxes appear and disappear and what people think of that?  

Thanks

Dan  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, Daniel P Redding said:

I wondered if anyone has any good examples of projects where aspects mix in one sequence/edit?  Hope that makes sense.  So letter boxes appear and disappear and what people think of that?  

Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises are two obvious modern examples....there have been many over the years where 'traditional' scope formats have been intercut with Imax material , or simply for use as a creative device in the narrative. To minimise Aspect 'jump' - many home video transfers slowly expand the black bars out to reveal a 'taller' (often center cropped) aspect. (for when film is conformed for 16:9 being fullest image area to showcase letterboxed and 'square' Imax or 4:3 archieval format material

You'd probably be able to outfit that Inspire 1 with a small focus-through 1.5x or 1.33x  anamorphic, and get some pretty good results...if I had a drone, it would be the first thing I'd do :)

1 hour ago, Bold said:

This video cites several films which switch (or otherwise play with) aspect ratios.

This is great!  Thank-you!

1 hour ago, Hans Punk said:

Interstellar and The Dark Knight Rises are two obvious modern examples....there have been many over the years where 'traditional' scope formats have been intercut with Imax material , or simply for use as a creative device in the narrative. To minimise Aspect 'jump' - many home video transfers slowly expand the black bars out to reveal a 'taller' (often center cropped) aspect. (for when film is conformed for 16:9 being fullest image area to showcase letterboxed and 'square' Imax or 4:3 archieval format material

You'd probably be able to outfit that Inspire 1 with a small focus-through 1.5x or 1.33x  anamorphic, and get some pretty good results...if I had a drone, it would be the first thing I'd do :)

Just found another one too! 

I remember watching that film and not even noticing that...

It's actually not my drone, but a mates, but I'll definitely look into that.. Got any examples of people doing that?

26 minutes ago, tweak said:

I'm generally not a fan of changing aspects.

Yeah, I gathered there was a bit of a stigma to it...

28 minutes ago, Daniel P Redding said:

It's actually not my drone, but a mates, but I'll definitely look into that.. Got any examples of people doing that?

Nope, that's why I'd try it

not sure what sensor size is on the Inspire's camera, (think the lens is 20mm?) so you'd have to work out what scope lens would cover on its native wide lens without vignette.